New ZAPro

New version of ZAPro out. Highly suggest a 'clean install' after saving
your settings for restoration in the new version. All seems well with mine.
Heirloom, old and jumped on the newbie

"Heirloom" wrote:
> New version of ZAPro out. Highly suggest a 'clean install' after saving your
> settings for restoration in the new version. All seems well with mine.

Oh no :)

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Got mine and Johns the other day Heirloom.
How are you we aren't seeing you quite as much in here at the moment, busy
biking or still playing with that new box of yours ? <g>
Joan

Heirloom wrote:
> New version of ZAPro out. Highly suggest a 'clean install' after
> saving your settings for restoration in the new version. All seems
> well with mine. Heirloom, old and
> jumped on the newbie

Still the pessimist, I see, Silj <g>. I know you have no faith in the
'new' versions of ZA and justifiably so, based on past performance. I was
just letting everyone know that I bit the bullet and it worked.....try it,
you'll like it.....lots of nice new features.

Heirloom, old and bed sure
sounds good

"Heirloom" wrote:
> Still the pessimist, I see, Silj <g>. I know you have no faith in the 'new'
> versions of ZA and justifiably so, based on past performance. I was just letting
> everyone know that I bit the bullet and it worked.....try it, you'll like
> it.....lots of nice new features.

Not necessarily the pessimist, Loom, just careful, happy running Kerio
as I always have. I'll pass for now, but thanks for the heads-up.

Regards,
Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

My take on it. New install because it IS a new version, not an update from
the 5.5 versions. One oddity if a dirty install over a previous 5.5
version, Omnipage is listed as a keylogger/mouse tracker alarm message per
ZA Pro. Clean install had no such alarm message.

Originally, when the first 6.xx version came out, system requirements only
listed 2K/XP. They finally changed it by adding 98SE/ME.

As with prior versions, if you have other users of the PC, you need to use a
password for protection of ZA Pro's settings. And tell it to remember safe
settings for program access to the internet.

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> New version of ZAPro out. Highly suggest a 'clean install' after saving
> your settings for restoration in the new version. All seems well with
mine.
> Heirloom, old and jumped on the newbie

Joe

What do you mean by "clean install"--are you referring to the options in the
setup wizard?

In any event I'm not having any luck, with either option set. The setup
process gets as far as asking if I'm updating Zone Alarm, then stops with
the task manager showing "Glbe2b2 not responding". (The last four
characters of "Glbxxxx" change with each attempt.) On the first attempt the
computer restarted, warning of a bad shutdown and running scandisk;
subsequent attempts just stopped.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Joe

> Still the pessimist, I see, Silj <g>. I know you have no faith in the
> 'new' versions of ZA and justifiably so, based on past performance. I was
> just letting everyone know that I bit the bullet and it worked.....try it,
> you'll like it.....lots of nice new features.
>
> Heirloom, old and bed sure
> sounds good
>

> "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > "Heirloom" wrote:
> >> New version of ZAPro out. Highly suggest a 'clean install' after
saving
> >> your settings for restoration in the new version. All seems well with
> >> mine.
> >
> > Oh no :)
> >
> > Silj
> >
> > --
> > siljaline
> >
> > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
> > Security Tools Updates
> > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
> >
> > (Reply to group, as return address
> > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Yep, the options in the setup wizard......it even has the clean install
marked by default and recommends it. Haven't got a clue what the Glbe2b2
might be........Google didn't show anything. Maybe try your install from
the safe mode.......in any case, before you do the install, save your
settings from the existing version (if you have a lot of customized
settings, otherwise, don't bother and just set it up afresh). I think the
safe mode would allow an uninterrupted install....worth a try.
Heirloom, old and don't need
no Glb's

"Joe" <joe@ratherbeflying.invalid> wrote in message
> What do you mean by "clean install"--are you referring to the options in
> the
> setup wizard?
>
> In any event I'm not having any luck, with either option set. The setup
> process gets as far as asking if I'm updating Zone Alarm, then stops with
> the task manager showing "Glbe2b2 not responding". (The last four
> characters of "Glbxxxx" change with each attempt.) On the first attempt
> the
> computer restarted, warning of a bad shutdown and running scandisk;
> subsequent attempts just stopped.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> Joe
>

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>> Still the pessimist, I see, Silj <g>. I know you have no faith in the
>> 'new' versions of ZA and justifiably so, based on past performance. I
>> was
>> just letting everyone know that I bit the bullet and it worked.....try
>> it,
>> you'll like it.....lots of nice new features.
>>
>> Heirloom, old and bed
>> sure
>> sounds good
>>

>> "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
> saving
>> >
>> > Oh no :)
>> >
>> > Silj
>> >
>> > --
>> > siljaline
>> >
>> > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
>> > _________________________________________
>> > Security Tools Updates
>> > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
>> >
>> > (Reply to group, as return address
>> > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Clean install means to install without relying on any prior version
installation to overwrite, including the registry. Any prior version needs
to be uninstalled first. Reboot to have a revised registry in memory.

