PChealth not running in close program section

Hey all. I recently unchecked pchealth in msconfig startup. But I decided I
wanted it back, so I checked it and rebooted. Now, when I ALT TAB DELETE I
still do not see PChealth running in the background. Please help! Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about pchealth running close program section

    The first big question has to be why do you want to enable PCHealth? Do
    you actually know what this entry does? If not see the paragraphs below.
    Even if PCHealth is enabled in MSConfig | Startup what do you actually
    think you should be seeing when you click Ctrl - Alt Del? The correct
    answer is nothing. There is nothing to see, al that the PCHealth entry
    does is ensure that the PCHealth entry in the Task Manager is present when
    the system is booted.

    Given this information I'd like to know what help it is you require. What
    follows might help your understanding the purpose of the PCHealth entry.

    PCHealth Scheduler for Data Collection:
    The PCHealth entry in MSConfig | Startup and also in the Task Scheduler,
    refers to the PCHealth Scheduler for Data Collection routine (pchschd.exe)
    which launches winmgmt.exe to collect software and hardware configuration
    data that can be accessed using Help & Support's System Information's
    History view. In other words it allows you to see changes over a period of
    time to your system such as drivers. The details collected are contained
    in the files CollectedData???.xml files in the folder
    ...\windows\pchealth\helpctr\DataColl.

    Note that all that pchschd.exe is doing every ten minutes is checking if
    the system is idle or not. If idle it launches winmgmt.exe to collect the
    information and sets itself to run again in 6 hours, if not it continues
    to run at ten minute intervals until it finds the system is idle.

    As to whether you need this historic data or not, only you can decide. A
    number of us have long since decided to disable pchschd.exe having no use
    for the collected data. It should be noted that if you contact MS or an
    OEM for help that it is possible that they might request you send them
    these files. If you do choose to disable pchschd.exe it is ESSENTIAL to
    delete/disable it from both MSConfig | Startup and the Task Scheduler as
    otherwise the startup entry will recreate the Task Scheduler entry when
    the system is rebooted.

    One advantage of disabling the PCHealth Scheduler is that it minimizes the
    chances of winmgmt.exe causing problems. What happens is that quite often
    winmgmt.exe doesn't exit correctly when it has finished but instead
    remains resident and using cpu cycles.

    Note also that disabling these entries does NOT affect either System
    Restore or System File Protect, nor AutoUpdate or your ability to use Help
    & Support, all part of what Microsoft call "PCHealth".
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    pioneerfan <pioneerfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Hey all. I recently unchecked pchealth in msconfig startup. But I
    > decided I wanted it back, so I checked it and rebooted. Now, when I
    > ALT TAB DELETE I still do not see PChealth running in the background.
    > Please help! Thanks.

Microsoft Msconfig Windows