Internal drive listed as "Removable Disk"

Hello again Good Folk

My primary slave drive (D) is having its parameters misquoted in My Computer
and Windows Explorer. It's identical to my primary master (an80 GB Samsung
which is listed correctly)--is the same age, and was installed at the same
time. Right after the computer was assembled this past March, I noticed D's
capacity was being misreported as 50-some-odd GB--a problem resolved by
reformatting it; but now, since I've had a new motherboard installed, D
appears as a "removable disk" and neither "total size" nor "free space"
figures are shown.

Both of the other hard drives in my computer (D's twin C, and E--an old
8GB Maxtor which is set up as a secondary slave) have grayed-out Windows
files (ffastun.ffa, ffastun.ffl, ffastun.ffo, ffastun0.ffx) on them that
have always been missing from D--and I'm wondering if the omission is
relative.

The drive functions okay but is slow like a USB external and isn't listed in
the default "search" offering and other places where I'd sure like to
see it (ie, there's no other info for it in System Information beyond
"removable disk"). I've run this glitch by my tech and he just scratched
his head! Is there some way I can fix this?

Calamity Carol
3 answers Last reply
More about internal drive listed removable disk

    Carol,

    Open the Device Manager, locate the drive, open its Properties sheet.
    Open the Settings tab and uncheck the box "Removable". Reboot. Does this
    change "stick"?

    ffastun.ffa, ffastun.ffl, ffastun.ffo, ffastun0.ffx

    These files are there as a result of having Microsoft's Find Fast
    installed and enabled probably as part of Office 97 or maybe 2000. If not
    required, disable Fast Find and delete the files. For more details of
    Fast Find see MS KB166302 - "OFF97: Overview of Find Fast Indexer" -
    (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=166302).
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    caroloyl <caroloyl@gmail-expungethis.com> wrote:

    > Hello again Good Folk
    >
    > My primary slave drive (D) is having its parameters misquoted in My
    > Computer and Windows Explorer. It's identical to my primary master
    > (an80 GB Samsung which is listed correctly)--is the same age, and was
    > installed at the same time. Right after the computer was assembled
    > this past March, I noticed D's capacity was being misreported as
    > 50-some-odd GB--a problem resolved by reformatting it; but now, since
    > I've had a new motherboard installed, D appears as a "removable disk"
    > and neither "total size" nor "free space" figures are shown.
    >
    > Both of the other hard drives in my computer (D's twin C, and E--an
    > old 8GB Maxtor which is set up as a secondary slave) have grayed-out
    > Windows files (ffastun.ffa, ffastun.ffl, ffastun.ffo, ffastun0.ffx)
    > on them that have always been missing from D--and I'm wondering if
    > the omission is relative.
    >
    > The drive functions okay but is slow like a USB external and isn't
    > listed in the default "search" offering and other places where I'd
    > sure like to
    > see it (ie, there's no other info for it in System Information beyond
    > "removable disk"). I've run this glitch by my tech and he just
    > scratched his head! Is there some way I can fix this?
    >
    > Calamity Carol

    If Office 2k, watch out for mdm.exe. IE can call it up, or it may be
    running in the background all the time.
    If you have a whole mess of 0 byte files in the windows folder, yep, you got
    the bug.

    > Carol,
    >
    > Open the Device Manager, locate the drive, open its Properties sheet.
    > Open the Settings tab and uncheck the box "Removable". Reboot. Does this
    > change "stick"?
    >
    > ffastun.ffa, ffastun.ffl, ffastun.ffo, ffastun0.ffx
    >
    > These files are there as a result of having Microsoft's Find Fast
    > installed and enabled probably as part of Office 97 or maybe 2000. If not
    > required, disable Fast Find and delete the files. For more details of
    > Fast Find see MS KB166302 - "OFF97: Overview of Find Fast Indexer" -
    > (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=166302).
    > --
    > Mike Maltby
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > caroloyl <caroloyl@gmail-expungethis.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello again Good Folk
    > >
    > > My primary slave drive (D) is having its parameters misquoted in My
    > > Computer and Windows Explorer. It's identical to my primary master
    > > (an80 GB Samsung which is listed correctly)--is the same age, and was
    > > installed at the same time. Right after the computer was assembled
    > > this past March, I noticed D's capacity was being misreported as
    > > 50-some-odd GB--a problem resolved by reformatting it; but now, since
    > > I've had a new motherboard installed, D appears as a "removable disk"
    > > and neither "total size" nor "free space" figures are shown.
    > >
    > > Both of the other hard drives in my computer (D's twin C, and E--an
    > > old 8GB Maxtor which is set up as a secondary slave) have grayed-out
    > > Windows files (ffastun.ffa, ffastun.ffl, ffastun.ffo, ffastun0.ffx)
    > > on them that have always been missing from D--and I'm wondering if
    > > the omission is relative.
    > >
    > > The drive functions okay but is slow like a USB external and isn't
    > > listed in the default "search" offering and other places where I'd
    > > sure like to
    > > see it (ie, there's no other info for it in System Information beyond
    > > "removable disk"). I've run this glitch by my tech and he just
    > > scratched his head! Is there some way I can fix this?
    > >
    > > Calamity Carol

    Hi Mike, Dave,

    Thanks muchly for the info!

    I use Word 97 and disabled its "Fast Find" (with msconfig I believe)
    immediately after I installed it. I guess it missed laying down its "ff"
    files on D because the drive was empty at the time? Anyway, I'll be happy
    to get them off the other drives :-)

    I unchecked "removable" in the D drive's properties and it's now a "local
    disk" sporting and holding its original name, info, and icon in Win Ex and
    My Computer :-)) Its Settings tab still does not match those for the C and
    E drives though: something called "Int 13 unit" has an active check next to
    it , while both other drives have that checked but grayed out. Is there
    anything I need to do about that?

    carol

Removable Disk Windows