dell axim x30 wifi?

August 20, 2004 1:11:02 PM

hi all,

im considering buying a dell axim x30 with wifi...it stated on their website
that the wi-fi is: integrated 802.11b. i know there are different type of
wi-fi like: 802.11a, b,c or g...right? what im getting at...for certain
public places which give free wi-fi connection like the parks, or star buck
or airport fee-based wi-fi...what type of wi-fi are they using...if they use
different type of wi-fi, can i still use the dell x30 (802.11b) to connect to
that type?

anyone who has dell x30 with wi-fi...how do you guy like it? it's worth it?
how is the connection? thanx in advance

More about : dell axim x30 wifi

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 4:07:01 PM

In message <37B2808E-30E1-4D7C-871C-51AF3E4927AE@microsoft.com>,
=?Utf-8?B?c2VhZm9vZDEw?= <seafood10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> im considering buying a dell axim x30 with wifi...it stated on their website
> that the wi-fi is: integrated 802.11b. i know there are different type
of
> wi-fi like: 802.11a, b,c or g...right? what im getting at...for certain
> public places which give free wi-fi connection like the parks, or star buck
> or airport fee-based wi-fi...what type of wi-fi are they using...if they
use
> different type of wi-fi, can i still use the dell x30 (802.11b) to connect
> that type?
>
> anyone who has dell x30 with wi-fi...how do you guy like it? it's worth
it?
> how is the connection? thanx in advance

The Axim X30 is 802.11b as is every public hotspot I know of so you should
have no problems connecting. I have found the X30 to have excellent range
compared to other PDAs with integrated WiFi. For the price I do not think
anyone can compete with the X30 and I have been very happy with the quality.

palmsolo

-Posted from my MDA II via the T-Moble network.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 10:12:21 PM

I've got an X3i. It's the same module as the X30 (only the processor
and ROM OS was updated really). The X3i connects fine to pretty much
everything, because pretty much everybody in the public arena has
fallback for 802.11b (11mbps).

As far as I've seen the vast majority of Access Points support 802.11b
as well as 802.11g so you will *probably* be just fine. I connected in
Minneapolis Airport to their concourse Wifi, and while at the Sheraton
in Seattle, to a wide range of overspills from peoples in-room AP's if
that's any guide.

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:11:02 -0700, seafood10
<seafood10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>hi all,
>
>im considering buying a dell axim x30 with wifi...it stated on their website
>that the wi-fi is: integrated 802.11b. i know there are different type of
>wi-fi like: 802.11a, b,c or g...right? what im getting at...for certain
>public places which give free wi-fi connection like the parks, or star buck
>or airport fee-based wi-fi...what type of wi-fi are they using...if they use
>different type of wi-fi, can i still use the dell x30 (802.11b) to connect to
>that type?
>
>anyone who has dell x30 with wi-fi...how do you guy like it? it's worth it?
> how is the connection? thanx in advance
August 21, 2004 2:12:40 AM

I just purchased the Axim X30 (64mb 612mhz) because I read a lot of
positive reviews on it! I haven't yet received it...but everything I
have heard so far is good!

:)  Kristin

seafood10 wrote:
> hi all,
>
> im considering buying a dell axim x30 with wifi...it stated on their website
> that the wi-fi is: integrated 802.11b. i know there are different type of
> wi-fi like: 802.11a, b,c or g...right? what im getting at...for certain
> public places which give free wi-fi connection like the parks, or star buck
> or airport fee-based wi-fi...what type of wi-fi are they using...if they use
> different type of wi-fi, can i still use the dell x30 (802.11b) to connect to
> that type?
>
> anyone who has dell x30 with wi-fi...how do you guy like it? it's worth it?
> how is the connection? thanx in advance
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 3:46:04 PM

In article <37B2808E-30E1-4D7C-871C-51AF3E4927AE@microsoft.com>,
seafood10 <seafood10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> im considering buying a dell axim x30 with wifi...it stated on their website
> that the wi-fi is: integrated 802.11b. i know there are different type of
> wi-fi like: 802.11a, b,c or g...right? what im getting at...for certain
> public places which give free wi-fi connection like the parks, or star buck
> or airport fee-based wi-fi...what type of wi-fi are they using...if they use
> different type of wi-fi, can i still use the dell x30 (802.11b) to connect to
> that type?
>
> anyone who has dell x30 with wi-fi...how do you guy like it? it's worth it?
> how is the connection? thanx in advance

I've had my x30 for about a month now and I LOVE IT. This is after 6+
years with Palm OS devices.