"Joe" <joe@ratherbeflying.invalid> wrote in message
> What do you mean by "clean install"--are you referring to the options in
the
> setup wizard?
>
> In any event I'm not having any luck, with either option set. The setup
> process gets as far as asking if I'm updating Zone Alarm, then stops with
> the task manager showing "Glbe2b2 not responding". (The last four
> characters of "Glbxxxx" change with each attempt.) On the first attempt
the
> computer restarted, warning of a bad shutdown and running scandisk;
> subsequent attempts just stopped.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> Joe
>

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> > Still the pessimist, I see, Silj <g>. I know you have no faith in the
> > 'new' versions of ZA and justifiably so, based on past performance. I
was
> > just letting everyone know that I bit the bullet and it worked.....try
it,
> > you'll like it.....lots of nice new features.
> >
> > Heirloom, old and bed
sure
> > sounds good
> >

> > "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
> saving
> > >
> > > Oh no :)
> > >
> > > Silj
> > >
> > > --
> > > siljaline
> > >
> > > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
> > > Security Tools Updates
> > > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
> > >
> > > (Reply to group, as return address
> > > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Joe

Well, that's what it usually means, which is what prompted the question.
But Heirloom was referring to the options in the setup wizard. Either way,
wouldn't uninstalling the prior version prevent me from installing the
upgrade, which assumes the application was purchased and installed somewhere
along the way?

Joe

> Clean install means to install without relying on any prior version
> installation to overwrite, including the registry. Any prior version
needs
> to be uninstalled first. Reboot to have a revised registry in memory.
>
> "Joe" <joe@ratherbeflying.invalid> wrote in message
> > What do you mean by "clean install"--are you referring to the options in
> the
> > setup wizard?
> >
> > In any event I'm not having any luck, with either option set. The setup
> > process gets as far as asking if I'm updating Zone Alarm, then stops
with
> > the task manager showing "Glbe2b2 not responding". (The last four
> > characters of "Glbxxxx" change with each attempt.) On the first attempt
> the
> > computer restarted, warning of a bad shutdown and running scandisk;
> > subsequent attempts just stopped.
> >
> > Any ideas? Thanks.
> >
> > Joe
> >

> > "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> > > Still the pessimist, I see, Silj <g>. I know you have no faith in
the
> > > 'new' versions of ZA and justifiably so, based on past performance. I
> was
> > > just letting everyone know that I bit the bullet and it worked.....try
> it,
> > > you'll like it.....lots of nice new features.
> > >
> > > Heirloom, old and bed
> sure
> > > sounds good
> > >

> > > "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > saving
> with

Yes, you would need your registration key for the newly installed version.
However, using the "Clean Install" option in the setup wizard, the key is
retained. If you look at the "Overview", "Product info" tab, the license
key is displayed.....you can copy and paste into a Notepad file and save it
to your desktop or just write it down for future use, if you prefer the
uninstall/install method.
Heirloom, old and that's the way mine
worked

> Well, that's what it usually means, which is what prompted the question.
> But Heirloom was referring to the options in the setup wizard. Either
> way,
> wouldn't uninstalling the prior version prevent me from installing the
> upgrade, which assumes the application was purchased and installed
> somewhere
> along the way?
>
> Joe
>

> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
>> Clean install means to install without relying on any prior version
>> installation to overwrite, including the registry. Any prior version
> needs
>> to be uninstalled first. Reboot to have a revised registry in memory.
>>
>> "Joe" <joe@ratherbeflying.invalid> wrote in message
>> > What do you mean by "clean install"--are you referring to the options
>> > in
>> the
>> > setup wizard?
>> >
>> > In any event I'm not having any luck, with either option set. The
>> > setup
>> > process gets as far as asking if I'm updating Zone Alarm, then stops
> with
>> > the task manager showing "Glbe2b2 not responding". (The last four
>> > characters of "Glbxxxx" change with each attempt.) On the first
>> > attempt
>> the
>> > computer restarted, warning of a bad shutdown and running scandisk;
>> > subsequent attempts just stopped.
>> >
>> > Any ideas? Thanks.
>> >
>> > Joe
>> >

>> > "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> the
>> was
>> it,

>> sure

>> > saving
>> with

Forgot the wording on setup for a question it asks. If you've NEVER
installed ZA Pro in the past with a registration key inputted, the answer to
that question is no. If you uninstalled a previous version with a current
registration key inputted, the answer is yes.
The installation will incorporate the previously input registration key into
the installation. No need to input it.

