Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus P8P67 Deluxe LGA 1155 & IDE Controller Card

Last response: in Windows 7
March 6, 2011 4:16:06 PM

Hi, I have a terrible problem, I am hoping one of you experts can maybe help me with. I am asked to build a new computer with an Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard and a Sandy Bridge 2600K processor, the only problem is that the customer wants an IDE controller card for his Optical drives, he is a BenQ nut, and there is no IDE on this ASUS board, in the past I have used the SIIG SCPE4B12S4 PCI IDE Controller Card
It has worked great in the socket 775 with Windows 7 64 bit. Will it work in a PCI slot with this Mobo and CPU? If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2011 6:43:56 PM

No reason why it wouldn't work if you have Windows 7 drivers - PCI is PCI regardless of the motherboard it's on.

But seriously, this guy is willing to spend more money on a PCI card just because he wants his optical drives on IDE? Hell, that PCI card probably costs more than a SATA drive!

If he's worried about running out of SATA ports for hard drives, he'll be a lot better off getting a PCI-E SATA card to expand the number of SATA ports, rather than clogging up a shiny Sandy Bridge system with obsolete tech.
March 7, 2011 9:29:33 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this advice, the guy is a BenQ fanatic and he is spending alot of cash on this build so who am I to question it, I just have to make it work.
Related resources
March 8, 2011 12:16:20 AM

Spending alot of cash just to have it held back by slow IDE drives? People have more money than brains.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2011 12:50:06 AM

I agree. Your job is to make it work, and messing about with legacy hardware like that goes against "making it work".

Still, his system so he has every right to be a douche. The card you list will be fine.
March 8, 2011 3:55:15 PM

LePhuronn said:
I agree. Your job is to make it work, and messing about with legacy hardware like that goes against "making it work".

Still, his system so he has every right to be a douche. The card you list will be fine.

Thanks I ordered the board, my only option as I have noone who has a build 2600K with socket 1155 to test this for me.
March 13, 2011 8:19:51 PM

Best answer selected by tomsresults.
!