Operating System Problems

Can anyone help me?

I have Windows ME already installed as my operating system. Last year, I
tried installing Windows XP on my computer but I wasn't successful. I have
two harddisk in my computer (80 GB Master and 8 GB Slave) and 256 MB RAM.
My computer has an Intel Celeron Processor. So basically what's happening
is I have "two" operating system on my computer and I have to select one of
them at startup. However, my real selection is only hte Windows ME as if I
select the Windows XP, it basically freezes my computer. So I would like to
do is any of the following (whichever may be easier): just run one operating
system; either Windows ME or Windows XP only, whichever is easier. And can
anyone here help me with a detailed instruction to do this. Thanks in
advance.

Thanks,
VT

Get a WindowsMe boot diskette:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/usingwindows/maintaining/articles/004Apr/Startup.asp

Do NOT substitute anything but a 100% genuine WinMe disk.

Start the computer with it, when you reach the A:\> prompt type:

SYS C:

Then remove the disk and restart the computer.

"valjuza" <valjuza@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help me?
>
> I have Windows ME already installed as my operating system. Last year, I
> tried installing Windows XP on my computer but I wasn't successful. I
> have
> two harddisk in my computer (80 GB Master and 8 GB Slave) and 256 MB RAM.
> My computer has an Intel Celeron Processor. So basically what's happening
> is I have "two" operating system on my computer and I have to select one
> of
> them at startup. However, my real selection is only hte Windows ME as if
> select the Windows XP, it basically freezes my computer. So I would like
> do is any of the following (whichever may be easier): just run one
> operating
> system; either Windows ME or Windows XP only, whichever is easier. And
> can
> anyone here help me with a detailed instruction to do this. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Thanks,
> VT

Before doing the "sys c", you could try running the Repair Console from the
XP CD. It will find the dual boot, and the location of the XP files.
My feeling is that the problem may arise from the smaller hard drive. Hard
to say from this chair though.
If not just "sys c" as Richard indicated for Windows ME only use.

"valjuza" <valjuza@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help me?
>
> I have Windows ME already installed as my operating system. Last year, I
> tried installing Windows XP on my computer but I wasn't successful. I
have
> two harddisk in my computer (80 GB Master and 8 GB Slave) and 256 MB RAM.
> My computer has an Intel Celeron Processor. So basically what's happening
> is I have "two" operating system on my computer and I have to select one
of
> them at startup. However, my real selection is only hte Windows ME as if
> select the Windows XP, it basically freezes my computer. So I would like
> do is any of the following (whichever may be easier): just run one
operating
> system; either Windows ME or Windows XP only, whichever is easier. And
can
> anyone here help me with a detailed instruction to do this. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Thanks,
> VT

TRENDING THREADS