UP AND RUNNING ON XP!!!!!

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
September 13, 2005 10:00:42 PM

Hi All.....

Been a long bloody day, but am now up and running (with a lot of tweaking to
do) on XP!! FINALLY!! My special thanks to Mike and Noel for their
patience and help.

You should see the case that Willy picked out for me.......a teenager would
kill for it, lol!! Black and silver with royal blue lights
glowing....ROFL!! When he first showed me it, I damn near died and almost
went to boring beige. But Ron thought it would be fun and to go for
it.....so I did. Didn't know I would get one side partly translucent with
neon lights tho.

Got a wireless keyboard and mouse.....hard to get used to this keyboard at
the moment. Put my old Windows95 monitor (about 14") on the WinME computer
and I can access that now. What a hassle it is, though. I got the new one
yesterday, but didn't know where to start in. So the office looks like a
whirlwind hit it as I am rearranging everything. And finally getting rid of
some of the clutter.

I think I am going to really enjoy this......but the dam keyboard is driving
me nuts!!

FIRST QUESTION: How do I change the font in Outlook Express???? I hate
this courier font. I put in Arial but it didn't do anything. Change it to
Western ISO? It is set at Western Windows IIRC.

Yes, Mike and Noel......I made sure SP2 Firewall was on, grin. And I
transferred EZ Trust over via CD and opened it before going online. Got
AdAware & SpywareBlaster on here as well. Willy admitted he hates Norton
too and said I knew so much about malware that he wasn't worried and to use
one of the freebies.

Aha....just found QuickLaunch toolbar. Will get that on here. I have some
programs that I don't know what they are. OH.....just checked and I have
InCD....neat!! I recall you guys talking about it.

Off to have a bite to eat. Been at this since noon and Ron is making
supper. I forgot the real world existed, lol.

Cheers.....Heather

More about : running

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 11:08:59 PM

Yay, Figglet! You realize, of course, that even with XP SP2, you still
need to 'graze' here. Your case sounds like the one I have......is it an
Antec Lanboy??
Heirloom, old and the world is about to change

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi All.....
>
> Been a long bloody day, but am now up and running (with a lot of tweaking
> to do) on XP!! FINALLY!! My special thanks to Mike and Noel for their
> patience and help.
>
> You should see the case that Willy picked out for me.......a teenager
> would kill for it, lol!! Black and silver with royal blue lights
> glowing....ROFL!! When he first showed me it, I damn near died and almost
> went to boring beige. But Ron thought it would be fun and to go for
> it.....so I did. Didn't know I would get one side partly translucent with
> neon lights tho.
>
> Got a wireless keyboard and mouse.....hard to get used to this keyboard at
> the moment. Put my old Windows95 monitor (about 14") on the WinME
> computer and I can access that now. What a hassle it is, though. I got
> the new one yesterday, but didn't know where to start in. So the office
> looks like a whirlwind hit it as I am rearranging everything. And finally
> getting rid of some of the clutter.
>
> I think I am going to really enjoy this......but the dam keyboard is
> driving me nuts!!
>
> FIRST QUESTION: How do I change the font in Outlook Express???? I hate
> this courier font. I put in Arial but it didn't do anything. Change it
> to Western ISO? It is set at Western Windows IIRC.
>
> Yes, Mike and Noel......I made sure SP2 Firewall was on, grin. And I
> transferred EZ Trust over via CD and opened it before going online. Got
> AdAware & SpywareBlaster on here as well. Willy admitted he hates Norton
> too and said I knew so much about malware that he wasn't worried and to
> use one of the freebies.
>
> Aha....just found QuickLaunch toolbar. Will get that on here. I have
> some programs that I don't know what they are. OH.....just checked and I
> have InCD....neat!! I recall you guys talking about it.
>
> Off to have a bite to eat. Been at this since noon and Ron is making
> supper. I forgot the real world existed, lol.
>
> Cheers.....Heather

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 12:03:25 AM

Heather:

Happy XPeeeeeeeing! (VBG)
You beat me to it but, according to Mike I have about a year to go since
I bought my copy. So, I still have a chance to get in under your record.
I have all kinds of hardware sitting around here to upgrade my machine
and have just been too lazy to dig in and get it done. Meanwhile, I will
still be lurking around and enjoying the fun spirit of this group.

sced13ri

Heather wrote:
> Hi All.....
>
> Been a long bloody day, but am now up and running (with a lot of tweaking to
> do) on XP!! FINALLY!! My special thanks to Mike and Noel for their
> patience and help.
>
> You should see the case that Willy picked out for me.......a teenager would
> kill for it, lol!! Black and silver with royal blue lights
> glowing....ROFL!! When he first showed me it, I damn near died and almost
> went to boring beige. But Ron thought it would be fun and to go for
> it.....so I did. Didn't know I would get one side partly translucent with
> neon lights tho.
>
> Got a wireless keyboard and mouse.....hard to get used to this keyboard at
> the moment. Put my old Windows95 monitor (about 14") on the WinME computer
> and I can access that now. What a hassle it is, though. I got the new one
> yesterday, but didn't know where to start in. So the office looks like a
> whirlwind hit it as I am rearranging everything. And finally getting rid of
> some of the clutter.
>
> I think I am going to really enjoy this......but the dam keyboard is driving
> me nuts!!
>
> FIRST QUESTION: How do I change the font in Outlook Express???? I hate
> this courier font. I put in Arial but it didn't do anything. Change it to
> Western ISO? It is set at Western Windows IIRC.
>
> Yes, Mike and Noel......I made sure SP2 Firewall was on, grin. And I
> transferred EZ Trust over via CD and opened it before going online. Got
> AdAware & SpywareBlaster on here as well. Willy admitted he hates Norton
> too and said I knew so much about malware that he wasn't worried and to use
> one of the freebies.
>
> Aha....just found QuickLaunch toolbar. Will get that on here. I have some
> programs that I don't know what they are. OH.....just checked and I have
> InCD....neat!! I recall you guys talking about it.
>
> Off to have a bite to eat. Been at this since noon and Ron is making
> supper. I forgot the real world existed, lol.
>
> Cheers.....Heather

Related resources
September 14, 2005 1:55:13 AM

Yo Loon........of course I will still be 'grazing' here.....can't leave all
the good folks we have been with for 4.5 years!! And hopefully I will still
be able to keep WinME working, but that ground lightning hit did more than I
thought and it is really complaining. The name on the front is "XBlade" and
the cardboard box says "Turbo Case:...generic Asian one I guess. I will
find a link and show it to you. I got the card reader floppy drive, as
well. Not quite sure what all I have on here. Willy being a man of few
words, grin. Didn't get a router or the jump drive as of yet. But all of
my other computer is backed up and I just transfer stuff over from CD's.

Think the XP groups are ready for me? LOL!!

