kill stubborn processes - HOW?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 11, 2005 12:25:16 AM

I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of applications
that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's process
is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
(ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running, FAIL to
kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I wish
to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 3:40:36 AM

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.h...
Try updating to the new version of PE.
Heirloom, old and good app

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
>I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of applications
> that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
> happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
> process
> is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
> PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
> (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running, FAIL
> kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
> process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I wish
> to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
> Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 12:47:44 PM

What is/are the process(es)?
And why the mystery in not stating so to begin with?

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of applications
> that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
> happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
process
> is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
> PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
> (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running, FAIL
> kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
> process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I wish
> to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
> Thanks in advance!

September 11, 2005 1:21:09 PM

I'm with Dave..........it would help to know what the processes are and the
associated apps. Do these show up in "End Task" when you hit C-A-D??
Also, it is much better to stop the process by ending the program as opposed
to killing a facet of it (of course, you probably already know that). Post
back with the offending processes and apps. Just off the cuff, it sounds
as if you may have some software conflicts.
Heirloom, old and got up too early

news:o SzGndttFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> What is/are the process(es)?
> And why the mystery in not stating so to begin with?
>
> "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
>> I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of applications
>> that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
>> happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
> process
>> is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
>> PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
>> (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running, FAIL
>> kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
>> process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I
>> wish
>> to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
>> Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 1:41:28 PM

Does work. Same problem.

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote..
> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.h...
> Try updating to the new version of PE.
> Heirloom, old and good app
>

> "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote..
> >I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of applications
> > that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
> > happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
> > process
> > is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
> > PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
> > (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running,
FAIL
> > kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
> > process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I
wish
> > to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
> > Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 5:13:51 PM

It doesn't happen often. It has only happend to approx 3 applications that
I have been using over time. The current problem is with Miranda (instant
messenger, www.miranda-im.org) For the most part the application runs
well, and is quite reliable. But sometimes it will fail with a sudden -
"blah blah blah has caused an exception error and will now close.." and just
forces me to "OK" to close. However, I can't relaunch the program. The
"miranda.exe" process would still be in memory according to PROCEXP.exe by
Sysinternals. The Miranda process does NOT show up in the TaskList
(ctr-alt-del) after it reports its failure and closing. However.. the
Sysinternal's program shows that it's there. But Sysinternal's KILL does
not succeed to kill it.

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> I'm with Dave..........it would help to know what the processes are and
the
> associated apps. Do these show up in "End Task" when you hit C-A-D??
> Also, it is much better to stop the process by ending the program as
opposed
> to killing a facet of it (of course, you probably already know that).
Post
> back with the offending processes and apps. Just off the cuff, it sounds
> as if you may have some software conflicts.
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 5:15:20 PM

No mystery intended. I was also looking for a process killer that might
ALWAYS work no matter what process is in question.

It doesn't happen often. It has only happend to approx 3 applications that
I have been using over time. The current problem is with Miranda (instant
messenger, www.miranda-im.org) For the most part the application runs
well, and is quite reliable. But sometimes it will fail with a sudden -
"blah blah blah has caused an exception error and will now close.." and just
forces me to "OK" to close. However, I can't relaunch the program. The
"miranda.exe" process would still be in memory according to PROCEXP.exe by
Sysinternals. The Miranda process does NOT show up in the TaskList
(ctr-alt-del).

news:o SzGndttFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> What is/are the process(es)?
> And why the mystery in not stating so to begin with?
>
> "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> > I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of
applications
> > that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
> > happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
> process
> > is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
> > PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
> > (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running,
FAIL
> > kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
> > process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I
wish
> > to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
> > Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 12:58:21 AM

John:

I read all kinds of stories about "KillWind.exe".
Do you really think it is a good idea to use this program?
To my understanding it is a utility used by HP on one of their models to
help sustain their warranty service.
Why would anyone else want to use it?

Harry.

"John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message
> See if Killwind (attached) works. Heuristic virus scanning identifies it
as
> a virus but it isn't really.
>
> "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> > I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of
applications
> > that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
> > happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
> process
> > is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
> > PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
> > (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running,
FAIL
> > kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
> > process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I
wish
> > to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
> > Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 1:49:28 AM

John:

I read all kinds of stories about "KillWind.exe".
To my understanding HP uses this utility to sustain the warranty for one of
their computer models.
Should anyone else really use the program?
It kills all running programs in Windows!
Do you think that's a good idea?

Harry.

"John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message
> See if Killwind (attached) works. Heuristic virus scanning identifies it
as
> a virus but it isn't really.
>
> "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> > I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of
applications
> > that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
> > happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
> process
> > is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such as
> > PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
> > (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running,
FAIL
> > kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
> > process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I
wish
> > to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor convenient.
> > Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:18:41 AM

To kill a stubborn process?

