a variety off apps suddenly die when trying to open data f..

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 8, 2005 6:49:32 PM

Just reinstalled WinME.

Many applications die suddenly as soon as I try to open a file from
within them.

So far I notice this using all of the following:
- Opera
- WinAmp
- Zinf
- WMP
- Sound Recorder and a few others.

MS Office apps open files OK.

Never seen anything so quasi-transversal across various apps.

Notice that there is an antivirus installed (clamwin), but it does not
have a general "desktop"protection, i.e. files are no all automatically
inspected when being opened. It would have been a nice failure point,
but it isn't!

Where do I look for something rotting in my system?

TIA

Filippo
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 12:47:53 PM