Attention "Mart"--Re: Computer Boots to Black Screen

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 13, 2005 7:08:34 PM

Hi Mart,

Seems forever since I posted my plea for help--but finally, after eight
weeks of downtime, I'm fixed up and back in business. Because it never once
booted black for him, my tech was so perplexed with my problem that he
finally sent the box out to the motherboard manufacturer who told him that
the MB was cooked--literally.

Is it assumed these days that everyone lives and computes in air-conditioned
comfort?? When during my troubles the experienced guy who built this
computer had me remove the side to blow air across the works in case it was
overheating, I noticed there was only one fan inside--a little flat one on
top of the processor. This machine did not have an exhaust fan mounted on
the back of the box! Every other computer I've had did--even the old
horizontal version--and I ran them all throughout the hottest
non-air-conditioned MOzark summers without burning any of them up. This
one--assembled just last March--made it fine through June, then limped into
July and quit working!

At any rate, I now have a new motherboard, two housing exhaust fans, and a
hardware monitoring program to keep tabs on internal temperature. I also
have a new issue with the way Windows Me recognizes hard drives--but
I'll put that question in a fresh post.

Once again, I thank you for your kind response.

carol