XX Figgs

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> Yay, Figglet! You realize, of course, that even with XP SP2, you still
> need to 'graze' here. Your case sounds like the one I have......is it an
> Antec Lanboy??
> Heirloom, old and the world is about to change
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>> Hi All.....
>>
>> Been a long bloody day, but am now up and running (with a lot of tweaking
>> to do) on XP!! FINALLY!! My special thanks to Mike and Noel for their
>> patience and help.
>>
>> You should see the case that Willy picked out for me.......a teenager
>> would kill for it, lol!! Black and silver with royal blue lights
>> glowing....ROFL!! When he first showed me it, I damn near died and
>> almost went to boring beige. But Ron thought it would be fun and to go
>> for it.....so I did. Didn't know I would get one side partly translucent
>> with neon lights tho.
>>
>> Got a wireless keyboard and mouse.....hard to get used to this keyboard
>> at the moment. Put my old Windows95 monitor (about 14") on the WinME
>> computer and I can access that now. What a hassle it is, though. I got
>> the new one yesterday, but didn't know where to start in. So the office
>> looks like a whirlwind hit it as I am rearranging everything. And
>> finally getting rid of some of the clutter.
>>
>> I think I am going to really enjoy this......but the dam keyboard is
>> driving me nuts!!
>>
>> FIRST QUESTION: How do I change the font in Outlook Express???? I hate
>> this courier font. I put in Arial but it didn't do anything. Change it
>> to Western ISO? It is set at Western Windows IIRC.
>>
>> Yes, Mike and Noel......I made sure SP2 Firewall was on, grin. And I
>> transferred EZ Trust over via CD and opened it before going online. Got
>> AdAware & SpywareBlaster on here as well. Willy admitted he hates Norton
>> too and said I knew so much about malware that he wasn't worried and to
>> use one of the freebies.
>>
>> Aha....just found QuickLaunch toolbar. Will get that on here. I have
>> some programs that I don't know what they are. OH.....just checked and I
>> have InCD....neat!! I recall you guys talking about it.
>>
>> Off to have a bite to eat. Been at this since noon and Ron is making
>> supper. I forgot the real world existed, lol.
>>
>> Cheers.....Heather

September 14, 2005 3:35:57 AM

> Aha....just found QuickLaunch toolbar.

<g>

> have some programs that I don't know what they are. OH.....just
> checked and I have InCD....neat!! I recall you guys talking about it.

Well, that means you have Nero, which is the one to celebrate. Nero 6,
presumably? InCD - as packet-writing software - is not to be trusted with
irreplaceable data. Funny, I finally got a Mt. Rainier-capable drive and I
never use packet-writing anymore!

Shane
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:39:04 AM

Congratulations even if it did take you a while. I seem to recall you got
your copy of XP back in, dare I mention it, April 2003, yes 2003!

Joking apart I wish you well and don't forget us here on the Win Me boards
whilst living it up on XP. As for your new hardware, let's hope it's now
all roses - you deserve some luck after your recent problems. As for
myself my new PC is, well isn't, however a new mobo is due tomorrow which
will hopefully mean that at long last I can get things up and running.

Cheers,
--
Mike

Heather <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> Hi All.....
>
> Been a long bloody day, but am now up and running (with a lot of
> tweaking to do) on XP!! FINALLY!! My special thanks to Mike and
> Noel for their patience and help.
>
> You should see the case that Willy picked out for me.......a teenager
> would kill for it, lol!! Black and silver with royal blue lights
> glowing....ROFL!! When he first showed me it, I damn near died and
> almost went to boring beige. But Ron thought it would be fun and to
> go for it.....so I did. Didn't know I would get one side partly
> translucent with neon lights tho.
>
> Got a wireless keyboard and mouse.....hard to get used to this
> keyboard at the moment. Put my old Windows95 monitor (about 14") on
> the WinME computer and I can access that now. What a hassle it is,
> though. I got the new one yesterday, but didn't know where to start
> in. So the office looks like a whirlwind hit it as I am rearranging
> everything. And finally getting rid of some of the clutter.
>
> I think I am going to really enjoy this......but the dam keyboard is
> driving me nuts!!
>
> FIRST QUESTION: How do I change the font in Outlook Express???? I
> hate this courier font. I put in Arial but it didn't do anything.
> Change it to Western ISO? It is set at Western Windows IIRC.
>
> Yes, Mike and Noel......I made sure SP2 Firewall was on, grin. And I
> transferred EZ Trust over via CD and opened it before going online. Got
> AdAware & SpywareBlaster on here as well. Willy admitted he
> hates Norton too and said I knew so much about malware that he wasn't
> worried and to use one of the freebies.
>
> Aha....just found QuickLaunch toolbar. Will get that on here. I
> have some programs that I don't know what they are. OH.....just
> checked and I have InCD....neat!! I recall you guys talking about it.
>
> Off to have a bite to eat. Been at this since noon and Ron is making
> supper. I forgot the real world existed, lol.
>
> Cheers.....Heather
September 14, 2005 3:39:05 AM

Yup....April of 2003, grin. I took a look at the paperwork before I took
the CD's over to Willy. And no way am I forgetting you all. Still running
my slightly wonky WinME.....froze on me again today. I think I got this new
computer just in time. I have 95% of it backed up, but there are silly
things like all my Bookmarks I want to transfer over, etc.

Sorry to hear you got a *bummer* motherboard. That sounds more like MY
luck!! (G) I guess I will toddle over to one of the XP groups and lurk for
a bit. I was just meandering thru the programs on here and will have to
register a few of them, I guess. Power DVD is on here....not sure what
version of Nero I have. No "Help" that I can find. There are other
programs that I don't have a clue what they are, but will investigate.

Still have speakers, printer and scanner to hook up....and put the software
on. I told Willy that if anything involved drivers, he could do it. They
are *my phobia*....he got a kick out of that!! I remember you telling me to
take a couple of days to get used to XP.....you are right!! Think I started
in on this around noon or sooner. Ron held all the cords while I untangled
everything, lol. Apparently I can still use my cable on WinME, so that may
come in handy. Flying blind here.

Cheers.....Heather
news:o AbJFQLuFHA.3104@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Congratulations even if it did take you a while. I seem to recall you got
> your copy of XP back in, dare I mention it, April 2003, yes 2003!
>
> Joking apart I wish you well and don't forget us here on the Win Me boards
> whilst living it up on XP. As for your new hardware, let's hope it's now
> all roses - you deserve some luck after your recent problems. As for
> myself my new PC is, well isn't, however a new mobo is due tomorrow which
> will hopefully mean that at long last I can get things up and running.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mike
>

> Heather <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>> Hi All.....
>>
>> Been a long bloody day, but am now up and running (with a lot of
>> tweaking to do) on XP!! FINALLY!! My special thanks to Mike and
>> Noel for their patience and help.
>>
>> You should see the case that Willy picked out for me.......a teenager
>> would kill for it, lol!! Black and silver with royal blue lights
>> glowing....ROFL!! When he first showed me it, I damn near died and
>> almost went to boring beige. But Ron thought it would be fun and to
>> go for it.....so I did. Didn't know I would get one side partly
>> translucent with neon lights tho.
>>
>> Got a wireless keyboard and mouse.....hard to get used to this
>> keyboard at the moment. Put my old Windows95 monitor (about 14") on
>> the WinME computer and I can access that now. What a hassle it is,
>> though. I got the new one yesterday, but didn't know where to start
>> in. So the office looks like a whirlwind hit it as I am rearranging
>> everything. And finally getting rid of some of the clutter.
>>
>> I think I am going to really enjoy this......but the dam keyboard is
>> driving me nuts!!
>>
>> FIRST QUESTION: How do I change the font in Outlook Express???? I
>> hate this courier font. I put in Arial but it didn't do anything.
>> Change it to Western ISO? It is set at Western Windows IIRC.
>>
>> Yes, Mike and Noel......I made sure SP2 Firewall was on, grin. And I
>> transferred EZ Trust over via CD and opened it before going online. Got
>> AdAware & SpywareBlaster on here as well. Willy admitted he
>> hates Norton too and said I knew so much about malware that he wasn't
>> worried and to use one of the freebies.
>>
>> Aha....just found QuickLaunch toolbar. Will get that on here. I
>> have some programs that I don't know what they are. OH.....just
>> checked and I have InCD....neat!! I recall you guys talking about it.
>>
>> Off to have a bite to eat. Been at this since noon and Ron is making
>> supper. I forgot the real world existed, lol.
>>
>> Cheers.....Heather

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:52:57 AM

Yippee!! - ... and about time too!

