Athlon overheating .

I have a Gigabyte GA 7VT600 mainboard with an Athlon 2600 chip .

With clock ratio on Auto it was showing Host Frequency of 166 . But
the machine was cutting out a lot and the CPU temp measured 75 degrees .
The booklet suggests around 35 degrees to be OK -- ish .
So I turned off Auto and set the clock to 100 . Now the temp is down to
65 degrees . and the box runs ok .
Windows XP system reports CPU speed as 1.26 GHz ... not very impressive
for my 2600 chip ... uh ?

Any comments or suggestions very welcome .

In operation , the heatsink is cool to the touch .
I tried another heatsink ... much the same results .
I would have thought it's in pretty serious contact with the chip . But I
have come across heatsinks which are on much stronger 'springs ' .

Chris
7 answers Last reply
More about athlon overheating

    Chris James wrote:
    > I have a Gigabyte GA 7VT600 mainboard with an Athlon 2600 chip .
    >
    > With clock ratio on Auto it was showing Host Frequency of 166 . But
    > the machine was cutting out a lot and the CPU temp measured 75 degrees .
    > The booklet suggests around 35 degrees to be OK -- ish .
    > So I turned off Auto and set the clock to 100 . Now the temp is down to
    > 65 degrees .

    Don't panic!

    http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=maxtemp.shtml

    "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
    > Chris James wrote:
    >> I have a Gigabyte GA 7VT600 mainboard with an Athlon 2600 chip .
    >>
    >> With clock ratio on Auto it was showing Host Frequency of 166 .
    >> But the machine was cutting out a lot and the CPU temp measured 75
    >> degrees .
    >> The booklet suggests around 35 degrees to be OK -- ish .
    >> So I turned off Auto and set the clock to 100 . Now the temp is down
    >> to 65 degrees .
    >
    > Don't panic!
    >
    > http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=maxtemp.shtml

    Why are you telling him not to panic?
    The CPU is getting to 75c and the PC is cutting out, therefore it's
    overheating. Just because that guide says the max temp is 95c dosen't make
    it right. 95 is just the temperature that AMD say the CPU is toast.
    What it doesn't say there is that Athlons can start to get flakey above 70c.
    What with the inaccuracies of temperature reporting on most mobos, his temps
    may even be 85C! (they equally could of course be 65c).

    Also, the o/p does not say how hot it is in the room with the PC, this can
    play a big part.

    I would think the o/p needs to look at some better case cooling possibly and
    a new HSF, or at least refit the old one with some decent thermal grease and
    see what happens.

    SteveH

    "Chris James" <cj.james@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Gigabyte GA 7VT600 mainboard with an Athlon 2600 chip .
    >
    > With clock ratio on Auto it was showing Host Frequency of 166 . But
    > the machine was cutting out a lot and the CPU temp measured 75 degrees .
    > The booklet suggests around 35 degrees to be OK -- ish .
    > So I turned off Auto and set the clock to 100 . Now the temp is down to
    > 65 degrees . and the box runs ok .
    > Windows XP system reports CPU speed as 1.26 GHz ... not very
    > impressive for my 2600 chip ... uh ?
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions very welcome .
    >
    > In operation , the heatsink is cool to the touch .
    > I tried another heatsink ... much the same results .
    > I would have thought it's in pretty serious contact with the chip . But I
    > have come across heatsinks which are on much stronger 'springs ' .
    >

    > Chris
    Chris - My understanding is that most store bought PC's will run in the 40's
    to low 50's [Centigrade]. 75 C means something is unusual about your set
    up.

    As was mentioned, first question is what is your room temperature?
    [Although it's unlikely that your room temp alone would account for the 25 C
    or more that your CPU is above normal, you always need to start with room
    temp.] All heatsinks and fans do is to work on cooling relative to the room
    temp]

    Just to confirm, the fan on the heat sink is running with no apparent
    problem? ie., no noise, the fan blades are essentially a blur? You have
    at least 1 fan in the rear of the case that is pushing air out of the case?

    Confirm the heatsinks are installed with the right orientation. If they are
    installed 'backwards' you can easily see CPU temps of 75 C - or more. And,
    of course, you should be using thermal grease between the heatsink and CPU.

    If either of the heatsinks/fans came with the CPU, they should be keeping
    the temps below 50 C with light CPU load/useage. With 100% CPU useage,
    temps should be below the low 60's.

    If all this checks out and your CPU temp with the clock ratio set at Auto is
    still in the 70's, please let us know.

    Hi fj ,
    The room is cool .
    The fan is properly attached / greased .
    The heatsink is barely warm in operation .
    As an experiment , I removed the fan .
    CPU temp rose slowly thru just four degrees in the first minute .
    So I cut the power and refitted the fan .