> John:
>
> I read all kinds of stories about "KillWind.exe".
> Do you really think it is a good idea to use this program?
> To my understanding it is a utility used by HP on one of their models to
> help sustain their warranty service.
> Why would anyone else want to use it?
>
> Harry.
>

> "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message
> > See if Killwind (attached) works. Heuristic virus scanning identifies
it
> as
> > a virus but it isn't really.
> >
> > "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> > > I need to kill some processes that seem to leave remnants of
> applications
> > > that have caused exception errors and closed on their own. When that
> > > happens, I can't seem to reload the main program. The application's
> > process
> > > is nolonger listed in the TaskList (ctrl-alt-del), but programs such
as
> > > PROCEXP.exe (Process Explorer 8.6, by SysInternals, and PROCESS.exe
> > > (ilProcessViewer) although list the offending process still running,
> FAIL
> > > kill it! So.. does anyone have any other fool-proof methof to kill a
> > > process? Sofar, the only way to recover access to the program that I
> wish
> > > to relaunch is if I reboot the pc; that is not practical nor
convenient.
> > > Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:36:06 AM

From: "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co>

| See if Killwind (attached) works. Heuristic virus scanning identifies it as
| a virus but it isn't really.

Well, it is not even close to being a virus. McAfee declares it as "ProcKill-T"
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99882.htm
"This detection is an application type for a "potentially unwanted application". "

It is not that it is malware. It has the potential to be used maliciously.
It can be used safely if one knows what they are doing.

The term virus was much too harsh to define this utility.

AntiVir 6.31.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
Avast 4.6.695.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
AVG 718 09.10.2005 no virus found
Avira 6.31.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
BitDefender 7.0 09.02.2005 no virus found
CAT-QuickHeal 8.00 09.12.2005 no virus found
ClamAV devel-20050725 09.11.2005 no virus found
DrWeb 4.32b 09.11.2005 no virus found
eTrust-Iris 7.1.194.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
eTrust-Vet 11.9.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
Fortinet 2.41.0.0 09.07.2005 no virus found
F-Prot 3.16c 09.09.2005 no virus found
Ikarus 0.2.59.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 09.12.2005 no virus found
McAfee 4578 09.09.2005 potentially unwanted program ProcKill-T
NOD32v2 1.1213 09.09.2005 no virus found
Norman 5.70.10 09.09.2005 no virus found
Panda 8.02.00 09.11.2005 Application/KillApp.C
Sophos 3.97.0 09.11.2005 no virus found
Symantec 8.0 09.11.2005 no virus found
TheHacker 5.8.2.103 09.10.2005 no virus found
VBA32 3.10.4 09.09.2005 no virus found

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

'r u sure?
Doesn't it kill others along with it?

"John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message
news:o AkYvi0tFHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> To kill a stubborn process?
>
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > John:
> >
> > I read all kinds of stories about "KillWind.exe".
> > Do you really think it is a good idea to use this program?
> > To my understanding it is a utility used by HP on one of their models to
> > help sustain their warranty service.
> > Why would anyone else want to use it?
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message
> > > See if Killwind (attached) works. Heuristic virus scanning identifies
> it
> > as
> > > a virus but it isn't really.
> > >
> > > "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> > applications
> > > process
> as
> > FAIL
> > wish
> convenient.

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:33:43 AM

I should have been more forthcoming. I haven't used it lately. We used to
use it when 98SE had shutdown problems. It requires command line parameters
such as -all which is how I have the shortcut set up. It prompts for a
OK/Cancel before stopping any process. If you want to stop ONE specific
process that isn't listed in the systray or the Close Program dialog you
agree OK for that ONE and disagree Cancel for all the rest. It really can
be harmless. Killwind has been getting too much bad press.

news:o v2wwq0tFHA.1256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> 'r u sure?
> Doesn't it kill others along with it?
>

> "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message
> news:o AkYvi0tFHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > To kill a stubborn process?
> >
> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > John:
> > >
> > > I read all kinds of stories about "KillWind.exe".
> > > Do you really think it is a good idea to use this program?
> > > To my understanding it is a utility used by HP on one of their models
> > > help sustain their warranty service.
> > > Why would anyone else want to use it?
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >

> > > "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote in message
> > it
> > > as

> > > applications
> > as
PROCESS.exe
> > > FAIL
> > > wish
> > convenient.

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:35:36 AM

Thank you, David.

> From: "John Marion" <john-no-spam@no-spam.co>
>
> | See if Killwind (attached) works. Heuristic virus scanning identifies
it as
> | a virus but it isn't really.
>
> Well, it is not even close to being a virus. McAfee declares it as
"ProcKill-T"
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99882.htm
> "This detection is an application type for a "potentially unwanted
application". "

> It is not that it is malware. It has the potential to be used
maliciously.
> It can be used safely if one knows what they are doing.
>
> The term virus was much too harsh to define this utility.
>