> Yes, you would need your registration key for the newly installed version.
> However, using the "Clean Install" option in the setup wizard, the key is
> retained. If you look at the "Overview", "Product info" tab, the
license
> key is displayed.....you can copy and paste into a Notepad file and save
it
> to your desktop or just write it down for future use, if you prefer the
> uninstall/install method.
> Heirloom, old and that's the way mine
> worked
>
> "Joe" <joe@ratherbeflying.invalid> wrote in message
> > Well, that's what it usually means, which is what prompted the question.
> > But Heirloom was referring to the options in the setup wizard. Either
> > way,
> > wouldn't uninstalling the prior version prevent me from installing the
> > upgrade, which assumes the application was purchased and installed
> > somewhere
> > along the way?
> >
> > Joe
> >

> > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
> >> Clean install means to install without relying on any prior version
> >> installation to overwrite, including the registry. Any prior version
> > needs
> >> to be uninstalled first. Reboot to have a revised registry in memory.
> >>
> >> "Joe" <joe@ratherbeflying.invalid> wrote in message
> >> the

> > with
> >> the

> > the
> >> was
> >> it,

bed
> >> sure

> >> with

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Hey Loon......just got a newsletter from Brian Livingstone and it goes into
great detail about the latest versions of Zone Alarm Pro.

quote....
I reported on Aug. 11 that the original July 21 "point-oh" release of the
Zone Labs family - technically speaking, version 6.0.631 - was being blamed
by users for conflicting with other applications, interfering with POP3
e-mail downloads, and worse. I quoted Zone Labs as saying that the troubles
were caused by installing version 6.0 over an older version. This, of
course, should have been fine and the company hadn't previously advised
users that a clean install was necessary.

The new 6.0.667 build of ZoneAlarm products, released on Sept. 6, is being
credited by experienced users with fixing most or all of the reported
difficulties.

"As far as I can see, they have fixed all bugs that I have reported on the
beta, including a nasty BSOD [Blue Screen of Death] with a known antivirus,"
says a user named Fax, a frequent contributor to Zone Alarm's user forum.

"Do NOT install version 6.0.631.003," writes another correspondent named
GreyBird. "The version that fixed many of the problems you have read about
is version 6.0.667.000. Install the newer version instead."
unquote......

If you want the whole article, I will send it to you. But I think you guys
got it after Sept. 6th.....I hope. (G)

As for me.....Version 5.xxx will do just fine, thank you.

XX Figgs
"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> New version of ZAPro out. Highly suggest a 'clean install' after saving
> your settings for restoration in the new version. All seems well with
> mine.
> Heirloom, old and jumped on the newbie

I have the latest version on here and don't have any problems Heather so I
think you should be safe to put it on your box but then I know how you
would rather run one behind <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:

> As for me.....Version 5.xxx will do just fine, thank you.
>
> XX Figgs

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Yeppers, Joanie.....have version 5.xxx on here. Put it on yesterday. If it
is all that bad an idea (something I have never heard before, btw), I can
disable it.

And yes, I always run at least 2 versions behind. Hate being a beta tester
for Zone Alarm, grin.

XX Heather

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>I have the latest version on here and don't have any problems Heather so I
>think you should be safe to put it on your box but then I know how you
>would rather run one behind <g>
> Joan
>

> Heather wrote:
>>
>> As for me.....Version 5.xxx will do just fine, thank you.
>>
>> XX Figgs

version 6.0.667.000 is what I am running.
Heirloom, old and thanks for the info

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
> Hey Loon......just got a newsletter from Brian Livingstone and it goes
> into great detail about the latest versions of Zone Alarm Pro.
>
> quote....
> I reported on Aug. 11 that the original July 21 "point-oh" release of the
> Zone Labs family - technically speaking, version 6.0.631 - was being
> blamed by users for conflicting with other applications, interfering with
> POP3 e-mail downloads, and worse. I quoted Zone Labs as saying that the
> troubles were caused by installing version 6.0 over an older version.
> This, of course, should have been fine and the company hadn't previously
> advised users that a clean install was necessary.
>
> The new 6.0.667 build of ZoneAlarm products, released on Sept. 6, is being
> credited by experienced users with fixing most or all of the reported

Put the new version on, Figgs!!! Sheesh, it ain't a Beta.......Joanie and I
have tested it!!!
Heirloom, old and got the new one