Mart

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi All.....
>
> Been a long bloody day, but am now up and running (with a lot of tweaking
> to do) on XP!! FINALLY!! My special thanks to Mike and Noel for their
> patience and help.
>
> You should see the case that Willy picked out for me.......a teenager
> would kill for it, lol!! Black and silver with royal blue lights
> glowing....ROFL!! When he first showed me it, I damn near died and almost
> went to boring beige. But Ron thought it would be fun and to go for
> it.....so I did. Didn't know I would get one side partly translucent with
> neon lights tho.
>
> Got a wireless keyboard and mouse.....hard to get used to this keyboard at
> the moment. Put my old Windows95 monitor (about 14") on the WinME
> computer and I can access that now. What a hassle it is, though. I got
> the new one yesterday, but didn't know where to start in. So the office
> looks like a whirlwind hit it as I am rearranging everything. And finally
> getting rid of some of the clutter.
>
> I think I am going to really enjoy this......but the dam keyboard is
> driving me nuts!!
>
> FIRST QUESTION: How do I change the font in Outlook Express???? I hate
> this courier font. I put in Arial but it didn't do anything. Change it
> to Western ISO? It is set at Western Windows IIRC.
>
> Yes, Mike and Noel......I made sure SP2 Firewall was on, grin. And I
> transferred EZ Trust over via CD and opened it before going online. Got
> AdAware & SpywareBlaster on here as well. Willy admitted he hates Norton
> too and said I knew so much about malware that he wasn't worried and to
> use one of the freebies.
>
> Aha....just found QuickLaunch toolbar. Will get that on here. I have
> some programs that I don't know what they are. OH.....just checked and I
> have InCD....neat!! I recall you guys talking about it.
>
> Off to have a bite to eat. Been at this since noon and Ron is making
> supper. I forgot the real world existed, lol.
>
> Cheers.....Heather

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 10:14:17 AM

http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/AT-08000.html
would seem to be the one, Figgs?

WTG, BTW! - have fun!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> [...]
>>> driving me nuts!!
>>>
>>> FIRST QUESTION: How do I change the font in Outlook Express???? I hate
>>> this courier font. I put in Arial but it didn't do anything. Change
>>> it to Western ISO? It is set at Western Windows IIRC.
>>>
>>> Yes, Mike and Noel......I made sure SP2 Firewall was on, grin. And I
>>> transferred EZ Trust over via CD and opened it before going online. Got
>>> AdAware & SpywareBlaster on here as well. Willy admitted he hates
>>> Norton too and said I knew so much about malware that he wasn't worried
>>> and to use one of the freebies.
>>>
>>> Aha....just found QuickLaunch toolbar. Will get that on here. I have
>>> some programs that I don't know what they are. OH.....just checked and
>>> I have InCD....neat!! I recall you guys talking about it.
>>>
>>> Off to have a bite to eat. Been at this since noon and Ron is making
>>> supper. I forgot the real world existed, lol.

September 14, 2005 10:14:18 AM

YES!! Isn't that wild?? Or have I been housebound too long and lots of
people have this?? Nah. Willy thot it was a fun thing to set me up with
something a teenager would love!!

Having fun......just found one bug in OE that was driving me nuts. Now on
to the next thing or ten.

XX Figgs

> http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/AT-08000.html
> would seem to be the one, Figgs?
>
> WTG, BTW! - have fun!
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>> Yo Loon........of course I will still be 'grazing' here.....can't leave
>> all the good folks we have been with for 4.5 years!! And hopefully I
>> will still be able to keep WinME working, but that ground lightning hit
>> did more than I thought and it is really complaining. The name on the
>> front is "XBlade" and the cardboard box says "Turbo Case:...generic Asian
>> one I guess. I will find a link and show it to you. I got the card
>> reader floppy drive, as well. Not quite sure what all I have on here.
>> Willy being a man of few words, grin. Didn't get a router or the jump
>> drive as of yet. But all of my other computer is backed up and I just
>> transfer stuff over from CD's.
>>
>> Think the XP groups are ready for me? LOL!!
>>
>> XX Figgs
>>
>> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>>> Yay, Figglet! You realize, of course, that even with XP SP2, you still
>>> need to 'graze' here. Your case sounds like the one I have......is it
>>> an Antec Lanboy??
>>> Heirloom, old and the world is about to
>>> change
>>>

>>> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message

September 14, 2005 10:14:18 AM

Oh....and the front opens like a door where that *motorcycle insignia* is,
lol. Floppy and 3 empty slots behind it. And I have EIGHT USB slots.
After two, that is excellent!! And the multi-card reader in the floppy
drive that you suggested.

XX Figgs
> http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/AT-08000.html
> would seem to be the one, Figgs?
>
> WTG, BTW! - have fun!
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>> Yo Loon........of course I will still be 'grazing' here.....can't leave
>> all the good folks we have been with for 4.5 years!! And hopefully I
>> will still be able to keep WinME working, but that ground lightning hit
>> did more than I thought and it is really complaining. The name on the
>> front is "XBlade" and the cardboard box says "Turbo Case:...generic Asian
>> one I guess. I will find a link and show it to you. I got the card
>> reader floppy drive, as well. Not quite sure what all I have on here.
>> Willy being a man of few words, grin. Didn't get a router or the jump
>> drive as of yet. But all of my other computer is backed up and I just
>> transfer stuff over from CD's.
>>
>> Think the XP groups are ready for me? LOL!!
>>
>> XX Figgs
>>
>> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>>> Yay, Figglet! You realize, of course, that even with XP SP2, you still
>>> need to 'graze' here. Your case sounds like the one I have......is it
>>> an Antec Lanboy??
>>> Heirloom, old and the world is about to
>>> change
>>>

>>> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:28:29 PM

<lol> I've already answered your other posts in the other groups about
this but well done, I told you that you would like it when you finally got
there.
Knowing you I don't think you'll have any problems in the XP ng's in fact
I think you're more than a match for some of the regulars in there <vbg>
Joan

Heather wrote:
> Hi All.....
>
> Been a long bloody day, but am now up and running (with a lot of
> tweaking to do) on XP!! FINALLY!! My special thanks to Mike and
> Noel for their patience and help.
>
>snip>
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 4:11:17 PM

<lol> Just had another thought, I hope you keep a good supply of batteries
in the house as my understanding is that your new mouse and keyboard will
eat them <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:
> Hi All.....
>

> Got a wireless keyboard and mouse.....hard to get used to this
> keyboard at the moment. >snip>
September 14, 2005 6:36:47 PM

Mine lasted about 3 months in the mouse and 1 year in the keyboard, Joan.
Now, though, I use rechargables. It's really not a reason to be wary of
going cordless. Plus you get warning and everyone sells AA's.

