Athlon XP Motherboard Upgrade

macca

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004

Hi,

I am looking to squeeze the last possible performance out of my system by
replacing the motherboard. I am tryig to delay when i have to replace most
of my main components.

My current motherboard is an ABit KR7A-RAID motherboard. I have an Athon XP
2600+ proceesor.

I have an AGP 8x Geforce 5600 Ultra graphics card and 768MB of PC2100 DDR.
My hard disk is a 180Gb IDE Seagate Barracuda.

I would like to upgrade my motherboard and want to keep all the above
componets although I have some 333Mhz memory that I can use

I am looking to spend £50 maximum as this is a stop gap before i have to
sheel out on replacing everything with all the new shiny components that are
coming out now.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what would be a good motherboard to get?

Thanks In Advance
Macca

JohnS

It is not going to work. If you keep that cpu, you will
just be spending money for nothing on a new mobo.
If anything, get a better video card ( ATI 9800 ),
and up the ram to 1 gig. You'll need a new psupply
because the 9800 won't tolerate a cheap one. I
recommend an ANTEC SLK1650B case with 350
watt psupply. With those additions, you are moving
forward, for future upgrade .. to AMD64.

johns

Macca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to squeeze the last possible performance out of my
system by
> replacing the motherboard. I am tryig to delay when i have to replace
most
> of my main components.
>
> My current motherboard is an ABit KR7A-RAID motherboard. I have an
Athon XP
> 2600+ proceesor.
>
> I have an AGP 8x Geforce 5600 Ultra graphics card and 768MB of PC2100
DDR.
> My hard disk is a 180Gb IDE Seagate Barracuda.
>
> I would like to upgrade my motherboard and want to keep all the above
> componets although I have some 333Mhz memory that I can use
>
> I am looking to spend £50 maximum as this is a stop gap before i
have to
> sheel out on replacing everything with all the new shiny components
that are
> coming out now.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions on what would be a good motherboard to
get?

I wouldn't bother. I think your m/b is supposed to be fairly good (I
have an original KD7). The only thing I would recommend is moving to
faster memory, or if you did get a new board one with dual memory
channels, if you have two 333MHz modules. Actually, my system is
almost identical but with lower specs. Last time I looked KD7A's were
still selling for around £30, so upto £50 won't give must of a
performance increase.