What's the best wireless choice for client systems?

Ruthless

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2002

So I'm buying a wireless router to get online. I've decided
on D-Link AirPlus DI-524 Wireless Router. For the client
end, should I get the adaptor card for the desktop? PC card
for my notebook? or USB adaptor for both desktop and
notebook?

It looks USB adaptor is the most compatible and simple
solution. It can be plugged into a notebook or a desktop
with ease. But is it as fast as the other two choices? I
feel USB is slow when I used it to download pictures from my
SONY camera. What do you think?

"ruthless" <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote...
> So I'm buying a wireless router to get online. I've decided
> on D-Link AirPlus DI-524 Wireless Router. For the client
> end, should I get the adaptor card for the desktop? PC card
> for my notebook? or USB adaptor for both desktop and
> notebook?
>
> It looks USB adaptor is the most compatible and simple
> solution. It can be plugged into a notebook or a desktop
> with ease. But is it as fast as the other two choices? I
> feel USB is slow when I used it to download pictures from my
> SONY camera. What do you think?

Get separate cards for desktop (PCI) and notebook (PC-Card). USB is most
trouble-prone, even if more convenient (for initial installation).

Also, if you have only USB 1.1, it will likely be much slower than the
capability of the 54G wireless system.

ruthless wrote:

> So I'm buying a wireless router to get online. I've decided
> on D-Link AirPlus DI-524 Wireless Router. For the client
> end, should I get the adaptor card for the desktop? PC card
> for my notebook? or USB adaptor for both desktop and
> notebook?
>
> It looks USB adaptor is the most compatible and simple
> solution. It can be plugged into a notebook or a desktop
> with ease. But is it as fast as the other two choices? I
> feel USB is slow when I used it to download pictures from my
> SONY camera. What do you think?

USB wasn't designed for networking and you can only put one computer on it.
But, within those limits, it works well enough for those who suffer
panic attacks at the thought of opening a computer case.

The typical arrangement is to use wired ethernet for desktops and wireless
for notebooks but if you don't care about the luggable wireless
convenience, or need the faster data rates, then use wired for the notebook
as well.

If you have a problem stringing cables, and don't care about data rates,
then use wireless.