The wifi works beautifully. I have a T-Mobile hotspot account so I can
check my mail and look at websites from most Starbucks and Borders.
Plus there have been times that it has picked up an open connection
and it works just fine. I only find that I sometimes have to turn
wireless on and off if I'm moving between connections. Not a big deal.

The best part of the Dell is that you get a lot for the price. I'm
generally pleased with PocketPC applications, since many of them have
desktop components. For example, I have "PDA Cookbook" so I can enter
recipes on the desktop where it's easier to type and then bring my PDA
into the kitchen to follow along when I want to cook.

--
http://www.momathome.com/
If you want to reply to me, please go to my website and find the email link

Generally no problems with the Wifi with the Axim X30. latest rom updates
include the Odyssey client and, on one occasion, I needed to disable it
since it seemed to cut across the built in WiFi.

"seafood10" <seafood10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> im considering buying a dell axim x30 with wifi...it stated on their
> website
> that the wi-fi is: integrated 802.11b. i know there are different type of
> wi-fi like: 802.11a, b,c or g...right? what im getting at...for certain
> public places which give free wi-fi connection like the parks, or star
> buck
> or airport fee-based wi-fi...what type of wi-fi are they using...if they
> use
> different type of wi-fi, can i still use the dell x30 (802.11b) to connect
> that type?
>
> anyone who has dell x30 with wi-fi...how do you guy like it? it's worth
> it?
> how is the connection? thanx in advance
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:29:39 AM

I have a Dell Axim X30. I love it it is a great machine. I have used
it to access the internet at home via Wireless B router and at
Starbucks (which is not free by the way - T-Mobile $9.00 a day) and at
Barnes and noble (comset 100) The wiFi works well and have had no
problems at all. It is fast and, most Arm applications posted here
work well with it. I strongly recommend you get the 1800 Battery as
the 950 is a bit underpowered for long time wireless use. (if you do
....dont get the Rhino aluminium case cause it wont fit in it with the
large battery in place - i wasted $39 there). as for "is it Worth it"
....$314 for a base unit ...HELL YEAH. Fastest and most powerful Pocket
PC available at the moment.

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:00:10 +1000, "BillR [MVP]"
<BillR@removethisbitMVPS.org> wrote:

>Generally no problems with the Wifi with the Axim X30. latest rom updates
>include the Odyssey client and, on one occasion, I needed to disable it
>since it seemed to cut across the built in WiFi.
>

>"seafood10" <seafood10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> hi all,
>>
>> im considering buying a dell axim x30 with wifi...it stated on their
>> website
>> that the wi-fi is: integrated 802.11b. i know there are different type of
>> wi-fi like: 802.11a, b,c or g...right? what im getting at...for certain
>> public places which give free wi-fi connection like the parks, or star
>> buck
>> or airport fee-based wi-fi...what type of wi-fi are they using...if they
>> use
>> different type of wi-fi, can i still use the dell x30 (802.11b) to connect
>> that type?
>>
>> anyone who has dell x30 with wi-fi...how do you guy like it? it's worth
>> it?
>> how is the connection? thanx in advance

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 9:12:43 PM

Do yo know if the High Capacity Battery will fit a Belkin Case?

Thanks

Wiki
<not@fromme.com> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Axim X30. I love it it is a great machine. I have used
> it to access the internet at home via Wireless B router and at
> Starbucks (which is not free by the way - T-Mobile $9.00 a day) and at
> Barnes and noble (comset 100) The wiFi works well and have had no
> problems at all. It is fast and, most Arm applications posted here
> work well with it. I strongly recommend you get the 1800 Battery as
> the 950 is a bit underpowered for long time wireless use. (if you do
> ...dont get the Rhino aluminium case cause it wont fit in it with the
> large battery in place - i wasted $39 there). as for "is it Worth it"
> ...$314 for a base unit ...HELL YEAH. Fastest and most powerful Pocket
> PC available at the moment.
>
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:00:10 +1000, "BillR [MVP]"
> <BillR@removethisbitMVPS.org> wrote:
>
> >Generally no problems with the Wifi with the Axim X30. latest rom updates
> >include the Odyssey client and, on one occasion, I needed to disable it
> >since it seemed to cut across the built in WiFi.
> >

