how to replace shell32.dll

I have a corrupt shell32.dll. I downloaded a replacement but I
can't rename it or replace it because windows is always using it.

I tried safe mode but it is the same.

Any help??

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about replace shell32

    You will need to work from DOS after booting from a floppy. I'm not clear
    as to why you had to download a replacement of unknown origin rather than
    doing what others do and that is to extract a new copy from the Win Me cab
    set. I'd also be interested in knowing how you have determined
    shell32.dll to be corrupt.

    Shell32.dll is contained in WIN_14.CAB of the Win Me cab set and can be
    replaced by booting to DOS using a Win Me boot floppy and using the
    Extract command. Alternatively extract to an alternative location when
    Win Me is running, rename shell32.new and then move to the windows\system
    folder. Now when you boot to DOS all that is required is to rename the
    old shell32.dll to shell32.old and the new copy to shell32.dll.

    The "cab" files are in the Win9x folder on the Win Me CD and normally also
    in either Windows\Options\Cabs or Windows\Options\Install. See MS KB
    265371 - "How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows Me"
    (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=265371) for details of how to extract
    files from the cab set.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    J Mac <jmaca@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > I have a corrupt shell32.dll. I downloaded a replacement but I
    > can't rename it or replace it because windows is always using it.
    >
    > I tried safe mode but it is the same.
    >
    > Any help??
    >
    > Thanks

    Mike:
    Since this shell folder has to do with icons, is it possible to employ
    Windows TweakUI and "Rebuild Icons" or choose "Repair System Files"?
    Just a thought and your comment appreciated.

    Harry.

    > You will need to work from DOS after booting from a floppy. I'm not clear
    > as to why you had to download a replacement of unknown origin rather than
    > doing what others do and that is to extract a new copy from the Win Me cab
    > set. I'd also be interested in knowing how you have determined
    > shell32.dll to be corrupt.
    >
    > Shell32.dll is contained in WIN_14.CAB of the Win Me cab set and can be
    > replaced by booting to DOS using a Win Me boot floppy and using the
    > Extract command. Alternatively extract to an alternative location when
    > Win Me is running, rename shell32.new and then move to the windows\system
    > folder. Now when you boot to DOS all that is required is to rename the
    > old shell32.dll to shell32.old and the new copy to shell32.dll.
    >
    > The "cab" files are in the Win9x folder on the Win Me CD and normally also
    > in either Windows\Options\Cabs or Windows\Options\Install. See MS KB
    > 265371 - "How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows Me"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=265371) for details of how to extract
    > files from the cab set.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > J Mac <jmaca@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a corrupt shell32.dll. I downloaded a replacement but I
    > > can't rename it or replace it because windows is always using it.
    > >
    > > I tried safe mode but it is the same.
    > >
    > > Any help??
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Harry,

    Personally I don't recall any occasion where I have had to replace s
    system file such as shell32.dll perhaps because I try not to let malware
    near my PC. I prefer to keep my battles with the bad guys at the edge
    rather than let them on to my home ground. The Rebuild Icons you mention
    relates to flushing the file shelliconcache in the Windows folder and this
    can be done manually without having to use TweakUI. Interesting your
    comment about TweakUI's "Repair System Files" - I'd forgotten all about
    that including what it actually does! <vbg>
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

    > Mike:
    > Since this shell folder has to do with icons, is it possible to employ
    > Windows TweakUI and "Rebuild Icons" or choose "Repair System Files"?
    > Just a thought and your comment appreciated.

    Interesting reply, Mike.
    Thank you very much.

    Harry.

    > Harry,
    >
    > Personally I don't recall any occasion where I have had to replace s
    > system file such as shell32.dll perhaps because I try not to let malware
    > near my PC. I prefer to keep my battles with the bad guys at the edge
    > rather than let them on to my home ground. The Rebuild Icons you mention
    > relates to flushing the file shelliconcache in the Windows folder and this
    > can be done manually without having to use TweakUI. Interesting your
    > comment about TweakUI's "Repair System Files" - I'd forgotten all about
    > that including what it actually does! <vbg>
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Mike:
    > > Since this shell folder has to do with icons, is it possible to employ
    > > Windows TweakUI and "Rebuild Icons" or choose "Repair System Files"?
    > > Just a thought and your comment appreciated.

  5. the easy way to do that is to cut shell32.dll from windows - system 32 - and past it in desktop and put (copy)the other one to system 32 and restart your computer. and the effects will take on and now you can delete shell32 from your desktop. ................aymanmahran76@yahoo.com
  6. - Very old thread
    - Suppressing shell32.dll from within a running Win Me, I strongly doubt...

Microsoft DLL Windows