Shane

Joan Archer wrote:
> <lol> Just had another thought, I hope you keep a good supply of
> batteries in the house as my understanding is that your new mouse and
> keyboard will eat them <g>
> Joan
>

> Heather wrote:
>> Hi All.....
>>

>> Got a wireless keyboard and mouse.....hard to get used to this
>> keyboard at the moment. >snip>
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 6:36:48 PM

From: "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com>

| Mine lasted about 3 months in the mouse and 1 year in the keyboard, Joan.
| Now, though, I use rechargables. It's really not a reason to be wary of
| going cordless. Plus you get warning and everyone sells AA's.
|
| Shane

Alkaline batteries have a relatively short life. Lithium batteries on the other hand,
albeit more expensive @ ~$2.50 / AA battery, last much longer. EverReady Lithium batteries
come in AA and AAA.

Highly suggested !

{ If you have a Digital Camera, don't even waste your time with Alkaline Batteries, use
Lithium ! }

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

<lol> That's not bad but I suppose it depends on how much you use them and
it would be typical for Heathers to run out when the shops are closed <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> Mine lasted about 3 months in the mouse and 1 year in the keyboard,
> Joan. Now, though, I use rechargables. It's really not a reason to be
> wary of going cordless. Plus you get warning and everyone sells AA's.
>
> Shane

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 7:47:27 PM

I use rechargeable in my Digital Camera although the normal AA ones came
in useful last year when the rechargeable ones didn't have enough power to
take the last shots I needed while in the Mountain Zoo, just went to the
site shop got some ordinary ones and managed to get the last pictures I
needed <g>
Joan

David H. Lipman wrote:

> Alkaline batteries have a relatively short life. Lithium batteries
> on the other hand, albeit more expensive @ ~$2.50 / AA battery, last
> much longer. EverReady Lithium batteries come in AA and AAA.
>
> Highly suggested !
>
> { If you have a Digital Camera, don't even waste your time with
> Alkaline Batteries, use Lithium ! }
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:07:27 AM

No need, I've seen the Turbo XBlade.........pretty funky stuff for an old
broad......<g>.
Heirloom, old and much tamer

> [...]
>>> driving me nuts!!
>>>
>>> FIRST QUESTION: How do I change the font in Outlook Express???? I hate
>>> this courier font. I put in Arial but it didn't do anything. Change
>>> it to Western ISO? It is set at Western Windows IIRC.
>>>
>>> Yes, Mike and Noel......I made sure SP2 Firewall was on, grin. And I
>>> transferred EZ Trust over via CD and opened it before going online. Got
>>> AdAware & SpywareBlaster on here as well. Willy admitted he hates
>>> Norton too and said I knew so much about malware that he wasn't worried
>>> and to use one of the freebies.
>>>
>>> Aha....just found QuickLaunch toolbar. Will get that on here. I have
>>> some programs that I don't know what they are. OH.....just checked and
>>> I have InCD....neat!! I recall you guys talking about it.
>>>
>>> Off to have a bite to eat. Been at this since noon and Ron is making
>>> supper. I forgot the real world existed, lol.

September 15, 2005 4:10:13 AM

Good Grief!! I just had a look at two XP ng's. New Users hasn't got much
that I might be looking for, but the General one is like a flippin' war
zone!! Darn near as bad as the antivirus ones.

Any others that are at least civilized? Or should I perhaps *wade in*, lol.
Perhaps I will have a look at another one. Talked to the guys on the OE
one and still sorting this out. Just minor stuff.

Cheers......Figgs

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:o TiPOcRuFHA.4080@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> <lol> I've already answered your other posts in the other groups about
> this but well done, I told you that you would like it when you finally got
> there.
> Knowing you I don't think you'll have any problems in the XP ng's in fact
> I think you're more than a match for some of the regulars in there <vbg>
> Joan
>

> Heather wrote:
>> Hi All.....
>>
>> Been a long bloody day, but am now up and running (with a lot of
>> tweaking to do) on XP!! FINALLY!! My special thanks to Mike and
>> Noel for their patience and help.
>>
>>snip>

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:52:56 PM

From: "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam>

| Good Grief!! I just had a look at two XP ng's. New Users hasn't got much
| that I might be looking for, but the General one is like a flippin' war
| zone!! Darn near as bad as the antivirus ones.
|
| Any others that are at least civilized? Or should I perhaps *wade in*, lol.
| Perhaps I will have a look at another one. Talked to the guys on the OE
| one and still sorting this out. Just minor stuff.
|
| Cheers......Figgs

There are many newbies in XP General and "so called know it alls" who really don't know
much. Many in WinmE and Win98 are knowledgable and have used systems for years. There are
many in XP General who get new computers with WinXP installed and screw up their computers
from sheer stupidity and and a complete lack of computing knowledge. Therefore thare are
many *idiots* in WinXP General.

However, your ability to pen and communicate will allow you do just wade in and take the
plunge well.

There are *GOOD* MVPs there so just ignore the jerks like PCBUTTS1, Kurttrail and others.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:59:26 PM

<lol> General is fun <g> but I'm sure you're more than a match for them
<g> the only other ones I watch in XP are basics and networking.
I did see you in OE have you thought about joining Auhma forums you'll
see some of the regulars in there as well <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:
> Good Grief!! I just had a look at two XP ng's. New Users hasn't got
> much that I might be looking for, but the General one is like a
> flippin' war zone!! Darn near as bad as the antivirus ones.
>
> Any others that are at least civilized? Or should I perhaps *wade
> in*, lol. Perhaps I will have a look at another one. Talked to the
> guys on the OE one and still sorting this out. Just minor stuff.
>
> Cheers......Figgs

September 15, 2005 4:15:33 PM

news:o W63HzfuFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> From: "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam>
>
> | Good Grief!! I just had a look at two XP ng's. New Users hasn't got
> much
> | that I might be looking for, but the General one is like a flippin' war
> | zone!! Darn near as bad as the antivirus ones.
> |
> | Any others that are at least civilized? Or should I perhaps *wade in*,
> lol.
> | Perhaps I will have a look at another one. Talked to the guys on the
> OE
> | one and still sorting this out. Just minor stuff.
> |
> | Cheers......Figgs
> |

> There are many newbies in XP General and "so called know it alls" who
> really don't know
> much. Many in WinmE and Win98 are knowledgable and have used systems for
> years. There are
> many in XP General who get new computers with WinXP installed and screw up
> their computers
> from sheer stupidity and and a complete lack of computing knowledge.
> Therefore thare are many *idiots* in WinXP General.
>
> However, your ability to pen and communicate will allow you do just wade
> in and take the
> plunge well.
>
> There are *GOOD* MVPs there so just ignore the jerks like PCBUTTS1,
> Kurttrail and others.

You reading my mind?? (VBG) It was those two in particular that were
really offensive!! I will lurk some more and see how I go.

Cheers......Figgs
September 15, 2005 4:16:50 PM

I am a member of Aumha, but don't go there much. Only if I have a problem,
which means I may never have to go there with this computer, lol.

Heather
"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:o 8lbqwduFHA.2008@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> <lol> General is fun <g> but I'm sure you're more than a match for them
> <g> the only other ones I watch in XP are basics and networking.
> I did see you in OE have you thought about joining Auhma forums you'll
> see some of the regulars in there as well <g>
> Joan
>

> Heather wrote:
>> Good Grief!! I just had a look at two XP ng's. New Users hasn't got
>> much that I might be looking for, but the General one is like a
>> flippin' war zone!! Darn near as bad as the antivirus ones.
>>
>> Any others that are at least civilized? Or should I perhaps *wade
>> in*, lol. Perhaps I will have a look at another one. Talked to the
>> guys on the OE one and still sorting this out. Just minor stuff.
>>
>> Cheers......Figgs

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 7:08:28 PM

> just ignore the jerks like PCBUTTS1, Kurttrail and others.

