Shell32.dll

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 10, 2005 4:29:02 PM

I get a message on start up that says "explorer has caused an error in
SHELL32.DLL" explorer will now close.
if I close this message box my taskbar dissapears too, there are no icons
showing on my desktop and right clicking does not work to bring up desktop
properties also system resource meter is at 100% all the time

I hope someone can help me

Thanks

Allan

More about : shell32 dll

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 12:32:08 AM

You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
viruses are not present on your PC
http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp

- update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
CoolWebSearch hijacker.

Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
(download it without the accompanying rubbish)

download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
your system.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"archiec" <archiec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get a message on start up that says "explorer has caused an error in
> SHELL32.DLL" explorer will now close.
> if I close this message box my taskbar dissapears too, there are no icons
> showing on my desktop and right clicking does not work to bring up desktop
> properties also system resource meter is at 100% all the time
>
> I hope someone can help me
>
> Thanks
>

> Allan

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 12:32:09 AM

From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>

| You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
|
| download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
| viruses are not present on your PC
| http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp
|
| - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
|
| Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
| CoolWebSearch hijacker.
| http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
|
| Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
| http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
| (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
|
| download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
| update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
| your system.
|
| --
| Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
|
| Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
| http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
|
| http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
|
| Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

That's funny.... He posted in MS Security/Virus and I thought it to be an OS error and not
malware related so I told him to post in an appropriate OS based News Group. And here it
was... ;-)

OK... I'll put my AV software advice in for good measure...

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 12:51:54 AM

any error involving explorer should first be treated as a potential
infection - if that proves negative, then it's worth looking deeper.....

Archie - FWIW, the loss of the icons in the System Tray is normal when
Explorer crashes in Win9x - but the loss of the desktop icons is not.
A reboot should bring both back, but if not, try the following....

Start| Run
type
SCRANREG /FIX
click OK, and reboot on request.