LCD backlight

I purchased a low-end 17" LCD about two year's ago, made by MAG. When I
first got it, it was very bright, and I had to have the Brightness
setting at 70%... but over the years it has become noticably darker.
Now with 100% brightness and 100% contrast, it's not too bright. It's
not dark, but I would love it to be maybe 30%-40% brighter.

Are the backlights in LCDs user-replaceable/upgradeable? What's a
website to go to, to purchase nice bright backlights?

I sort of knew that backlights would dim with time, and that being as I
went with a not so well-known company, the quality would suffer, but is
this normal for LCD's? Like being very bright and almost over-powering
for the first half-year, then slowing dimming by perhaps 15% a year...
Or did I get a lemon?

Thanks,
--Farrell F.

upgrdman@mindspring.com wrote:
> I purchased a low-end 17" LCD about two year's ago, made by MAG. When I
> first got it, it was very bright, and I had to have the Brightness
> setting at 70%... but over the years it has become noticably darker.
> Now with 100% brightness and 100% contrast, it's not too bright. It's
> not dark, but I would love it to be maybe 30%-40% brighter.
>
> Are the backlights in LCDs user-replaceable/upgradeable? What's a
> website to go to, to purchase nice bright backlights?
>
> I sort of knew that backlights would dim with time, and that being as I
> went with a not so well-known company, the quality would suffer, but is
> this normal for LCD's? Like being very bright and almost over-powering
> for the first half-year, then slowing dimming by perhaps 15% a year...
> Or did I get a lemon?
>
> Thanks,
> --Farrell F.

The backlights are only rated to last for 3 years (I think that's
continuous use). Unfortunately, when they go, it's time to buy a new
monitor.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

In article <4262417c$1@quokka.wn.com.au>, spodosaurus says...

> The backlights are only rated to last for 3 years (I think that's
> continuous use). Unfortunately, when they go, it's time to buy a new
> monitor.

No it isn't. Most can be replaced.

THis page shows you how to change Fuji ones complete with part numbers.

http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/MICRO/fma/pdf/2002_09_15
_FLCL16S_backlight_assembly.pdf

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

TRENDING THREADS