LOL This must be the best advice you've ever given Dave, and that
includes all the help you've given people over the years with their
security problems.
--
Mike

David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

> There are many newbies in XP General and "so called know it alls" who
> really don't know much. Many in WinmE and Win98 are knowledgable and
> have used systems for years. There are many in XP General who get
> new computers with WinXP installed and screw up their computers from
> sheer stupidity and and a complete lack of computing knowledge.
> Therefore thare are many *idiots* in WinXP General.
>
> However, your ability to pen and communicate will allow you do just
> wade in and take the plunge well.

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 8:07:16 PM

Heather wrote:
> news:o W63HzfuFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
>>From: "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam>
>>
>>| Good Grief!! I just had a look at two XP ng's. New Users hasn't got
>>much
>>| that I might be looking for, but the General one is like a flippin' war
>>| zone!! Darn near as bad as the antivirus ones.
>>|
>>| Any others that are at least civilized? Or should I perhaps *wade in*,
>>lol.
>>| Perhaps I will have a look at another one. Talked to the guys on the
>>OE
>>| one and still sorting this out. Just minor stuff.
>>|
>>| Cheers......Figgs
>>|

>>There are many newbies in XP General and "so called know it alls" who
>>really don't know
>>much. Many in WinmE and Win98 are knowledgable and have used systems for
>>years. There are
>>many in XP General who get new computers with WinXP installed and screw up
>>their computers
>>from sheer stupidity and and a complete lack of computing knowledge.
>>Therefore thare are many *idiots* in WinXP General.
>>
>>However, your ability to pen and communicate will allow you do just wade
>>in and take the
>>plunge well.
>>
>>There are *GOOD* MVPs there so just ignore the jerks like PCBUTTS1,
>>Kurttrail and others.
>>

> You reading my mind?? (VBG) It was those two in particular that were
> really offensive!! I will lurk some more and see how I go.
>
> Cheers......Figgs

Hi Figgs:

I do my lurking in XP Hardware and Basics. Over time, I have saved a
number of posts with good information that I will refer to when I make
the switch. Some of the posters in those groups can be a little off
putting as well but, in general a lot of good advice is to be had.

sced13ri (Who still thinks ME ain't all that bad)
September 15, 2005 8:43:51 PM

> ThGenere are *GOOD* MVPs there so just ignore the jerks like PCBUTTS1,

Is that a new policy, Dave? I took a look at the privacy ng a few days ago.

I would hope you have given up on trying to reason with Butthead. His is the
main murder I'd be willing to do someone else's over here to accomplish!

I think XP General benefits from liberal use of the plonk button - makes it
so much more manageable! There *are* some good mvp's there - though the best
is no more - but there are some godawful one's too! Ugh! (and think what you
like about Kurt, he brings them into range like no-one else can!).

Shane
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 8:43:52 PM

From: "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com>

>> ThGenere are *GOOD* MVPs there so just ignore the jerks like PCBUTTS1,
|
| Is that a new policy, Dave? I took a look at the privacy ng a few days ago.
|
| I would hope you have given up on trying to reason with Butthead. His is the
| main murder I'd be willing to do someone else's over here to accomplish!
|
| I think XP General benefits from liberal use of the plonk button - makes it
| so much more manageable! There *are* some good mvp's there - though the best
| is no more - but there are some godawful one's too! Ugh! (and think what you
| like about Kurt, he brings them into range like no-one else can!).
|
| Shane

My policy hasn't changed. That info was for Figgs. I'd rather NOT discuss the rest - in
public ;-)

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
September 15, 2005 9:06:38 PM

"sced13ri" <sced13ri@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> Heather wrote:
>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>> news:o W63HzfuFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>>There are many newbies in XP General and "so called know it alls" who
>>>really don't know
>>>much. Many in WinmE and Win98 are knowledgable and have used systems for
>>>years. There are
>>>many in XP General who get new computers with WinXP installed and screw
>>>up their computers
>>>from sheer stupidity and and a complete lack of computing knowledge.
>>>Therefore thare are many *idiots* in WinXP General.
>>>
>>>However, your ability to pen and communicate will allow you do just wade
>>>in and take the
>>>plunge well.
>>>
>>>There are *GOOD* MVPs there so just ignore the jerks like PCBUTTS1,
>>>Kurttrail and others.
>>>

>> You reading my mind?? (VBG) It was those two in particular that were
>> really offensive!! I will lurk some more and see how I go.
>>
>> Cheers......Figgs
> Hi Figgs:
>
> I do my lurking in XP Hardware and Basics. Over time, I have saved a
> number of posts with good information that I will refer to when I make the
> switch. Some of the posters in those groups can be a little off putting as
> well but, in general a lot of good advice is to be had.
>
> sced13ri (Who still thinks ME ain't all that bad)

Hi Sced.....

I will have a look at the hardware one. Have New Users and Basics on here I
think. Now....hurry up and bite the bullet. As you have seen, it took me a
long time, grin. But this XP is amazing. No point in saving your money for
your old age......you got there a long time ago....ROFL!!!!

Another Silver Surfer, but Miss Clairol to the rescue!!
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 9:14:35 PM

From: "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam>

| Hi Sced.....
|
| I will have a look at the hardware one. Have New Users and Basics on here I
| think. Now....hurry up and bite the bullet. As you have seen, it took me a
| long time, grin. But this XP is amazing. No point in saving your money for
| your old age......you got there a long time ago....ROFL!!!!
|
| Another Silver Surfer, but Miss Clairol to the rescue!!

Heather:

Just so you know, if you don't like the Windows XP type of desktop and views, you can have
the Start menu and Desktop display in the "traditional Windows" style that you are
accustomed to in WinME. This makes the transition from WinME to WinXP much easier. On my
LAN I set all accounts to default to the traditional view and all were very happy with it.
Only a few experienced WinXP users reverted the WinXP Start menu and desktop style.

I also did this for on father's WinXP PC and he was happy as well.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 10:41:05 PM

Heather wrote:
> "sced13ri" <sced13ri@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Heather wrote:
>>
>>>"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>>>news:o W63HzfuFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

>>>You reading my mind?? (VBG) It was those two in particular that were
>>>really offensive!! I will lurk some more and see how I go.
>>>
>>>Cheers......Figgs
>>
>>Hi Figgs:
>>
>>I do my lurking in XP Hardware and Basics. Over time, I have saved a
>>number of posts with good information that I will refer to when I make the
>>switch. Some of the posters in those groups can be a little off putting as
>>well but, in general a lot of good advice is to be had.
>>
>>sced13ri (Who still thinks ME ain't all that bad)
>

> Hi Sced.....
>
> I will have a look at the hardware one. Have New Users and Basics on here I
> think. Now....hurry up and bite the bullet. As you have seen, it took me a
> long time, grin. But this XP is amazing. No point in saving your money for
> your old age......you got there a long time ago....ROFL!!!!
>
> Another Silver Surfer, but Miss Clairol to the rescue!!

