kill stubborn processes - HOW?

I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of applications
that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's process
is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
(ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running, FAIL to
kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I wish
to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
Thanks in advance!
18 answers Last reply
More about kill stubborn processes

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
    Try updating to the new version of PE.
    Heirloom, old and good app

    "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    >I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of applications
    > that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
    > happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
    > process
    > is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
    > PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
    > (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running, FAIL
    > kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
    > process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I wish
    > to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
    > Thanks in advance!

    What is/are the process(es)?
    And why the mystery in not stating so to begin with?

    "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    > I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of applications
    > that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
    > happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
    process
    > is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
    > PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
    > (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running, FAIL
    > kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
    > process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I wish
    > to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
    > Thanks in advance!

    I'm with Dave..........it would help to know what the processes are and the
    associated apps. Do these show up in "End Task" when you hit C-A-D??
    Also, it is much better to stop the process by ending the program as opposed
    to killing a facet of it (of course, you probably already know that). Post
    back with the offending processes and apps. Just off the cuff, it sounds
    as if you may have some software conflicts.
    Heirloom, old and got up too early

    > What is/are the process(es)?
    > And why the mystery in not stating so to begin with?
    >
    > "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    >> I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of applications
    >> that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
    >> happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
    > process
    >> is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
    >> PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
    >> (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running, FAIL
    >> kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
    >> process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I
    >> wish
    >> to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
    >> Thanks in advance!

    Does work. Same problem.

    "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote..
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
    > Try updating to the new version of PE.
    > Heirloom, old and good app
    >

    > "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote..
    > >I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of applications
    > > that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
    > > happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
    > > process
    > > is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
    > > PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
    > > (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running,
    FAIL
    > > kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
    > > process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I
    wish
    > > to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
    > > Thanks in advance!

    It doesn't happen often. It has only happend to approx 3 applications that
    I have been using over time. The current problem is with Miranda (instant
    messenger, www.miranda-im.org) For the most part the application runs
    well, and is quite reliable. But sometimes it will fail with a sudden -
    "blah blah blah has caused an exception error and will now close.." and just
    forces me to "OK" to close. However, I can't relaunch the program. The
    "miranda.exe" process would still be in memory according to PROCEXP.exe by
    Sysinternals. The Miranda process does NOT show up in the TaskList
    (ctr-alt-del) after it reports its failure and closing. However.. the
    Sysinternal's program shows that it's there. But Sysinternal's KILL does
    not succeed to kill it.

    "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
    > I'm with Dave..........it would help to know what the processes are and
    the
    > associated apps. Do these show up in "End Task" when you hit C-A-D??
    > Also, it is much better to stop the process by ending the program as
    opposed
    > to killing a facet of it (of course, you probably already know that).
    Post
    > back with the offending processes and apps. Just off the cuff, it sounds
    > as if you may have some software conflicts.

    No mystery intended. I was also looking for a process killer that might
    ALWAYS work no matter what process is in question.

    It doesn't happen often. It has only happend to approx 3 applications that
    I have been using over time. The current problem is with Miranda (instant
    messenger, www.miranda-im.org) For the most part the application runs
    well, and is quite reliable. But sometimes it will fail with a sudden -
    "blah blah blah has caused an exception error and will now close.." and just
    forces me to "OK" to close. However, I can't relaunch the program. The
    "miranda.exe" process would still be in memory according to PROCEXP.exe by
    Sysinternals. The Miranda process does NOT show up in the TaskList
    (ctr-alt-del).

    > What is/are the process(es)?
    > And why the mystery in not stating so to begin with?
    >
    > "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    > > I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of
    applications
    > > that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
    > > happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
    > process
    > > is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
    > > PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
    > > (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running,
    FAIL
    > > kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
    > > process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I
    wish
    > > to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
    > > Thanks in advance!

    John:

    I read all kinds of stories about "KillWind.exe".
    Do you really think it is a good idea to use this program?
    To my understanding it is a utility used by HP on one of their models to
    help sustain their warranty service.
    Why would anyone else want to use it?

    Harry.

    "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message
    > See if Killwind (attached) works. Heuristic virus scanning identifies it
    as
    > a virus but it isn't really.
    >
    > "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    > > I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of
    applications
    > > that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
    > > happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
    > process
    > > is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
    > > PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
    > > (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running,
    FAIL
    > > kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
    > > process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I
    wish
    > > to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
    > > Thanks in advance!

    John:

    I read all kinds of stories about "KillWind.exe".
    To my understanding HP uses this utility to sustain the warranty for one of
    their computer models.
    Should anyone else really use the program?
    It kills all running programs in Windows!
    Do you think that's a good idea?

