Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows Temp Files

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
September 1, 2005 2:37:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I am having some trouble and it's driving me batty.

I use Windows ME
I always keep the folder cleaned out daily.

I tried to delete all files in my TEMP folder and there
is one that it won't let me delete. The file is just a image file.
It gives me an message
"Can't delete file may be in use." (I have also tried to
rename it and moving it)
So what I did was tried to delete the rest not
including it and then I will get another file
that is says, is in use also a image file. Then
It won't let me just close the window I have
to do the Alt Ctrl Del and end task. Then
open it again. Then it will let me delete some more
of the others. Until it stops again.
What could be the problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

More about : windows temp files

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:18:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Why not try using the interface provided to delete these files?

Control Panel | Internet Options | General - Delete Files. Check the box
"Delete all offline content", OK and then OK again.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com



helpless <helpless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am having some trouble and it's driving me batty.
>
> I use Windows ME
> I always keep the folder cleaned out daily.
>
> I tried to delete all files in my TEMP folder and there
> is one that it won't let me delete. The file is just a image file.
> It gives me an message
> "Can't delete file may be in use." (I have also tried to
> rename it and moving it)
> So what I did was tried to delete the rest not
> including it and then I will get another file
> that is says, is in use also a image file. Then
> It won't let me just close the window I have
> to do the Alt Ctrl Del and end task. Then
> open it again. Then it will let me delete some more
> of the others. Until it stops again.
> What could be the problem?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
September 1, 2005 10:28:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Yes, I did try that, but also tried again. They are still there. Not that
they would be harmful but it concerns me of the reason they can't be
removed. (some sort of spy file or something??) Don't want to sound
paranoid but... Upon trying to find out, there is a .temp file at the same
time and date and a log file at that time but log file was empty. I didn't
know
if maybe the tmp file might have gave some clues.
Please if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thank you for your time.


"Mike M" wrote:

> Why not try using the interface provided to delete these files?
>
> Control Panel | Internet Options | General - Delete Files. Check the box
> "Delete all offline content", OK and then OK again.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
>
> helpless <helpless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I am having some trouble and it's driving me batty.
> >
> > I use Windows ME
> > I always keep the folder cleaned out daily.
> >
> > I tried to delete all files in my TEMP folder and there
> > is one that it won't let me delete. The file is just a image file.
> > It gives me an message
> > "Can't delete file may be in use." (I have also tried to
> > rename it and moving it)
> > So what I did was tried to delete the rest not
> > including it and then I will get another file
> > that is says, is in use also a image file. Then
> > It won't let me just close the window I have
> > to do the Alt Ctrl Del and end task. Then
> > open it again. Then it will let me delete some more
> > of the others. Until it stops again.
> > What could be the problem?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated!
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:46:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Boot to Safe Mode and try again.

What are the names and file extensions of the files you are trying to
remove? If the file is index.dat then no, you cannot delete this whilst
Windows us running as it is part of the system and in continuous use
whilst Win Me is running. At worst you may have to boot to DOS using a
floppy and then delete the file from the DOS prompt.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com


helpless <helpless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Yes, I did try that, but also tried again. They are still there.
> Not that they would be harmful but it concerns me of the reason they
> can't be removed. (some sort of spy file or something??) Don't want
> to sound paranoid but... Upon trying to find out, there is a .temp
> file at the same time and date and a log file at that time but log
> file was empty. I didn't know
> if maybe the tmp file might have gave some clues.
> Please if you have any other suggestions please let me know.
>
> Thank you for your time.
September 2, 2005 6:46:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

The file is a image file it is a .jpg and the other files would be also image
files but they were .gif files. There is no logical reason for the ones it
decides to not allow you to delete. Also whenever I try to do anything in
the TEMP folder it locks my window. Then I have to "end task". Thanks for
your help.