Who, me?? Excuse a minute, pow! pow!, damn dinosaurs are everywhere.
Where were we? Oh yeh, you are right. I have some photos I need to work
on and print for friends who recently got married (favors not fees) and
after that, I will tear down the system and bite that bullet. I just
hope I don't swallow it. <BG>

Good thing I have all the hardware and software I need since todays
heavy rains showed me a couple of leaks in the roof. Looks like old age
or not, my money is headed for a different project than computers. I
guess "that's life" is an appropriate description.

sced :-$
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 12:36:48 AM

As with any NG, it does not take long to determine who the knowledgeable
folks are and even less time to determine those that are "legends in their
own minds." You will fare well, Figgy.......I have no doubt.
Heirloom, old and the Me NG is still the
best

news:o W63HzfuFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> From: "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam>
>
> | Good Grief!! I just had a look at two XP ng's. New Users hasn't got
> much
> | that I might be looking for, but the General one is like a flippin' war
> | zone!! Darn near as bad as the antivirus ones.
> |
> | Any others that are at least civilized? Or should I perhaps *wade in*,
> lol.
> | Perhaps I will have a look at another one. Talked to the guys on the
> OE
> | one and still sorting this out. Just minor stuff.
> |
> | Cheers......Figgs
> |

> There are many newbies in XP General and "so called know it alls" who
> really don't know
> much. Many in WinmE and Win98 are knowledgable and have used systems for
> years. There are
> many in XP General who get new computers with WinXP installed and screw up
> their computers
> from sheer stupidity and and a complete lack of computing knowledge.
> Therefore thare are
> many *idiots* in WinXP General.
>
> However, your ability to pen and communicate will allow you do just wade
> in and take the
> plunge well.
>
> There are *GOOD* MVPs there so just ignore the jerks like PCBUTTS1,
> Kurttrail and others.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

September 16, 2005 2:16:22 AM

That I will, puss. Just have to sort out the wheat from the chaff, or words
to that effect. Sure are a lot of nasties on that General one.

But this group is *home* and always will be. So perhaps we will just have
our daily meetings here, grin.

Off to get this durned spacing sorted out.

> As with any NG, it does not take long to determine who the knowledgeable
> folks are and even less time to determine those that are "legends in their
> own minds." You will fare well, Figgy.......I have no doubt.
> Heirloom, old and the Me NG is still
> the best

> news:o W63HzfuFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> From: "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam>
>>
>> | Good Grief!! I just had a look at two XP ng's. New Users hasn't got
>> much
>> | that I might be looking for, but the General one is like a flippin' war
>> | zone!! Darn near as bad as the antivirus ones.
>> |
>> | Any others that are at least civilized? Or should I perhaps *wade in*,
>> lol.
>> | Perhaps I will have a look at another one. Talked to the guys on the
>> OE
>> | one and still sorting this out. Just minor stuff.
>> |
>> | Cheers......Figgs
>> |

>> There are many newbies in XP General and "so called know it alls" who
>> really don't know
>> much. Many in WinmE and Win98 are knowledgable and have used systems for
>> years. There are
>> many in XP General who get new computers with WinXP installed and screw
>> up their computers
>> from sheer stupidity and and a complete lack of computing knowledge.
>> Therefore thare are
>> many *idiots* in WinXP General.
>>
>> However, your ability to pen and communicate will allow you do just wade
>> in and take the
>> plunge well.
>>
>> There are *GOOD* MVPs there so just ignore the jerks like PCBUTTS1,
>> Kurttrail and others.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:31:54 AM

David,

> Only a few experienced WinXP users reverted the
> WinXP Start menu and desktop style.

Experienced? You jest! Experienced users don't want or need eye candy
and XP's Start, Desktop and Explorer style are nothing more than
unnecessary process consuming eye candy bringing no benefit to the user
and designed for those who have never used a PC previously.

Personally I retain XP's "rounded" silver "XP Style" (rather than Classic)
but within minutes of installing the OS switch Explorer to Details View
and use Classic folders and also change the Start Menu to Classic.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

> Just so you know, if you don't like the Windows XP type of desktop
> and views, you can have the Start menu and Desktop display in the
> "traditional Windows" style that you are accustomed to in WinME.
> This makes the transition from WinME to WinXP much easier. On my LAN
> I set all accounts to default to the traditional view and all were
> very happy with it. Only a few experienced WinXP users reverted the
> WinXP Start menu and desktop style.
>
> I also did this for on father's WinXP PC and he was happy as well.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:31:55 AM

From: "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only>

| David,
|
>> Only a few experienced WinXP users reverted the
>> WinXP Start menu and desktop style.
|
| Experienced? You jest! Experienced users don't want or need eye candy
| and XP's Start, Desktop and Explorer style are nothing more than
| unnecessary process consuming eye candy bringing no benefit to the user
| and designed for those who have never used a PC previously.
|
| Personally I retain XP's "rounded" silver "XP Style" (rather than Classic)
| but within minutes of installing the OS switch Explorer to Details View
| and use Classic folders and also change the Start Menu to Classic.
| --
| Mike Maltby
| mike.maltby@gmail.com

OK -- I'll rephrase that Mike ;-)

Those who have experienced the new WinXP front end and liked it over the classic view ;-)

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:31:55 AM

Wow, Mike.........I really feel great hearing that..........it is exactly
how I have mine set.
Heirloom, old and anything in common
with Mr. Maltby can't be bad

> David,
>
>> Only a few experienced WinXP users reverted the
>> WinXP Start menu and desktop style.
>
> Experienced? You jest! Experienced users don't want or need eye candy
> and XP's Start, Desktop and Explorer style are nothing more than
> unnecessary process consuming eye candy bringing no benefit to the user
> and designed for those who have never used a PC previously.
>
> Personally I retain XP's "rounded" silver "XP Style" (rather than Classic)
> but within minutes of installing the OS switch Explorer to Details View
> and use Classic folders and also change the Start Menu to Classic.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>> Just so you know, if you don't like the Windows XP type of desktop
>> and views, you can have the Start menu and Desktop display in the
>> "traditional Windows" style that you are accustomed to in WinME.
>> This makes the transition from WinME to WinXP much easier. On my LAN
>> I set all accounts to default to the traditional view and all were
>> very happy with it. Only a few experienced WinXP users reverted the
>> WinXP Start menu and desktop style.
>>
>> I also did this for on father's WinXP PC and he was happy as well.

September 16, 2005 2:31:55 AM

(just took a peek at this before sending and it is horribly broken up...not
so on here as I type though.....solutions??)
------------------------------------

Sheesh, you guys!! I didn't know that could be changed, so followed David &
your advice and switched to Classic. Shane's *untick first 10 items* I will
leave for the present. Now it looks like my old computer, (sigh of relief).

Only bugbear at the moment is that in OE the actual content of the message
is in the Arial font, but the folders, contacts and actual messages are in
some other cr*ppy style, rather like a small courier. So far, haven't found
the secret and better go ask Majik and Steve. Plus my posts seems to be
double spaced or some such. But I did make the font bigger and also went to
Western ISO.....I think. (G)

I am never going to get used to this fancy new keyboard......unless I cut my
claws off, grin.

Keep the hints and tips coming.....I am open to all suggestions (within
reason).

Btw....and totally nothing to do with the above. Charles Johnston, the
mental case who was stalking me here and in the AV groups 3 years ago
surfaced just a couple of days ago. I mentioned something about Canada and
he clued in that it was me. I had stopped using my last name and
identifiable email address after that incident. Anyhoo.....as David will
attest, I was quite rude to the damned fool, and no one knew why, lol.
(told him to puss orf) I will not be surprised to see him pop up here now.
He was that Norton fanatic, if you recall. With the website listing all of
his psychiatric meds. Ho hum.

