Can't open folders, run applications, internet...close to ..

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 6, 2005 3:37:21 AM

I identified a minor trojan (trojan.startpage), and quarantened it. I also
purged the systemrestore folder because the trojan was there as well. But
I'm at the end of my rope with this machine; I'd love to get files off it and
reformat, but I cannot access a network. Basically, it boots up, but it
effectively freezes after bootup. The mouse will move, but most programs
won't open, inlcuding folders and My Computer. (AIM will log on, but none of
its features operate). Basically, anything that requires my intitiation will
not work. I often have to Ctrl + alt + del to stop a non-responding program.
Eventually there is nothing left running and it still won't operate. There
seems to be something currupt in windows explorer. It will open in safemode,
and operates fine, but of course operation is limited. There are very few
startup programs (really only AIM and the defaults), and I've done Ad-Aware
scans and Norton AV scans to no avail. What next?
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 12:20:00 PM

Boot to Safe Mode and run HiJackThis - post the resulting log to an
appropriate forum (NOT here)

I suggest that you read and follow the instructions here first....
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075&sid=d06b772...

then post to the forum.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Dhaynes" <Dhaynes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I identified a minor trojan (trojan.startpage), and quarantened it. I also
> purged the systemrestore folder because the trojan was there as well. But
> I'm at the end of my rope with this machine; I'd love to get files off it
> and
> reformat, but I cannot access a network. Basically, it boots up, but it
> effectively freezes after bootup. The mouse will move, but most programs
> won't open, inlcuding folders and My Computer. (AIM will log on, but none
> of
> its features operate). Basically, anything that requires my intitiation
> will
> not work. I often have to Ctrl + alt + del to stop a non-responding
> program.
> Eventually there is nothing left running and it still won't operate. There
> seems to be something currupt in windows explorer. It will open in
> safemode,
> and operates fine, but of course operation is limited. There are very few
> startup programs (really only AIM and the defaults), and I've done
> Ad-Aware
> scans and Norton AV scans to no avail. What next?
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:17:13 PM

You're either late for work or it's the dentist again <g>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> Boot to Safe Mode and run HiJackThis - post the resulting log to an
> appropriate forum (NOT here)
>
> I suggest that you read and follow the instructions here first....
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075&sid=d06b772...
>
> then post to the forum.

September 6, 2005 5:11:55 PM

Nah - a few days off - I have 7 more to use before Oct 21st!

--

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> You're either late for work or it's the dentist again <g>
> Joan
>

> Noel Paton wrote:
>> Boot to Safe Mode and run HiJackThis - post the resulting log to an
>> appropriate forum (NOT here)
>>
>> I suggest that you read and follow the instructions here first....
>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075&sid=d06b772...
>>
>> then post to the forum.

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 5:58:44 PM

Take an hour each day and stretch it to a day. Just like when you are at
work.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Nah - a few days off - I have 7 more to use before Oct 21st!
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 8:07:36 PM

<lol> Enjoy.
Joan