    The board has two switch sets .
    One small , one big strip .
    1/ Auto / 100 MHz
    2/ Auto / manual configure for various multipliers

    With switch one set to 100MHz , and switches two set to Auto everything
    runs fine , but far too slow for an XP2600 .
    Chip temp bios -- 60 degrees .
    OS ( XPsr2) reports chip speed 1.26 GHz .

    Switch everything to Auto , on the board , and I'm just getting a plain
    black screen .
    I tried Auto with * 12.5 .
    I tried Auto with *16 .
    Both yeilded too high chip temps reported in the bios .
    Both crashed - reset in attempts to start-up XP .

    Chris

> [...]
    > > problem? ie., no noise, the fan blades are essentially a blur? You
    have
    > > at least 1 fan in the rear of the case that is pushing air out of the
    > > case?
    > >
    > > Confirm the heatsinks are installed with the right orientation. If they
    > > are installed 'backwards' you can easily see CPU temps of 75 C - or
    more.
    > > And, of course, you should be using thermal grease between the heatsink
    > > and CPU.
    > >
    > > If either of the heatsinks/fans came with the CPU, they should be
    keeping
    > > the temps below 50 C with light CPU load/useage. With 100% CPU useage,
    > > temps should be below the low 60's.
    > >
    > > If all this checks out and your CPU temp with the clock ratio set at
    Auto
    > > is still in the 70's, please let us know.

    Something is definitely wrong. You should probably re-apply the heatsink
    with new thermal paste.Clean the heatsink and CPU with nail polish
    remover(acetone) to make sure you get the old stuff off. Then use only a
    matchhead size drop of new paste and spread it uing a credit card or
    similar.
    Also,sometimes a heatsink can be installed backwards.Make sure it wasn't.
    And Make sure you have a decent heatsink/fan.

    "Chris James" <cj.james@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi fj ,
    > The room is cool .
    > The fan is properly attached / greased .
    > The heatsink is barely warm in operation .
    > As an experiment , I removed the fan .
    > CPU temp rose slowly thru just four degrees in the first minute .
    > So I cut the power and refitted the fan .
    >

    > The board has two switch sets .
    > One small , one big strip .
    > 1/ Auto / 100 MHz
    > 2/ Auto / manual configure for various multipliers

    You want both set to Auto. The motherboard will automatically detect the
    right FSB frequency. The multiplier is set by the CPU. Setting the
    multiplier to anything other than Auto will cause conflict.

    In BIOS, you've got CPU Host Clock Control disabled?

    > With switch one set to 100MHz , and switches two set to Auto
    > everything runs fine , but far too slow for an XP2600 .
    > Chip temp bios -- 60 degrees .
    > OS ( XPsr2) reports chip speed 1.26 GHz .
    >

    > Switch everything to Auto , on the board , and I'm just getting a plain
    > black screen .
    > I tried Auto with * 12.5 .
    > I tried Auto with *16 .
    > Both yeilded too high chip temps reported in the bios .
    > Both crashed - reset in attempts to start-up XP .
    >
    > Chris

    As dawg mentions, please confirm your heatsink is installed in the correct
    orientation. Installing it backwards can easily produce 75+ C.

    Here's a link to a video showing the correct heatsink orientation.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348%5E6678,00.html
    You can ignore the part about a thermal pad - providing you are using
    thermal grease. If there was a thermal pad originally, you should clean off
    whatever remains of the thermal pad. And apply a small amount of thermal
    grease - just like dawg says.
    Also, the clips on your heatsink may be different than the one in the video.
    I'm used to clips that have three openings that engage each of the three
    plastic lugs on the CPU socket.

    While it is correct that proper use of thermal grease is important, improper
    use probably wouldn't produce 75 C cpu temp. First, let's confirm the
    heatsink is in the right orientation. If that provides a big reduction in
    CPU temp, then go back and follow dawg's instructions.

> [...]

    > > problem? ie., no noise, the fan blades are essentially a blur? You
    have
    > > at least 1 fan in the rear of the case that is pushing air out of the
    > > case?
    > >
    > > Confirm the heatsinks are installed with the right orientation. If they
    > > are installed 'backwards' you can easily see CPU temps of 75 C - or
    more.
    > > And, of course, you should be using thermal grease between the heatsink
    > > and CPU.
    > >
    > > If either of the heatsinks/fans came with the CPU, they should be
    keeping
    > > the temps below 50 C with light CPU load/useage. With 100% CPU useage,
    > > temps should be below the low 60's.
    > >
    > > If all this checks out and your CPU temp with the clock ratio set at
    Auto
    > > is still in the 70's, please let us know.

    If heatsink does not feel hot (70deg hot) then it is NOT making contact
    with the core! It may be worth removing motherboard from case and refitting
    heatsink where you can look closely. You do know that heatsink has to be
    fitted the correct way round? My XP2200 runs at 47C on light load.
    Mike.

Homebuilt Chip Systems