Have lost RESTORE capability - Also Help and Support - WINME

I am unable to establish a restore point or restore to an earlier check
point in WIN ME. Also I am unable to access Help and Support.

Have a five year old Dell 4100 series PC with PIII 800mghz processor, 30G
HD, 128mg RAM, and running WIN ME.

I use Firefox and Thunderbird but use Outlook Express for NG's. Also run
Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware regularly.

Recently installed programs - Zone Alarm (Free version), AVG Antivirus (Free
version), Adaptec USB 2.0 board.
Recently uninstalled program Symantec NIS 2002 w/ NAV.

Noticed that when accessing Help that the hourglass would hang up everytime,
so I closed and got the message--
"The application is busy Do you want to abort anyway Y/N?" Answered yes
and application closed. So I thought about restoring to
an earlier check point to see if H&S would come back. During the restore
operation a black screen appeared with some verbiage
(sorry I didn't write it down) to the effect that Norton files were out of
date for NAV. Proceeded ahead and the H&S worked. Then
for some unfathmoble reason I undid the previous restore to the latest one
and the Restore function nor the H&S hasn't worked since.

I put in a startup diskette and typed scanreg /restore to see available
points and all five indicated "Started" , thinking none of these would
be of any use I then used the Method 3 of the MS Article ID 303354 and
renamed the _RESTORE directory oldrest. This also did no
good and the Restore function now says "Unable to establish a restore
point - please restart your computer etc." Otherwise everything
seems to work OK.

Any help for a better approach to this problem will be appreciated. I am
beginning to empathize with Brer Rabbit.
4 answers Last reply
More about have lost restore capability support winme

    Scanreg /restore and system restore have nothing to do with each other
    other than that both contain the word "restore". In this case deleting
    the _RESTORE folder has cleared your system of system restore checkpoints
    however the backed up copies of the registry used by scanreg (when used
    with the /restore switch) are still available as these are the rb0?,cab
    files in the windows\sysbckup folder.

    "Unable to establish a restore point - please restart your computer etc."

    First check that you don't have a wininit.ini file in your Windows folder.
    If you do, rename this to wininit.old and retry System Restore. If this
    works then you possibly have a program that creates a wininit.ini file
    each time you boot your system. One known example is tgcmd.exe, another
    is a program called "ACCESS DENIED". If you have tgcmd.exe I understand
    that disabling it in MSConfig | Startup will have no adverse effect on
    your system but enable you to use System Restore. Likewise ACCESS DENIED
    needs to be "switched off" whilst using SR to either create or restore to
    a previous checkpoint. McAfee's Spam Killer also seems to create a new
    wininit.ini file each time the system is booted likewise CCleaner if in
    "clean at boot" mode. See also MS KB 274092 - "Error Message: System
    Restore Cannot Run Until You Restart the Computer"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=274092).

    If this isn't the reason for your problem then try running
    SCANREG /FIX
    from a command prompt such as Start | Run. Note that the system will
    re-boot so don't have any applications open when doing this. I suggest
    this because the same message is also displayed when the registry has been
    corrupted in some way. scanreg /fix attempts to repair that damage.

    Note however that the use of Norton AntiVirus is incompatible with the use
    of system restore (in fact with Win Me but that's another story) due to
    Symantec choosing to store details of the current reference signatures in
    the registry, information that is lost if the system is rolled back to a
    checkpoint crated before the last NAV signature update. A problem that is
    typically unique to NAV.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    elfego34 <elfego34@elmundo.com> wrote:

    > I am unable to establish a restore point or restore to an earlier
    > check point in WIN ME. Also I am unable to access Help and Support.
    >
    > Have a five year old Dell 4100 series PC with PIII 800mghz processor,
    > 30G HD, 128mg RAM, and running WIN ME.
    >
    > I use Firefox and Thunderbird but use Outlook Express for NG's. Also
    > run Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware regularly.
    >
    > Recently installed programs - Zone Alarm (Free version), AVG
    > Antivirus (Free version), Adaptec USB 2.0 board.
    > Recently uninstalled program Symantec NIS 2002 w/ NAV.
    >
    > Noticed that when accessing Help that the hourglass would hang up
    > everytime, so I closed and got the message--
    > "The application is busy Do you want to abort anyway Y/N?" Answered
    > yes and application closed. So I thought about restoring to
    > an earlier check point to see if H&S would come back. During the
    > restore operation a black screen appeared with some verbiage
    > (sorry I didn't write it down) to the effect that Norton files were
    > out of date for NAV. Proceeded ahead and the H&S worked. Then
    > for some unfathmoble reason I undid the previous restore to the
    > latest one and the Restore function nor the H&S hasn't worked since.
    >
    > I put in a startup diskette and typed scanreg /restore to see
    > available points and all five indicated "Started" , thinking none of
    > these would
    > be of any use I then used the Method 3 of the MS Article ID 303354 and
    > renamed the _RESTORE directory oldrest. This also did no
    > good and the Restore function now says "Unable to establish a restore
    > point - please restart your computer etc." Otherwise everything
    > seems to work OK.
    >
    > Any help for a better approach to this problem will be appreciated.
    > I am beginning to empathize with Brer Rabbit.

    Mike,
    Unfortunately neither remedy was successful. I did not have a wininit.ini
    file in Windows. A search found no tgcmd.exe or ACCESS DENIED. I tried
    SCANREG /FIX from Start | Run and then went to System Restore. The same box
    still pops up after I try to create a restore point. The message reads
    "System Restore is not able to create a restore point. Please restart the
    computer and then run system restore again."

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 04:00:23 GMT, "elfego34" <elfego34@elmundo.com>
    wrote:

    >I am unable to establish a restore point or restore to an earlier check
    >point in WIN ME. Also I am unable to access Help and Support.

    If you havenr resolved this yet you might also want to read
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303354

    Be sure the disable system restore box in My Computer >Properties >
    Performace> File System> Troubleshooting is UNchecked.
    Try accessing H&S by typing msinfo32 in the run box OR start
    SR by clicking Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools>
    System Restore.
    Hope this helps

    -- Keyboard not detected
    Press F1 to continue

    Thanks Fastlane for the additional suggestions. I was able to get System
    Restore and my Help and Support working again. I ran Scanreg /Fix as Mike
    Maltby suggested but did not see any immediate relief. I believe it did
    enable the following steps to get the programs working again.

    My earlier attempt at a System Restore had completely screwed up that
    program and reversed the MS Update which put KB891711.exe in my Start Up (to
    counter the UPnP security breach by a worm). Another NG thread suggesting I
    check Belarc Advisor pointed out the faulty update. When I went to MS
    Update again it prompted me to install msxmlxxx.msi before I could do the
    update. I installed that program and when I checked my Help and Support
    program was working.

    However, my System Restore was still inoperable, so I went to My Computer
    >Properties >
    > Performance> File System> Troubleshooting and checked the Disable System
    Restore box. After a reboot I went back and unchecked the box. After a
    reboot I checked my System Restore and it had reset and was working!!!! It
    is hard to stifle a screaming "Eureka" at 12:30 midnight.

    I give all credit to the contributors to the MS public NG's. This is the
    third time I have resolved a problem by reading the relevant threads. Many
    thanks.

    "TheRealFastlane" <fastlane@viawest.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 04:00:23 GMT, "elfego34" <elfego34@elmundo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I am unable to establish a restore point or restore to an earlier check
    > >point in WIN ME. Also I am unable to access Help and Support.
    >

    > If you havenr resolved this yet you might also want to read
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303354
    >
    > Be sure the disable system restore box in My Computer >Properties >
    > Performace> File System> Troubleshooting is UNchecked.
    > Try accessing H&S by typing msinfo32 in the run box OR start
    > SR by clicking Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools>
    > System Restore.
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > -- Keyboard not detected
    > Press F1 to continue