Can't make IDE HDD "visible" as Master - stays as slave: S..

Hi

I have a Seagate ST39140A which I have been using as a slave drive.
I want to move this drive to another PC and make it a bootable master
drive.

I have changed the HDD jumper between the master/slave/cable select
positions several times. I have placed the drive on the IDE0 and IDE1
channel. In all positions and jumper settings the drive is only
recognised as a SLAVE - hence I cannot make it a bootable drive.

How do I make this drive MASTER?

Thanks

Clive

In article <2b77647f.0504202333.2fe1dd50@posting.google.com>, Clive
Long,UK says...
> Hi
>
> I have a Seagate ST39140A which I have been using as a slave drive.
> I want to move this drive to another PC and make it a bootable master
> drive.
>
> I have changed the HDD jumper between the master/slave/cable select
> positions several times. I have placed the drive on the IDE0 and IDE1
> channel. In all positions and jumper settings the drive is only
> recognised as a SLAVE - hence I cannot make it a bootable drive.
>
> How do I make this drive MASTER?

Make sure its jumpered as master and on the black connector of the IDE
cable.

As well as that, it doesn't matter a rats arse whether its primary,
secondary, master or slave to be bootable. All you have to do is make
the actual bootable PARTITION active.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

> Make sure its jumpered as master and on the black connector of the IDE
> cable.

Yep, did all that

> As well as that, it doesn't matter a rats arse whether its primary,
> secondary, master or slave to be bootable. All you have to do is make
> the actual bootable PARTITION active.

Well blow me! I never knew that. It works!

You have saved me a lot of time and heart-ache. Thank-you

Clive