Display properties tabs missing

In Windows ME after a virus attack (desktop hijacker) The Thems/and Desktop
tabs are missing from the Display Properties dialog box.
I have already tried reinstalling Windows ME.
What should I do? I tried the Microsoft Web Site but could not find an
answer.
Thank you in advance,
Loretta

You reinstalled ME? (from the on-disk CAB files, or from CD?)
What version of IE did you have on before the reinstall??
What does Help|About show for IE now??

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
> In Windows ME after a virus attack (desktop hijacker) The Thems/and
> Desktop tabs are missing from the Display Properties dialog box.
> I have already tried reinstalling Windows ME.
> What should I do? I tried the Microsoft Web Site but could not find an
> answer.
> Thank you in advance,
> Loretta

Have you actually installed Desktop Themes?
The tab will not be there if you haven't. e.g. I chose not to install
them, so I don't have such a tab in Display.
Install via Control Panel-Add/Remove-Windows Setup-Desktop Themes.

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:46:11 -0400, "Loretta"
<lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote:

>In Windows ME after a virus attack (desktop hijacker) The Thems/and Desktop
>tabs are missing from the Display Properties dialog box.
>I have already tried reinstalling Windows ME.
>What should I do? I tried the Microsoft Web Site but could not find an
>answer.
>Thank you in advance,
>Loretta

I installed from the Install folder on the hard drive.
Loretta
> You reinstalled ME? (from the on-disk CAB files, or from CD?)
> What version of IE did you have on before the reinstall??
> What does Help|About show for IE now??
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>> In Windows ME after a virus attack (desktop hijacker) The Thems/and
>> Desktop tabs are missing from the Display Properties dialog box.
>> I have already tried reinstalling Windows ME.
>> What should I do? I tried the Microsoft Web Site but could not find an
>> answer.
>> Thank you in advance,
>> Loretta

and......?????

--

>I installed from the Install folder on the hard drive.
> Loretta
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> You reinstalled ME? (from the on-disk CAB files, or from CD?)
>> What version of IE did you have on before the reinstall??
>> What does Help|About show for IE now??
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>>> In Windows ME after a virus attack (desktop hijacker) The Thems/and
>>> Desktop tabs are missing from the Display Properties dialog box.
>>> I have already tried reinstalling Windows ME.
>>> What should I do? I tried the Microsoft Web Site but could not find an
>>> answer.
>>> Thank you in advance,
>>> Loretta

IE 6.0
that's all I have.
> and......?????
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>>I installed from the Install folder on the hard drive.
>> Loretta
>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>> You reinstalled ME? (from the on-disk CAB files, or from CD?)
>>> What version of IE did you have on before the reinstall??
>>> What does Help|About show for IE now??
>>>

>>> --
>>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>>
>>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>>
>>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
>>> NG's
>>>
>>> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message

Loretta
Open IE, and click on Help
then click on About...

What Exactly does it report??

download Belarc Advisor from www.belarc.com - install, and run it - what
does it report about the state of your Hotfixes??

--

> IE 6.0
> that's all I have.
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> and......?????
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>>>I installed from the Install folder on the hard drive.
>>> Loretta
>>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

'version: 6.0.2800.1IC
Cipher Strength: 128 bit
Oridyct UDL 55736-819-6789264-04234
Udate Versions:; SP1; Q896727; Q837009; Q891781; Q887797'

Based on NCSA Mosaic. NCSA Mosaic(TM); was developed at the National Center
for super computerin Applications at the University of Illnois at
Urbana-Champaign.
Distributed under a licensing agreement with Spyglass, Inc.
Contains security software licensed from RSA Data Security Inc.

There is a little more but it has to do with design.
There is not active desktop options either. This could have been planned
except while the virus was active it kept asking me if I wanted to restore
my active
This is a customized verzion of Internet Explorer.
Thank you,
Loretta

> Loretta
> Open IE, and click on Help
> then click on About...
>
> What Exactly does it report??
>
> download Belarc Advisor from www.belarc.com - install, and run it - what
> does it report about the state of your Hotfixes??
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>> IE 6.0
>> that's all I have.
>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>> and......?????
>>>

>>> --
>>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>>
>>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>>
>>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
>>> NG's
>>>
>>> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message

,,,and the Belarc report??

You're missing two updates (which may not be critical at this point) -
891781 and 896727

--

> 'version: 6.0.2800.1IC
> Cipher Strength: 128 bit
> Oridyct UDL 55736-819-6789264-04234
> Udate Versions:; SP1; Q896727; Q837009; Q891781; Q887797'
>
> Based on NCSA Mosaic. NCSA Mosaic(TM); was developed at the National
> Center for super computerin Applications at the University of Illnois at
> Urbana-Champaign.
> Distributed under a licensing agreement with Spyglass, Inc.
> Contains security software licensed from RSA Data Security Inc.
>
> There is a little more but it has to do with design.
> There is not active desktop options either. This could have been planned
> except while the virus was active it kept asking me if I wanted to
> restore my active
> This is a customized verzion of Internet Explorer.
> Thank you,
> Loretta
>
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> Loretta
>> Open IE, and click on Help
>> then click on About...
>>
>> What Exactly does it report??
>>
>> download Belarc Advisor from www.belarc.com - install, and run it - what
>> does it report about the state of your Hotfixes??
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>>> IE 6.0
>>> that's all I have.
>>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Hi Noel,
I just wanted to let you know that the customer just notified me that the
computer was set up without the background tab and without active desktop. I
got the themes to work by putting the icon on the desktop. It will not let
me add it to control panel.
I thank you for all help.
Loretta
> ,,,and the Belarc report??
>
> You're missing two updates (which may not be critical at this point) -
> 891781 and 896727
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>> 'version: 6.0.2800.1IC
>> Cipher Strength: 128 bit
>> Oridyct UDL 55736-819-6789264-04234
>> Udate Versions:; SP1; Q896727; Q837009; Q891781; Q887797'
>>
>> Based on NCSA Mosaic. NCSA Mosaic(TM); was developed at the National
>> Center for super computerin Applications at the University of Illnois at
>> Urbana-Champaign.
>> Distributed under a licensing agreement with Spyglass, Inc.
>> Contains security software licensed from RSA Data Security Inc.
>>
>> There is a little more but it has to do with design.
>> There is not active desktop options either. This could have been planned
>> except while the virus was active it kept asking me if I wanted to
>> restore my active
>> This is a customized verzion of Internet Explorer.
>> Thank you,
>> Loretta
>>
>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Loretta
>>> Open IE, and click on Help
>>> then click on About...
>>>
>>> What Exactly does it report??
>>>
>>> download Belarc Advisor from www.belarc.com - install, and run it - what
>>> does it report about the state of your Hotfixes??
>>>

