Hard drive bad sectors, help?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 18, 2005 4:42:18 PM

Hi,

I have had my Seagate 160GB drive (as recommend on here I believe) for only
a few weeks now and it's reporting bad sectors (in Event Viewer and using
the tools on the cd that came with it).

However, the bad sectors are not always in the same place, as sometimes I
can't copy certain files due to bad sectors and the copy fails, but other
times the copying is fine.

Is this normal behaviour for bad sectors? I would have thought that if
there was a bad sector, then I would never be able to copy the file.

It's also always only one partition (out of three). I'm thinking of just
formatting this partition and copying everything back on again.

Or should I just send it back?

Thanks,

Grendel.

More about : hard drive bad sectors

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2005 12:59:29 AM

"Grendel" <me@me.com> wrote:

> I have had my Seagate 160GB drive (as recommend on here I
> believe) for only a few weeks now and it's reporting bad sectors
> (in Event Viewer and using the tools on the cd that came with
> it).

Bad sectors are usually very bad. Hopefully you have a copy of any
important data on another disk or on removable media.

> However, the bad sectors are not always in the same place,

If you are really talking about bad sectors, that sounds very very
bad.

If you want more critical opinions, the best group for hard disk
drives is probably this one.

comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Good luck.

> as
> sometimes I can't copy certain files due to bad sectors and the
> copy fails, but other times the copying is fine.
>
> Is this normal behaviour for bad sectors? I would have thought
> that if there was a bad sector, then I would never be able to
> copy the file.
>
> It's also always only one partition (out of three). I'm
> thinking of just formatting this partition and copying
> everything back on again.
>
> Or should I just send it back?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Grendel.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2005 1:50:29 AM

Grendel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have had my Seagate 160GB drive (as recommend on here I believe) for only
> a few weeks now and it's reporting bad sectors (in Event Viewer and using
> the tools on the cd that came with it).
>
> However, the bad sectors are not always in the same place, as sometimes I
> can't copy certain files due to bad sectors and the copy fails, but other
> times the copying is fine.
>
> Is this normal behaviour for bad sectors? I would have thought that if
> there was a bad sector, then I would never be able to copy the file.
>
> It's also always only one partition (out of three). I'm thinking of just
> formatting this partition and copying everything back on again.
>
> Or should I just send it back?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Grendel.

Download the seagate seatools program for putting on either a floppy or
burning to a cdrom. Make the disc. Put it in the drive. Restart your
computer and see what the full diagnostic testing reports. If you have
bad sectors, you need to return the drive for a replacement.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
a b B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2005 1:50:30 AM

>Download the seagate seatools program for putting on either a floppy or
>burning to a cdrom. Make the disc. Put it in the drive. Restart your
>computer and see what the full diagnostic testing reports. If you have bad
>sectors, you need to return the drive for a replacement.

From my perspective you couldn't get any better advice.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> Grendel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have had my Seagate 160GB drive (as recommend on here I believe) for
>> only a few weeks now and it's reporting bad sectors (in Event Viewer and
>> using the tools on the cd that came with it).
>>
>> However, the bad sectors are not always in the same place, as sometimes I
>> can't copy certain files due to bad sectors and the copy fails, but other
>> times the copying is fine.
>>
>> Is this normal behaviour for bad sectors? I would have thought that if
>> there was a bad sector, then I would never be able to copy the file.
>>
>> It's also always only one partition (out of three). I'm thinking of just
>> formatting this partition and copying everything back on again.
>>
>> Or should I just send it back?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Grendel.
>>

> Download the seagate seatools program for putting on either a floppy or
> burning to a cdrom. Make the disc. Put it in the drive. Restart your
> computer and see what the full diagnostic testing reports. If you have bad
> sectors, you need to return the drive for a replacement.
>
> --
> spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
>
> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
> hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
> marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
> transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
> http://www.abmdr.org.au/
> http://www.marrow.org/
April 19, 2005 1:30:04 PM

"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in message
> "Grendel" <me@me.com> wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. I couldn't create a bootable floppy cos I
haven't used the floppy drive for so long that it's sat on the loft
somewhere.

I did however boot from the cd, which reported *lots* of bad sectors.

I have requested an RMA, so it looks like it'll have to go back (after I try
to copy off what I need and wipe it clean).

Thanks,

Grendel.
!