a variety off apps suddenly die when trying to open data f..

Just reinstalled WinME.

Many applications die suddenly as soon as I try to open a file from
within them.

So far I notice this using all of the following:
- Opera
- WinAmp
- Zinf
- WMP
- Sound Recorder and a few others.

MS Office apps open files OK.

Never seen anything so quasi-transversal across various apps.

Notice that there is an antivirus installed (clamwin), but it does not
have a general "desktop"protection, i.e. files are no all automatically
inspected when being opened. It would have been a nice failure point,
but it isn't!

Where do I look for something rotting in my system?

TIA

Filippo
1 answer Last reply
More about variety apps suddenly open data

    Clean install - or over-the-top?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "SpamHog" <n1jpr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just reinstalled WinME.
    >
    > Many applications die suddenly as soon as I try to open a file from
    > within them.
    >
    > So far I notice this using all of the following:
    > - Opera
    > - WinAmp
    > - Zinf
    > - WMP
    > - Sound Recorder and a few others.
    >
    > MS Office apps open files OK.
    >
    > Never seen anything so quasi-transversal across various apps.
    >
    > Notice that there is an antivirus installed (clamwin), but it does not
    > have a general "desktop"protection, i.e. files are no all automatically
    > inspected when being opened. It would have been a nice failure point,
    > but it isn't!
    >
    > Where do I look for something rotting in my system?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Filippo

Apps Microsoft Windows