> AntiVir 6.31.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
> Avast 4.6.695.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
> AVG 718 09.10.2005 no virus found
> Avira 6.31.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
> BitDefender 7.0 09.02.2005 no virus found
> CAT-QuickHeal 8.00 09.12.2005 no virus found
> ClamAV devel-20050725 09.11.2005 no virus found
> DrWeb 4.32b 09.11.2005 no virus found
> eTrust-Iris 7.1.194.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
> eTrust-Vet 11.9.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
> Fortinet 2.41.0.0 09.07.2005 no virus found
> F-Prot 3.16c 09.09.2005 no virus found
> Ikarus 0.2.59.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
> Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 09.12.2005 no virus found
> McAfee 4578 09.09.2005 potentially unwanted program ProcKill-T
> NOD32v2 1.1213 09.09.2005 no virus found
> Norman 5.70.10 09.09.2005 no virus found
> Panda 8.02.00 09.11.2005 Application/KillApp.C
> Sophos 3.97.0 09.11.2005 no virus found
> Symantec 8.0 09.11.2005 no virus found
> TheHacker 5.8.2.103 09.10.2005 no virus found
> VBA32 3.10.4 09.09.2005 no virus found
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:36:42 AM

I don't use any messenger/chat programs. They can be backdoored to call
home from the errant source program. The user will have no clue if already
connected to the internet. Or, if it lies in wait for that to happen. And
that's probably what's happening.

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
news:o uxWuRvtFHA.664@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> It doesn't happen often. It has only happend to approx 3 applications
that
> I have been using over time. The current problem is with Miranda (instant
> messenger, www.miranda-im.org) For the most part the application runs
> well, and is quite reliable. But sometimes it will fail with a sudden -
> "blah blah blah has caused an exception error and will now close.." and
just
> forces me to "OK" to close. However, I can't relaunch the program. The
> "miranda.exe" process would still be in memory according to PROCEXP.exe by
> Sysinternals. The Miranda process does NOT show up in the TaskList
> (ctr-alt-del) after it reports its failure and closing. However.. the
> Sysinternal's program shows that it's there. But Sysinternal's KILL does
> not succeed to kill it.
>

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> > I'm with Dave..........it would help to know what the processes are and
> the
> > associated apps. Do these show up in "End Task" when you hit C-A-D??
> > Also, it is much better to stop the process by ending the program as
> opposed
> > to killing a facet of it (of course, you probably already know that).
> Post
> > back with the offending processes and apps. Just off the cuff, it
sounds
> > as if you may have some software conflicts.

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:04:23 PM

Thankyou.. here is what the handy resource at http://virusscan.jotti.org/
found out:

File: KillWind.exe

malware by scanners known to generate more false positives than the average
scanner. Do not consider these results definately accurate. Also, because of
this, results of this scan will not be recorded in the database.)

MD5 f1a66ab2bda4adb158cd9ef51e41e826

Scanner results
AntiVir Found nothing
ArcaVir Found nothing
Avast Found nothing
AVG Antivirus Found nothing
BitDefender Found nothing
ClamAV Found nothing
Dr.Web Found nothing
F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
Fortinet Found ProcKill
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found nothing
NOD32 Found nothing
Norman Virus Control Found nothing
UNA Found nothing
VBA32 Found nothing

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote..

> Well, it is not even close to being a virus. McAfee declares it as
"ProcKill-T"
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99882.htm
> "This detection is an application type for a "potentially unwanted
application". "

> It is not that it is malware. It has the potential to be used
maliciously.
> It can be used safely if one knows what they are doing.
>
> The term virus was much too harsh to define this utility.
>

> AntiVir 6.31.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
> Avast 4.6.695.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
> AVG 718 09.10.2005 no virus found
> Avira 6.31.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
> BitDefender 7.0 09.02.2005 no virus found
> CAT-QuickHeal 8.00 09.12.2005 no virus found
> ClamAV devel-20050725 09.11.2005 no virus found
> DrWeb 4.32b 09.11.2005 no virus found
> eTrust-Iris 7.1.194.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
> eTrust-Vet 11.9.1.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
> Fortinet 2.41.0.0 09.07.2005 no virus found
> F-Prot 3.16c 09.09.2005 no virus found
> Ikarus 0.2.59.0 09.09.2005 no virus found
> Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 09.12.2005 no virus found
> McAfee 4578 09.09.2005 potentially unwanted program ProcKill-T
> NOD32v2 1.1213 09.09.2005 no virus found
> Norman 5.70.10 09.09.2005 no virus found
> Panda 8.02.00 09.11.2005 Application/KillApp.C
> Sophos 3.97.0 09.11.2005 no virus found
> Symantec 8.0 09.11.2005 no virus found
> TheHacker 5.8.2.103 09.10.2005 no virus found
> VBA32 3.10.4 09.09.2005 no virus found
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:13:00 PM

From: "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com>

| Thankyou.. here is what the handy resource at http://virusscan.jotti.org/
| found out:
|
| File: KillWind.exe

| malware by scanners known to generate more false positives than the average
| scanner. Do not consider these results definately accurate. Also, because of
| this, results of this scan will not be recorded in the database.)
|
| MD5 f1a66ab2bda4adb158cd9ef51e41e826

As you can see, I didn't/don't use Jotti.

I much prefer Virus Total -- http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html

It is a professional and trusted site as well as having more AV vendor scanners and thus is
the preferred site to use.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:44:18 PM

Now we are clear on this, John.
Dave's contribution was also very helpful.
Thanks to both of you.

news:o S7cMu1tFHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!