System not closing down properly

radar

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001

When shutting down system, I get the blue screen and Windows Protection Error
"OE: 0028 : C002F66F".

What is this telling me and what is the resolution?

Thanks,

When did this problem start? What changes were made to the system,
hardware, drivers or software prior to this problem starting? Have you
tried using system restore to roll your system back to the state it was in
before this problem by restoring to a checkpoint created before these
problems began? The error you are seeing suggests a problem with a
driver - did you change ort update either your video or audio drivers just
prior to this problem commencing?

Tracking down shutdown and power-off problems (they differ) can be
somewhat difficult but may I suggest that you start by having a look at MS
KB 273746 - "How to Troubleshoot Windows Me Shutdown Problems"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=273746) and then move on to Jim
Eshelman's pages at http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm and
http://aumha.org/win4/a/shtdwnme.htm which cover this topic. Hopefully
you will find advice there that will help your resolve your problem.

The Windows Me Startup and Shutdown Troubleshooting Wizard is located in
the Help and Support Centre in Windows Me or at the following Microsoft
Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot/
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Radar <Radar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> When shutting down system, I get the blue screen and Windows
> Protection Error "OE: 0028 : C002F66F".
>
> What is this telling me and what is the resolution?
>
> Thanks,

Alias

"Radar" <Radar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When shutting down system, I get the blue screen and Windows Protection
> Error
> "OE: 0028 : C002F66F".
>
> What is this telling me and what is the resolution?
>
> Thanks,

It's telling you to upgrade to Windows XP.

Heh.

Alias

Alias <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:

> It's telling you to upgrade to Windows XP.
>
> Heh.

LOL - And you think XP doesn't have driver problems? <vbg>
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

radar

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001

Mike,

Thanks for the info. The problem occurred when I renewed my Nortin
Antivirus. Whatever they were downloading to me didn't seem to work properly.

Someone recommended that I re-install ME which I have now done. It hasn't
made any difference other than give me another message "Vsmon has caused an
error in KERNEL32.DLL Vsmon will now close".

Looking at various sites this morning there seems to be a suggestion that
this is caused by Zone-Alarm but I have had the free edition of that for a
couple of years without problem. Other concern is that machine disconnects
from the internet within a few minutes (and won't reconnect without
rebooting) so I can't download diagnostic software to help resolve the probs.
(I'm sending this from work.)

Anyway, if I get time this weekend I'll work my way through the
troubleshooter that you suggested.

Many thanks.

"Mike M" wrote:

> When did this problem start? What changes were made to the system,
> hardware, drivers or software prior to this problem starting? Have you
> tried using system restore to roll your system back to the state it was in
> before this problem by restoring to a checkpoint created before these
> problems began? The error you are seeing suggests a problem with a
> driver - did you change ort update either your video or audio drivers just
> prior to this problem commencing?
>
> Tracking down shutdown and power-off problems (they differ) can be
> somewhat difficult but may I suggest that you start by having a look at MS
> KB 273746 - "How to Troubleshoot Windows Me Shutdown Problems"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=273746) and then move on to Jim
> Eshelman's pages at http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm and
> http://aumha.org/win4/a/shtdwnme.htm which cover this topic. Hopefully
> you will find advice there that will help your resolve your problem.
>
> The Windows Me Startup and Shutdown Troubleshooting Wizard is located in
> the Help and Support Centre in Windows Me or at the following Microsoft
> Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot/
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Radar <Radar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > When shutting down system, I get the blue screen and Windows
> > Protection Error "OE: 0028 : C002F66F".
> >
> > What is this telling me and what is the resolution?
> >
> > Thanks,

Oh dear. One problem, Norton, has I think perhaps now been compounded by
reinstalling Win Me over itself. How did you do this? If previously
installed did you uninstall IE6 / IE6 SP1. If you have not already done
so may I strongly urge you to download and run Belarc's Advisor
(http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) as this can check whether any
patches you have already installed need reinstalling perhaps due to your
having reinstalled Win Me over itself. You can download any patches that
have been broken by the reinstall and need reinstalling from the Windows
Update Catalogue
(http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp). The
Windows Update site won't offer you the patch again if you have already
installed it and then subsequently reinstalled Win Me over itself.

Your vsmon error. Yes, this is due to a problem with Zone Alarm. Since
you have re-installed Win Me I would uninstall and then reinstall Zone
Alarm.