    Harry.

    "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message
    > See if Killwind (attached) works. Heuristic virus scanning identifies it
    as
    > a virus but it isn't really.
    >
    > "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    > > I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of
    applications
    > > that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
    > > happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
    > process
    > > is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
    > > PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
    > > (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running,
    FAIL
    > > kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
    > > process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I
    wish
    > > to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
    > > Thanks in advance!

    To kill a stubborn process?

    From: "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co>

    | See if Killwind (attached) works. Heuristic virus scanning identifies it as
    | a virus but it isn't really.

    Well, it is not even close to being a virus. McAfee declares it as "ProcKill-T"
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99882.htm
    "This detection is an application type for a "potentially unwanted application". "

    It is not that it is malware. It has the potential to be used maliciously.
    It can be used safely if one knows what they are doing.

    The term virus was much too harsh to define this utility.

    AntiVir 6.31.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    Avast 4.6.695.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    AVG 718 09.10.2005 no virus found
    Avira 6.31.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    BitDefender 7.0 09.02.2005 no virus found
    CAT-QuickHeal 8.00 09.12.2005 no virus found
    ClamAV devel-20050725 09.11.2005 no virus found
    DrWeb 4.32b 09.11.2005 no virus found
    eTrust-Iris 7.1.194.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    eTrust-Vet 11.9.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    Fortinet 2.41.0.0 09.07.2005 no virus found
    F-Prot 3.16c 09.09.2005 no virus found
    Ikarus 0.2.59.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 09.12.2005 no virus found
    McAfee 4578 09.09.2005 potentially unwanted program ProcKill-T
    NOD32v2 1.1213 09.09.2005 no virus found
    Norman 5.70.10 09.09.2005 no virus found
    Panda 8.02.00 09.11.2005 Application/KillApp.C
    Sophos 3.97.0 09.11.2005 no virus found
    Symantec 8.0 09.11.2005 no virus found
    TheHacker 5.8.2.103 09.10.2005 no virus found
    VBA32 3.10.4 09.09.2005 no virus found

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    'r u sure?
    Doesn't it kill others along with it?

    > To kill a stubborn process?
    >
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > John:
    > >
    > > I read all kinds of stories about "KillWind.exe".
    > > Do you really think it is a good idea to use this program?
    > > To my understanding it is a utility used by HP on one of their models to
    > > help sustain their warranty service.
    > > Why would anyone else want to use it?
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message
    > > > See if Killwind (attached) works. Heuristic virus scanning identifies
    > it
    > > as
    > > > a virus but it isn't really.
    > > >
    > > > "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    > > applications
    > > > process
    > as
    > > FAIL
    > > wish
    > convenient.

    I should have been more forthcoming. I haven't used it lately. We used to
    use it when 98SE had shutdown problems. It requires command line parameters
    such as -all which is how I have the shortcut set up. It prompts for a
    OK/Cancel before stopping any process. If you want to stop ONE specific
    process that isn't listed in the systray or the Close Program dialog you
    agree OK for that ONE and disagree Cancel for all the rest. It really can
    be harmless. Killwind has been getting too much bad press.

    > 'r u sure?
    > Doesn't it kill others along with it?
    >

    > "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message
    > > To kill a stubborn process?
    > >
    > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > John:
    > > >
    > > > I read all kinds of stories about "KillWind.exe".
    > > > Do you really think it is a good idea to use this program?
    > > > To my understanding it is a utility used by HP on one of their models
    > > > help sustain their warranty service.
    > > > Why would anyone else want to use it?
    > > >
    > > > Harry.
    > > >

    > > > "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message
    > > it
    > > > as

    > > > applications
    > > as
    PROCESS.exe
    > > > FAIL
    > > > wish
    > > convenient.

    Thank you, David.

    > From: "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co>
    >
    > | See if Killwind (attached) works. Heuristic virus scanning identifies
    it as
    > | a virus but it isn't really.
    >
    > Well, it is not even close to being a virus. McAfee declares it as
    "ProcKill-T"
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99882.htm
    > "This detection is an application type for a "potentially unwanted
    application". "

    > It is not that it is malware. It has the potential to be used
    maliciously.
    > It can be used safely if one knows what they are doing.
    >
    > The term virus was much too harsh to define this utility.
    >