Cheers.....Figgs (and Ron says my new psychedelic case looks like a
Jukebox.....lol, but he likes it)

> David,
>
>> Only a few experienced WinXP users reverted the
>> WinXP Start menu and desktop style.
>
> Experienced? You jest! Experienced users don't want or need eye candy
> and XP's Start, Desktop and Explorer style are nothing more than
> unnecessary process consuming eye candy bringing no benefit to the user
> and designed for those who have never used a PC previously.
>
> Personally I retain XP's "rounded" silver "XP Style" (rather than Classic)
> but within minutes of installing the OS switch Explorer to Details View
> and use Classic folders and also change the Start Menu to Classic.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>> Just so you know, if you don't like the Windows XP type of desktop
>> and views, you can have the Start menu and Desktop display in the
>> "traditional Windows" style that you are accustomed to in WinME.
>> This makes the transition from WinME to WinXP much easier. On my LAN
>> I set all accounts to default to the traditional view and all were
>> very happy with it. Only a few experienced WinXP users reverted the
>> WinXP Start menu and desktop style.
>>
>> I also did this for on father's WinXP PC and he was happy as well.

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 3:30:11 AM

David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

> OK -- I'll rephrase that Mike ;-)
>
> Those who have experienced the new WinXP front end and liked it over
> the classic view ;-)

To which I will respond - what's to like? <g>

However at least users are still free to choose how they want to display
and configure their desktop - something I suspect will in due course
vanish as computers become more and more assimilated into the home leaving
configurability as being something only available to the enterprise.

Cheers,

Mike
September 16, 2005 4:30:07 AM

Mike M wrote:
> David,
>
>> Only a few experienced WinXP users reverted the
>> WinXP Start menu and desktop style.
>
> Experienced? You jest! Experienced users don't want or need eye
> candy and XP's Start, Desktop and Explorer style are nothing more than
> unnecessary process consuming eye candy bringing no benefit to the
> user and designed for those who have never used a PC previously.

I keep the XP Explorer style, collapsing all but the left pane's Details
section, for quick file info on whichever single file I highlight, but
toggle the Folders Explorer Bar and spend most of my time thus, with the old
twin pane Explorer style.

I follow Alex Nichol's recommendation of deselecting the first ten options
in System | Advanced | Performance | Visual Effects.

> Personally I retain XP's "rounded" silver "XP Style" (rather than
> Classic) but within minutes of installing the OS switch Explorer to
> Details View and use Classic folders and also change the Start Menu
> to Classic.

I prefer the Classic Start Menu. I also switch to Classic Search in both
Explorer and IE, and Classic style Control Panel.

One could also use NT4.0's Winfile, of course!

Shane
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 7:09:07 AM

H,

I suspect that all this means is that we are both showing our age. <vbg>

Cheers,
--
Mike

Heirloom <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote:

> Wow, Mike.........I really feel great hearing that..........it is
> exactly how I have mine set.
> Heirloom, old and anything in
> common with Mr. Maltby can't be bad
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 7:33:51 AM

CJ,

That's the guy who signed my old hotmail account up for loads of spam.
Complete ......er
--
Mike

Heather <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> (just took a peek at this before sending and it is horribly broken
> up...not so on here as I type though.....solutions??)
> ------------------------------------
>
> Sheesh, you guys!! I didn't know that could be changed, so followed
> David & your advice and switched to Classic. Shane's *untick first
> 10 items* I will leave for the present. Now it looks like my old
> computer, (sigh of relief).
> Only bugbear at the moment is that in OE the actual content of the
> message is in the Arial font, but the folders, contacts and actual
> messages are in some other cr*ppy style, rather like a small courier.
> So far, haven't found the secret and better go ask Majik and Steve. Plus
> my posts seems to be double spaced or some such. But I did make
> the font bigger and also went to Western ISO.....I think. (G)
>
> I am never going to get used to this fancy new keyboard......unless I
> cut my claws off, grin.
>
> Keep the hints and tips coming.....I am open to all suggestions
> (within reason).
>
> Btw....and totally nothing to do with the above. Charles Johnston,
> the mental case who was stalking me here and in the AV groups 3 years
> ago surfaced just a couple of days ago. I mentioned something about
> Canada and he clued in that it was me. I had stopped using my last
> name and identifiable email address after that incident. Anyhoo.....as
> David will attest, I was quite rude to the damned fool,
> and no one knew why, lol. (told him to puss orf) I will not be
> surprised to see him pop up here now. He was that Norton fanatic, if
> you recall. With the website listing all of his psychiatric meds. Ho
> hum.
> Cheers.....Figgs (and Ron says my new psychedelic case looks like a
> Jukebox.....lol, but he likes it)
September 16, 2005 7:33:52 AM

You too?? He tried that with my old ISP, but he of course denied it.
However, several of the places he signed me up to were more than happy to
tell me the identifying details and they notified his ISP. What a dolt!!

HF
> CJ,
>
> That's the guy who signed my old hotmail account up for loads of spam.
> Complete ......er
> --
> Mike
>

> Heather <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>> (just took a peek at this before sending and it is horribly broken
>> up...not so on here as I type though.....solutions??)
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Sheesh, you guys!! I didn't know that could be changed, so followed
>> David & your advice and switched to Classic. Shane's *untick first
>> 10 items* I will leave for the present. Now it looks like my old
>> computer, (sigh of relief).
>> Only bugbear at the moment is that in OE the actual content of the
>> message is in the Arial font, but the folders, contacts and actual
>> messages are in some other cr*ppy style, rather like a small courier.
>> So far, haven't found the secret and better go ask Majik and Steve. Plus
>> my posts seems to be double spaced or some such. But I did make
>> the font bigger and also went to Western ISO.....I think. (G)
>>
>> I am never going to get used to this fancy new keyboard......unless I
>> cut my claws off, grin.
>>
>> Keep the hints and tips coming.....I am open to all suggestions
>> (within reason).
>>
>> Btw....and totally nothing to do with the above. Charles Johnston,
>> the mental case who was stalking me here and in the AV groups 3 years
>> ago surfaced just a couple of days ago. I mentioned something about
>> Canada and he clued in that it was me. I had stopped using my last
>> name and identifiable email address after that incident. Anyhoo.....as
>> David will attest, I was quite rude to the damned fool,
>> and no one knew why, lol. (told him to puss orf) I will not be
>> surprised to see him pop up here now. He was that Norton fanatic, if
>> you recall. With the website listing all of his psychiatric meds. Ho
>> hum.
>> Cheers.....Figgs (and Ron says my new psychedelic case looks like a
>> Jukebox.....lol, but he likes it)

September 16, 2005 2:30:22 PM

Figgs,

That's an SP2 thing. I don't know if there's an actual cure, but maximising
seems to be the workaround.

Shane

> [...]
>>
>> Personally I retain XP's "rounded" silver "XP Style" (rather than
>> Classic) but within minutes of installing the OS switch Explorer to
>> Details View and use Classic folders and also change the Start Menu
>> to Classic. --
>> Mike Maltby
>> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>>

>> David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>>
>>> Just so you know, if you don't like the Windows XP type of desktop
>>> and views, you can have the Start menu and Desktop display in the
>>> "traditional Windows" style that you are accustomed to in WinME.
>>> This makes the transition from WinME to WinXP much easier. On my
>>> LAN I set all accounts to default to the traditional view and all
>>> were very happy with it. Only a few experienced WinXP users
>>> reverted the WinXP Start menu and desktop style.
>>>
>>> I also did this for on father's WinXP PC and he was happy as well.
September 16, 2005 4:20:41 PM

Ummm....*maximize* what?? See Dick Run explanation please.

