nackered old laptop and the internet

i need a dial up isp that allows an old 486 laptop to access the internet
over a bt (uk) landline, and be charged to the phone bill . i've tried all
sorts of companys but get screwed over by diallers needing a more recent
computer of credit card requirements.

many thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about nackered laptop internet

    Never tried it, but you could try http://adial.co.uk/

    It looks like you don't need to register, pay (other than the phone
    call), or install any software.

    is not the laptop...its the encryption level of your browser.

    "strawberry" <1@2.com> wrote in message
    > i need a dial up isp that allows an old 486 laptop to access the internet
    > over a bt (uk) landline, and be charged to the phone bill . i've tried all
    > sorts of companys but get screwed over by diallers needing a more recent
    > computer of credit card requirements.
    >

    > many thanks

    "strawberry" <1@2.com> wrote in message
    > i need a dial up isp that allows an old 486 laptop to access the internet
    > over a bt (uk) landline,

    You should only need a modem that works with your laptop, just set up a
    dial-up session in "Network and dial-up settings" with your chosen ISPs
    details.

    The ISPs say they only work with a new computer because they want you to run
    a setup progran so that you dont have to call them up for the settings etc.
    Its a lot easier for them to just say 'double click the easysetup icon'
    rather than talk you through it. Don't forget that you will only use their
    services while on the web :-)

    Adam S

    In article <d3oetd$mkm$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
    Adam S <as538nospam@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

    >"strawberry" <1@2.com> wrote in message
    >> i need a dial up isp that allows an old 486 laptop to access the internet
    >> over a bt (uk) landline,
    >
    >You should only need a modem that works with your laptop, just set up a
    >dial-up session in "Network and dial-up settings" with your chosen ISPs
    >details.
    >
    >The ISPs say they only work with a new computer because they want you to run
    >a setup progran so that you dont have to call them up for the settings etc.
    >Its a lot easier for them to just say 'double click the easysetup icon'
    >rather than talk you through it. Don't forget that you will only use their
    >services while on the web :-)
    >
    >Adam S

    Is this a DOS or a Win95 machine and what are yoiu trying to
    accomplish ?

    Most laptops have a built-in modem, I think.

    For Windows, IMO the software the ISP gives you is unnecessary and
    just spyware. You can figure you how to set up the dialer by
    yourself.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Homebuilt Laptops Internet Service Providers Dial Up Connection Systems