>>> --
>>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>>
>>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>>
>>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
>>> NG's
>>>
>>> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message

Irrespective of what the setup was, the tab should still be available - if
only to activate it, should you be so foolish as to wish to do so!

I trust you're not giving the client back a machine that isn't fully
patched?

--

> Hi Noel,
> I just wanted to let you know that the customer just notified me that the
> computer was set up without the background tab and without active desktop.
> I got the themes to work by putting the icon on the desktop. It will not
> let me add it to control panel.
> I thank you for all help.
> Loretta
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> ,,,and the Belarc report??
>>
>> You're missing two updates (which may not be critical at this point) -
>> 891781 and 896727
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>>> 'version: 6.0.2800.1IC
>>> Cipher Strength: 128 bit
>>> Oridyct UDL 55736-819-6789264-04234
>>> Udate Versions:; SP1; Q896727; Q837009; Q891781; Q887797'
>>>
>>> Based on NCSA Mosaic. NCSA Mosaic(TM); was developed at the National
>>> Center for super computerin Applications at the University of Illnois at
>>> Urbana-Champaign.
>>> Distributed under a licensing agreement with Spyglass, Inc.
>>> Contains security software licensed from RSA Data Security Inc.
>>>
>>> There is a little more but it has to do with design.
>>> There is not active desktop options either. This could have been planned
>>> except while the virus was active it kept asking me if I wanted to
>>> restore my active
>>> This is a customized verzion of Internet Explorer.
>>> Thank you,
>>> Loretta
>>>
>>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

'special software' worries me - particularly in Win ME (which most
'reputable' software houses ignored as a Windows version).
You need to educate the owner, as well as yourself!
WHAT 'special software' - and was it really that 'special'??

--

>I told the customer what was going on and he said that was the way it was
>originally set up. The school that set it up for him has special software
>to prevent students from putting pictures on the desktops. They are only
>allowed to change the color.
> Thank Noel,
> Loretta
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> Irrespective of what the setup was, the tab should still be available -
>> if only to activate it, should you be so foolish as to wish to do so!
>>
>> I trust you're not giving the client back a machine that isn't fully
>> patched?
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Noel,
>>> I just wanted to let you know that the customer just notified me that
>>> the computer was set up without the background tab and without active
>>> desktop. I got the themes to work by putting the icon on the desktop. It
>>> will not let me add it to control panel.
>>> I thank you for all help.
>>> Loretta
>>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

I do not need education about ME. Tons of other things but not the pitfalls
of ME. Some people just cannot aford to upgrade. So I do the best I can for
them. This particular person had this computer given to him because after
being disabled he could not afford one.

Who mentioned upgrading?

--

>I do not need education about ME. Tons of other things but not the pitfalls
>of ME. Some people just cannot aford to upgrade. So I do the best I can
>for them. This particular person had this computer given to him because
>after being disabled he could not afford one.
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> 'special software' worries me - particularly in Win ME (which most
>> 'reputable' software houses ignored as a Windows version).
>> You need to educate the owner, as well as yourself!
>> WHAT 'special software' - and was it really that 'special'??
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>>>I told the customer what was going on and he said that was the way it was
>>>originally set up. The school that set it up for him has special software
>>>to prevent students from putting pictures on the desktops. They are only
>>>allowed to change the color.
>>> Thank Noel,
>>> Loretta
>>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

I did. As apposed to reformating and going new Win XP. What I did do though
was make sure all the updates were completed. What would you have done?
> Who mentioned upgrading?
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>>I do not need education about ME. Tons of other things but not the
>>pitfalls of ME. Some people just cannot aford to upgrade. So I do the
>>best I can for them. This particular person had this computer given to him
>>because after being disabled he could not afford one.
>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>> 'special software' worries me - particularly in Win ME (which most
>>> 'reputable' software houses ignored as a Windows version).
>>> You need to educate the owner, as well as yourself!
>>> WHAT 'special software' - and was it really that 'special'??
>>>

>>> --
>>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>>
>>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>>
>>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
>>> NG's
>>>
>>> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message

Checked out the 'special software' to see what it actually does - and
updated the OS and installed programs (Office, etc) to current status.
Not a lot else you can do, but 'special programs' worry me, as they're often
written by inept programmers and introduce more problems than they're
supposed to prevent.

--

>I did. As apposed to reformating and going new Win XP. What I did do though
>was make sure all the updates were completed. What would you have done?
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> Who mentioned upgrading?
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Loretta" <lorettaa@anderson-computer.com> wrote in message
>>>I do not need education about ME. Tons of other things but not the
>>>pitfalls of ME. Some people just cannot aford to upgrade. So I do the
>>>best I can for them. This particular person had this computer given to
>>>him because after being disabled he could not afford one.
>>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

TRENDING THREADS