Figgs

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Figgs,
>
> That's an SP2 thing. I don't know if there's an actual cure, but
> maximising seems to be the workaround.
>

> Shane
>
>> (just took a peek at this before sending and it is horribly broken
>> up...not so on here as I type though.....solutions??)
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Sheesh, you guys!! I didn't know that could be changed, so followed
>> David & your advice and switched to Classic. Shane's *untick first
>> 10 items* I will leave for the present. Now it looks like my old
>> computer, (sigh of relief).
>> Only bugbear at the moment is that in OE the actual content of the
>> message is in the Arial font, but the folders, contacts and actual
>> messages are in some other cr*ppy style, rather like a small courier.
>> So far, haven't found the secret and better go ask Majik and Steve. Plus
>> my posts seems to be double spaced or some such. But I did make
>> the font bigger and also went to Western ISO.....I think. (G)
>>
>> I am never going to get used to this fancy new keyboard......unless I
>> cut my claws off, grin.
>>
>> Keep the hints and tips coming.....I am open to all suggestions
>> (within reason).
>>
>> Btw....and totally nothing to do with the above. Charles Johnston,
>> the mental case who was stalking me here and in the AV groups 3 years
>> ago surfaced just a couple of days ago. I mentioned something about
>> Canada and he clued in that it was me. I had stopped using my last
>> name and identifiable email address after that incident. Anyhoo.....as
>> David will attest, I was quite rude to the damned fool,
>> and no one knew why, lol. (told him to puss orf) I will not be
>> surprised to see him pop up here now. He was that Norton fanatic, if
>> you recall. With the website listing all of his psychiatric meds. Ho
>> hum.
>> Cheers.....Figgs (and Ron says my new psychedelic case looks like a
>> Jukebox.....lol, but he likes it)
>>

>> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
>>> David,

>>> Experienced? You jest! Experienced users don't want or need eye
>>> candy and XP's Start, Desktop and Explorer style are nothing more
>>> than unnecessary process consuming eye candy bringing no benefit to
>>> the user and designed for those who have never used a PC previously.
>>>
>>> Personally I retain XP's "rounded" silver "XP Style" (rather than
>>> Classic) but within minutes of installing the OS switch Explorer to
>>> Details View and use Classic folders and also change the Start Menu
>>> to Classic. --
>>> Mike Maltby
>>> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 7:17:23 PM

<lol> I go there at least once a day to see what's going on tried to help
a couple of times have a chat with Silj <g> don't get chance to offer any
help in here now as it's so quiet lately but it will always be *home* <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:
>I am a member of Aumha, but don't go there much. Only if I have a
> problem, which means I may never have to go there with this computer,
> lol.
> Heather
September 16, 2005 9:46:44 PM

The window you're typing in, Figgs. And the one you're reading in. You
know - hit the *Maximise* button, or Alt + x. If reading in the Preview
Pane, close the Folders Bar. Works for me!

Shane

Heather wrote:
> Ummm....*maximize* what?? See Dick Run explanation please.
>
> Figgs
>
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Figgs,
>>
>> That's an SP2 thing. I don't know if there's an actual cure, but
>> maximising seems to be the workaround.
>>

>> Shane
>>
>>> (just took a peek at this before sending and it is horribly broken
>>> up...not so on here as I type though.....solutions??)
>>> ------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Sheesh, you guys!! I didn't know that could be changed, so followed
>>> David & your advice and switched to Classic. Shane's *untick first
>>> 10 items* I will leave for the present. Now it looks like my old
>>> computer, (sigh of relief).
>>> Only bugbear at the moment is that in OE the actual content of the
>>> message is in the Arial font, but the folders, contacts and actual
>>> messages are in some other cr*ppy style, rather like a small
>>> courier. So far, haven't found the secret and better go ask Majik
>>> and Steve. Plus my posts seems to be double spaced or some such.
>>> But I did make
>>> the font bigger and also went to Western ISO.....I think. (G)
>>>
>>> I am never going to get used to this fancy new keyboard......unless
>>> I cut my claws off, grin.
>>>
>>> Keep the hints and tips coming.....I am open to all suggestions
>>> (within reason).
>>>
>>> Btw....and totally nothing to do with the above. Charles Johnston,
>>> the mental case who was stalking me here and in the AV groups 3
>>> years ago surfaced just a couple of days ago. I mentioned
>>> something about Canada and he clued in that it was me. I had
>>> stopped using my last name and identifiable email address after
>>> that incident. Anyhoo.....as David will attest, I was quite rude to
>>> the damned fool,
>>> and no one knew why, lol. (told him to puss orf) I will not be
>>> surprised to see him pop up here now. He was that Norton fanatic, if
>>> you recall. With the website listing all of his psychiatric meds.
>>> Ho hum.
>>> Cheers.....Figgs (and Ron says my new psychedelic case looks like a
>>> Jukebox.....lol, but he likes it)
>>>

>>> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

September 17, 2005 1:52:25 AM

Shoot, just saw this. Old Broad, my sweet patootie!! I think you are
pretty close to my age, Old Phart!!

> No need, I've seen the Turbo XBlade.........pretty funky stuff for an old
> broad......<g>.
> Heirloom, old and much tamer
>
> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>> Yo Loon........of course I will still be 'grazing' here.....can't leave
>> all the good folks we have been with for 4.5 years!! And hopefully I
>> will still be able to keep WinME working, but that ground lightning hit
>> did more than I thought and it is really complaining. The name on the
>> front is "XBlade" and the cardboard box says "Turbo Case:...generic Asian
>> one I guess. I will find a link and show it to you. I got the card
>> reader floppy drive, as well. Not quite sure what all I have on here.
>> Willy being a man of few words, grin. Didn't get a router or the jump
>> drive as of yet. But all of my other computer is backed up and I just
>> transfer stuff over from CD's.
>>
>> Think the XP groups are ready for me? LOL!!
>>
>> XX Figgs
>>
>> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>>> Yay, Figglet! You realize, of course, that even with XP SP2, you still
>>> need to 'graze' here. Your case sounds like the one I have......is it
>>> an Antec Lanboy??
>>> Heirloom, old and the world is about to
>>> change
>>>

>>> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message

September 17, 2005 1:36:39 PM

Calamity Figgs and Wild Bill Heirloom <vbg>.

Shane

Heather wrote:
> Shoot, just saw this. Old Broad, my sweet patootie!! I think you are
> pretty close to my age, Old Phart!!
>
> XX Figgs
> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>> No need, I've seen the Turbo XBlade.........pretty funky stuff for
>> an old broad......<g>.
>> Heirloom, old and much tamer
>>
>> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>>> Yo Loon........of course I will still be 'grazing' here.....can't
>>> leave all the good folks we have been with for 4.5 years!! And
>>> hopefully I will still be able to keep WinME working, but that
>>> ground lightning hit did more than I thought and it is really
>>> complaining. The name on the front is "XBlade" and the cardboard
>>> box says "Turbo Case:...generic Asian one I guess. I will find a
>>> link and show it to you. I got the card reader floppy drive, as
>>> well. Not quite sure what all I have on here. Willy being a man of
>>> few words, grin. Didn't get a router or the jump drive as of yet.
>>> But all of my other computer is backed up and I just transfer stuff
>>> over from CD's. Think the XP groups are ready for me? LOL!!
>>>
>>> XX Figgs
>>>
>>> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 3:04:35 PM

ROFL
Wonder what the horses will think <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> Calamity Figgs and Wild Bill Heirloom <vbg>.
>

> Shane

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 4:00:52 PM

....and then moved out......