HELP with new Motherboard/ram installation problems

Hi,

I just bought the Asus A7N8X-X motherboard and 512MB PC3200 ram..but
when I set everything up and start the system, I end up getting a
bluescreen with white writing then the computer reboots.

I also notice that my cpu is running at 1.1ghz when I start the
computer...anyone know why that is :?:
:arrow: My specs are listed below:

AMD Athlon Xp 1800+ (1.53ghz)
Asus A7N8X-X
512MB PC3200 DDR400
20GB HDD
40GB HDD
Leadtek Winfast A280 LE TDH MyVIVO (128MB, 8X AGP)
Sound Blaster Live Value (sound)
400W PSU
10/100 network

:idea: I also have Windows Xp Pro installed on the 20GB HDD (which I
read that it could be the cause..installation on different
Motherboard).

:arrow: It was installed when I was using my other computer which had
the Asus A7V333 motherboard.

If anyone can help, it'll be great.

Thanx
10 answers Last reply
More about help motherboard installation problems

    sypher0101 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought the Asus A7N8X-X motherboard and 512MB PC3200 ram..but
    > when I set everything up and start the system, I end up getting a
    > bluescreen with white writing then the computer reboots.
    >
    > I also notice that my cpu is running at 1.1ghz when I start the
    > computer...anyone know why that is :?:
    > :arrow: My specs are listed below:
    >
    > AMD Athlon Xp 1800+ (1.53ghz)
    > Asus A7N8X-X
    > 512MB PC3200 DDR400
    > 20GB HDD
    > 40GB HDD
    > Leadtek Winfast A280 LE TDH MyVIVO (128MB, 8X AGP)
    > Sound Blaster Live Value (sound)
    > 400W PSU
    > 10/100 network
    >
    > :idea: I also have Windows Xp Pro installed on the 20GB HDD (which I
    > read that it could be the cause..installation on different
    > Motherboard).
    >
    > :arrow: It was installed when I was using my other computer which
    had
    > the Asus A7V333 motherboard.
    >
    > If anyone can help, it'll be great.
    >
    > Thanx

    Yeah, I would've thought that you'd need to reinstall Windows. I think
    my m/b defaults to 600MHz when the BIOS is wiped, so maybe yours
    defaults to 1.1?

    As you said, you installed XP ON A DIFFERENT MOTHERBOARD. You now must
    reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of XP to avoid the problems
    you are having.

    --
    DaveW

    "sypher0101" <sypher0101@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought the Asus A7N8X-X motherboard and 512MB PC3200 ram..but
    > when I set everything up and start the system, I end up getting a
    > bluescreen with white writing then the computer reboots.
    >
    > I also notice that my cpu is running at 1.1ghz when I start the
    > computer...anyone know why that is :?:
    > :arrow: My specs are listed below:
    >
    > AMD Athlon Xp 1800+ (1.53ghz)
    > Asus A7N8X-X
    > 512MB PC3200 DDR400
    > 20GB HDD
    > 40GB HDD
    > Leadtek Winfast A280 LE TDH MyVIVO (128MB, 8X AGP)
    > Sound Blaster Live Value (sound)
    > 400W PSU
    > 10/100 network
    >
    > :idea: I also have Windows Xp Pro installed on the 20GB HDD (which I
    > read that it could be the cause..installation on different
    > Motherboard).
    >
    > :arrow: It was installed when I was using my other computer which had
    > the Asus A7V333 motherboard.
    >
    > If anyone can help, it'll be great.
    >
    > Thanx

    "sypher0101" <sypher0101@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought the Asus A7N8X-X motherboard and 512MB PC3200 ram..but
    > when I set everything up and start the system, I end up getting a
    > bluescreen with white writing then the computer reboots.
    >
    > I also notice that my cpu is running at 1.1ghz when I start the
    > computer...anyone know why that is :?:
    > :arrow: My specs are listed below:
    >
    > AMD Athlon Xp 1800+ (1.53ghz)

    That chip is supposed to run with a FSB of 133.33 and a multiplier of 11.5
    you curently have your FSB set to 100 which should give you 1.15GHz.
    Change the FSB in the BIOS to 133

    As for Windows, You will have to do a repair install. You will need to boot
    from the XP CD and do a repair install.

    sypher0101 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought the Asus A7N8X-X motherboard and 512MB PC3200 ram..but
    > when I set everything up and start the system, I end up getting a
    > bluescreen with white writing then the computer reboots.
    >
    > I also notice that my cpu is running at 1.1ghz when I start the
    > computer...anyone know why that is :?:

    Did you set the jumper on the mainboard to the proper FSB for your CPU?

    > :arrow: My specs are listed below:
    >
    > AMD Athlon Xp 1800+ (1.53ghz)
    > Asus A7N8X-X
    > 512MB PC3200 DDR400
    > 20GB HDD
    > 40GB HDD
    > Leadtek Winfast A280 LE TDH MyVIVO (128MB, 8X AGP)
    > Sound Blaster Live Value (sound)
    > 400W PSU
    > 10/100 network
    >
    > :idea: I also have Windows Xp Pro installed on the 20GB HDD (which I
    > read that it could be the cause..installation on different
    > Motherboard).