    > AntiVir 6.31.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > Avast 4.6.695.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > AVG 718 09.10.2005 no virus found
    > Avira 6.31.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > BitDefender 7.0 09.02.2005 no virus found
    > CAT-QuickHeal 8.00 09.12.2005 no virus found
    > ClamAV devel-20050725 09.11.2005 no virus found
    > DrWeb 4.32b 09.11.2005 no virus found
    > eTrust-Iris 7.1.194.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > eTrust-Vet 11.9.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > Fortinet 2.41.0.0 09.07.2005 no virus found
    > F-Prot 3.16c 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > Ikarus 0.2.59.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 09.12.2005 no virus found
    > McAfee 4578 09.09.2005 potentially unwanted program ProcKill-T
    > NOD32v2 1.1213 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > Norman 5.70.10 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > Panda 8.02.00 09.11.2005 Application/KillApp.C
    > Sophos 3.97.0 09.11.2005 no virus found
    > Symantec 8.0 09.11.2005 no virus found
    > TheHacker 5.8.2.103 09.10.2005 no virus found
    > VBA32 3.10.4 09.09.2005 no virus found
    >

    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I don't use any messenger/chat programs. They can be backdoored to call
    home from the errant source program. The user will have no clue if already
    connected to the internet. Or, if it lies in wait for that to happen. And
    that's probably what's happening.

    From: "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co>

    | Thank you, David.

    No problem John.

    Just wanted to clarify that info. so it is known that this utility can be used safely.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Thankyou.. here is what the handy resource at http://virusscan.jotti.org/
    found out:

    File: KillWind.exe

    malware by scanners known to generate more false positives than the average
    scanner. Do not consider these results definately accurate. Also, because of
    this, results of this scan will not be recorded in the database.)

    MD5 f1a66ab2bda4adb158cd9ef51e41e826

    Scanner results
    AntiVir Found nothing
    ArcaVir Found nothing
    Avast Found nothing
    AVG Antivirus Found nothing
    BitDefender Found nothing
    ClamAV Found nothing
    Dr.Web Found nothing
    F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
    Fortinet Found ProcKill
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found nothing
    NOD32 Found nothing
    Norman Virus Control Found nothing
    UNA Found nothing
    VBA32 Found nothing

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote..

    > Well, it is not even close to being a virus. McAfee declares it as
    "ProcKill-T"
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99882.htm
    > "This detection is an application type for a "potentially unwanted
    application". "

    > It is not that it is malware. It has the potential to be used
    maliciously.
    > It can be used safely if one knows what they are doing.
    >
    > The term virus was much too harsh to define this utility.
    >

    > AntiVir 6.31.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > Avast 4.6.695.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > AVG 718 09.10.2005 no virus found
    > Avira 6.31.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > BitDefender 7.0 09.02.2005 no virus found
    > CAT-QuickHeal 8.00 09.12.2005 no virus found
    > ClamAV devel-20050725 09.11.2005 no virus found
    > DrWeb 4.32b 09.11.2005 no virus found
    > eTrust-Iris 7.1.194.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > eTrust-Vet 11.9.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > Fortinet 2.41.0.0 09.07.2005 no virus found
    > F-Prot 3.16c 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > Ikarus 0.2.59.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 09.12.2005 no virus found
    > McAfee 4578 09.09.2005 potentially unwanted program ProcKill-T
    > NOD32v2 1.1213 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > Norman 5.70.10 09.09.2005 no virus found
    > Panda 8.02.00 09.11.2005 Application/KillApp.C
    > Sophos 3.97.0 09.11.2005 no virus found
    > Symantec 8.0 09.11.2005 no virus found
    > TheHacker 5.8.2.103 09.10.2005 no virus found
    > VBA32 3.10.4 09.09.2005 no virus found
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com>

    | Thankyou.. here is what the handy resource at http://virusscan.jotti.org/
    | found out:
    |
    | File: KillWind.exe

    | malware by scanners known to generate more false positives than the average
    | scanner. Do not consider these results definately accurate. Also, because of
    | this, results of this scan will not be recorded in the database.)
    |
    | MD5 f1a66ab2bda4adb158cd9ef51e41e826

    As you can see, I didn't/don't use Jotti.

    I much prefer Virus Total -- http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html

    It is a professional and trusted site as well as having more AV vendor scanners and thus is
    the preferred site to use.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Now we are clear on this, John.
    Dave's contribution was also very helpful.
    Thanks to both of you.

    > I should have been more forthcoming. I haven't used it lately. We used
    > use it when 98SE had shutdown problems. It requires command line
    parameters
    > such as -all which is how I have the shortcut set up. It prompts for a
    > OK/Cancel before stopping any process. If you want to stop ONE specific
    > process that isn't listed in the systray or the Close Program dialog you
    > agree OK for that ONE and disagree Cancel for all the rest. It really can
    > be harmless. Killwind has been getting too much bad press.
    >
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > 'r u sure?
    > > Doesn't it kill others along with it?
    > >

    > > "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message