"Mike M" wrote:

> Boot to Safe Mode and try again.
>
> What are the names and file extensions of the files you are trying to
> remove? If the file is index.dat then no, you cannot delete this whilst
> Windows us running as it is part of the system and in continuous use
> whilst Win Me is running. At worst you may have to boot to DOS using a
> floppy and then delete the file from the DOS prompt.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> helpless <helpless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, I did try that, but also tried again. They are still there.
> > Not that they would be harmful but it concerns me of the reason they
> > can't be removed. (some sort of spy file or something??) Don't want
> > to sound paranoid but... Upon trying to find out, there is a .temp
> > file at the same time and date and a log file at that time but log
> > file was empty. I didn't know
> > if maybe the tmp file might have gave some clues.
> > Please if you have any other suggestions please let me know.
> >
> > Thank you for your time.
>
>
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 1:18:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

So what happened when you tried deleting these files in Safe Mode?
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com


helpless <helpless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The file is a image file it is a .jpg and the other files would be
> also image files but they were .gif files. There is no logical
> reason for the ones it decides to not allow you to delete. Also
> whenever I try to do anything in the TEMP folder it locks my window.
> Then I have to "end task". Thanks for your help.
September 3, 2005 12:22:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

At the risk of sounding dumb...=) I am not certain how to do it.
While reading other posts and such I am half afraid to do anything.
In fear of I might mess things up bad. Could you possibly give me
some instruction? Thanks so much!!!


"Mike M" wrote:

> So what happened when you tried deleting these files in Safe Mode?
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> helpless <helpless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > The file is a image file it is a .jpg and the other files would be
> > also image files but they were .gif files. There is no logical
> > reason for the ones it decides to not allow you to delete. Also
> > whenever I try to do anything in the TEMP folder it locks my window.
> > Then I have to "end task". Thanks for your help.
>
>
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 9:57:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hi,
To startup in Safe Mode, restart the computer and hit the F8 key about once
per second until you get to startup options. Or use the alternate (msconfig)
method at
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/doci...

Stubborn files can also be deleted with the free program KillBox from
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/killbox.php or
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Pocket_KillBox_d4709.html
Be careful. KillBox doesn't know good files from bad- it deletes whatever
you tell it to delete.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"helpless" <helpless[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A7A9382E-AB99-47DB-A72D-4812807E1B7D@microsoft.com...
> At the risk of sounding dumb...=) I am not certain how to do it.
> While reading other posts and such I am half afraid to do anything.
> In fear of I might mess things up bad. Could you possibly give me
> some instruction? Thanks so much!!!

> "Mike M" wrote:
>
> > So what happened when you tried deleting these files in Safe Mode?
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:35:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Boot to Safe Mode:
Do this by rebooting and gently tapping Ctrl immediately following the
white text on black POST screen. If that doesn't take you to Safe Mode
(it should) then repeat but instead of tapping Ctrl tap F8.

If you are still unable to enter Safe Mode boot Win Me normally then
use MSConfig (Start, Run and enter MSConfig in the box and click OK),
open the General tab and then click Advanced and you will find there the
option "Enable Startup Menu". Check this, OK out, close MSConfig and
reboot. You should now be presented with a boot menu from which you can
now choose to boot to Safe Mode.

Once you are in Safe Mode try deleting the files again.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com


helpless <helpless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> At the risk of sounding dumb...=) I am not certain how to do it.
> While reading other posts and such I am half afraid to do anything.
> In fear of I might mess things up bad. Could you possibly give me
> some instruction? Thanks so much!!!
September 13, 2005 1:42:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Sorry it has been so long since I replied, so real life issues prevented me
from
getting back until now. The instructions you gave me worked. It's working
like a charm now. Thank you so much for all of your help!


"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> To startup in Safe Mode, restart the computer and hit the F8 key about once
> per second until you get to startup options. Or use the alternate (msconfig)
> method at
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/doci...
>
> Stubborn files can also be deleted with the free program KillBox from
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/killbox.php or
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/Pocket_KillBox_d4709.html
> Be careful. KillBox doesn't know good files from bad- it deletes whatever
> you tell it to delete.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>
> "helpless" <helpless[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A7A9382E-AB99-47DB-A72D-4812807E1B7D@microsoft.com...
> > At the risk of sounding dumb...=) I am not certain how to do it.
> > While reading other posts and such I am half afraid to do anything.
> > In fear of I might mess things up bad. Could you possibly give me
> > some instruction? Thanks so much!!!
>
> > "Mike M" wrote:
> >
> > > So what happened when you tried deleting these files in Safe Mode?
>
>
!