    You need to do a repair install when you change motherboards, or a clean
    install. Boot from the the XP cdrom, and go along as if you're going to
    do a clean install. Eventually it'll tell you it has found another XP
    install and ask if you want to repair it. Now you can perform the repair
    install. Avoid the repair conolse option unless you know what you're
    doing. (also, for future reference, always back up your data before
    attempting hardware changes, especially one as significant as a
    motherboard change)

    > :arrow: It was installed when I was using my other computer which had
    > the Asus A7V333 motherboard.
    >
    > If anyone can help, it'll be great.
    >
    > Thanx

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    Its Definatly XP, you cant just chuck in a O/S from a differnet
    computer. IT sometimes works but it is very risky and has corrupted
    my HDD last time i tried it. A fresh copy will go down a treat. What
    i would do is put the 20gb HDD on the other computer (if you still
    have it) and back up your data to a DVD or multiple CD's (if you dont
    have a DVD Burner) and then just copy the files from the DVD/CD onto
    the 40gb HDD. After that install windows on the 20gb HDD. Make sure
    you get the jumper settings right [one master (40gb) and one
    slave(20gb)]

    :D Thanx for the feedback guys...i'll probably do a Fresh Install of
    Windows.

    As for the Hard Drives, I currently have 2 harddrives which are both
    partitioned (2 drives per Harddrive..if u know what I mean).

    HDD#1
    partition 1 c: has windows
    partition 2 e: has general storage

    HDD#2
    partition 1 f: has Games
    partition 2 ?: has Media files (videos, music, pictures etc...)

    My other computer I had I sold to mum and dad cause they needed a new
    mobo/ram, but they don't use the comp much and didn't wanna spend
    alot getting new parts. :)

    anyway, Thanx again guys for the replies......hey that rymes :D

    > :D Thanx for the feedback guys...i'll probably do a Fresh Install of
    > Windows.

    If you have data that you need on the drive just do an in-place repair
    install of XP. No need to reformat.

    Ed

    > As for the Hard Drives, I currently have 2 harddrives which are both
    > partitioned (2 drives per Harddrive..if u know what I mean).
    >
    > HDD#1
    > partition 1 c: has windows
    > partition 2 e: has general storage
    >
    > HDD#2
    > partition 1 f: has Games
    > partition 2 ?: has Media files (videos, music, pictures etc...)
    >
    > My other computer I had I sold to mum and dad cause they needed a new
    > mobo/ram, but they don't use the comp much and didn't wanna spend
    > alot getting new parts. :)
    >
    > anyway, Thanx again guys for the replies......hey that rymes :D

    Spodosaurus :arrow: What r the 3 option ur refering to ??

    All i can think of is:

    1. Format and re-install Windows
    2. Do a 'Repair' on the operating system with with WinXp disk
    3. make sure the jumper on the motherboard is set sorrectly (like you
    suggested before)

    Are they whiat ur refering to as the 3 options?

    ALSO, my motherboard jumper setting for CPU FSB is set to,
    FSB400/333/266 (default), the other setting for it is FSB200.

    My CPU is the Athlon Xp 1800+ (1.53ghz) which has a FSB of 266mhz (i
    believe) so the jumper should be fine.

    ALSO Dave, why do I change my FSB in the BIOS to 133mhz, and what is
    it that runs at 133mhz?

    Thanx Ed Medlin, I do actually have data on the drive so i'll try the
    repair option.

    DaveW wrote:
    > As you said, you installed XP ON A DIFFERENT MOTHERBOARD. You now must
    > reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of XP to avoid the problems
    > you are having.

    As others have pointed out in similar threads, DaveW doesn't know what
    he's talking about. He hangs around this newsgroup just for threads like
    these and posts the same (incorrect) advice each time. Our other, very
    knowledgable, Dave is usually the first one to set him
    straight...repeatedly...but I thought I'd save him the effort. What
    DaveW has suggested is just one of three options for accomplishing this
    task, and it's not the one that most people choose.

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    sypher0101 wrote:

    > Spodosaurus :arrow: What r the 3 option ur refering to ??
    >
    > All i can think of is:
    >
    > 1. Format and re-install Windows
    > 2. Do a 'Repair' on the operating system with with WinXp disk
    > 3. make sure the jumper on the motherboard is set sorrectly (like you
    > suggested before)
    >
    > Are they whiat ur refering to as the 3 options?
    >
    > ALSO, my motherboard jumper setting for CPU FSB is set to,
    > FSB400/333/266 (default), the other setting for it is FSB200.
    >
    > My CPU is the Athlon Xp 1800+ (1.53ghz) which has a FSB of 266mhz (i
    > believe) so the jumper should be fine.
    >
    > ALSO Dave, why do I change my FSB in the BIOS to 133mhz, and what is
    > it that runs at 133mhz?

    DDR (double data rate) sends data at twice the clock speed so 133 MHz
    refers to the clock for a 266 MHz data bus. They're the same thing.

    > Thanx Ed Medlin, I do actually have data on the drive so i'll try the
    > repair option.

    A repair install will restore the system back to the service pack level of
    the CD and any subsequent service packs (including Internet Explorer
    updates) will need to be reinstalled after the repair. And if, for example,
    your CD is an original issue XP, and you had later installed SP1, or SP2,
    on the system, then after the XP repair you'll see a raft of windows
    installer messages claiming things need to be reinstalled (such as MS
    Office). That's because anything that linked into the later service packs
    will not find the service pack files so it thinks the application's install
    is barfed (windows is trying to 'repair' the application). Ignored them.
    Just cancel the (multiple) application repair installs and put SP2 back on.
    All the problems will automagically disappear after the SP installation
    because the previously missing files will be back.

    This, btw, is why it's a good idea to download the 'full IT' version (not
    though auto update) of the service packs and IE version updates so you have
    them locally for doing reinstalls. That way if you have something
    preventing internet access, such as a confused third party firewall because
    it's missing service pack files, you can do a reinstall without internet
    access.

Homebuilt Asus Computer Motherboards Systems