> >"seafood10" <seafood10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> hi all,
> >>
> >> im considering buying a dell axim x30 with wifi...it stated on their
> >> website
> >> that the wi-fi is: integrated 802.11b. i know there are different type
of
> >> wi-fi like: 802.11a, b,c or g...right? what im getting at...for
certain
> >> public places which give free wi-fi connection like the parks, or star
> >> buck
> >> or airport fee-based wi-fi...what type of wi-fi are they using...if
they
> >> use
> >> different type of wi-fi, can i still use the dell x30 (802.11b) to
connect
> >> that type?
> >>
> >> anyone who has dell x30 with wi-fi...how do you guy like it? it's
worth
> >> it?
> >> how is the connection? thanx in advance

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 2:20:59 PM

anyone know why the grapics don't show when I go online on my Axin 30 ?

"Sergio Pons" <spons_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Do yo know if the High Capacity Battery will fit a Belkin Case?
>
> Thanks
>
> Wiki
> <not@fromme.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell Axim X30. I love it it is a great machine. I have used
> > it to access the internet at home via Wireless B router and at
> > Starbucks (which is not free by the way - T-Mobile $9.00 a day) and at
> > Barnes and noble (comset 100) The wiFi works well and have had no
> > problems at all. It is fast and, most Arm applications posted here
> > work well with it. I strongly recommend you get the 1800 Battery as
> > the 950 is a bit underpowered for long time wireless use. (if you do
> > ...dont get the Rhino aluminium case cause it wont fit in it with the
> > large battery in place - i wasted $39 there). as for "is it Worth it"
> > ...$314 for a base unit ...HELL YEAH. Fastest and most powerful Pocket
> > PC available at the moment.
> >
> > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:00:10 +1000, "BillR [MVP]"
> > <BillR@removethisbitMVPS.org> wrote:
> >
> > >Generally no problems with the Wifi with the Axim X30. latest rom
updates
> > >include the Odyssey client and, on one occasion, I needed to disable it
> > >since it seemed to cut across the built in WiFi.
> > >

> > >"seafood10" <seafood10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> of
> certain
> they
> connect

> worth

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 8:04:21 PM

Sure - have you turned off 'Show Images' on the View menu of Pocket IE
? That would reproduce your symptoms.

Cheers - Neil

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:20:59 -0400, "r mccreery"
<rmccreery@verdin.com> wrote:

>anyone know why the grapics don't show when I go online on my Axin 30 ?
>
>"Sergio Pons" <spons_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Do yo know if the High Capacity Battery will fit a Belkin Case?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Wiki
>> <not@fromme.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a Dell Axim X30. I love it it is a great machine. I have used
>> > it to access the internet at home via Wireless B router and at
>> > Starbucks (which is not free by the way - T-Mobile $9.00 a day) and at
>> > Barnes and noble (comset 100) The wiFi works well and have had no
>> > problems at all. It is fast and, most Arm applications posted here
>> > work well with it. I strongly recommend you get the 1800 Battery as
>> > the 950 is a bit underpowered for long time wireless use. (if you do
>> > ...dont get the Rhino aluminium case cause it wont fit in it with the
>> > large battery in place - i wasted $39 there). as for "is it Worth it"
>> > ...$314 for a base unit ...HELL YEAH. Fastest and most powerful Pocket
>> > PC available at the moment.

>updates

>type
>> of
>> certain
>star
>> they
>> connect

>> worth

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 10:52:37 PM

My axim with the xtended battery doesnt fit my Rhino Case...so not
sure of the belkin case.

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:04:21 GMT, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]"
<neil@nospam.com> wrote:

>Sure - have you turned off 'Show Images' on the View menu of Pocket IE
>? That would reproduce your symptoms.
>
>Cheers - Neil
>
>On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:20:59 -0400, "r mccreery"
><rmccreery@verdin.com> wrote:
>
>>anyone know why the grapics don't show when I go online on my Axin 30 ?
>>
>>"Sergio Pons" <spons_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Do yo know if the High Capacity Battery will fit a Belkin Case?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Wiki
>>> <not@fromme.com> wrote in message

>>updates

>>type
>>> of
>>> certain
>>star
>>> they
>>> connect

>>> worth

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 2:57:23 PM

Right, and this is related to the topic of this discussion how ?

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:52:37 -0400, not@fromme.com wrote:

>My axim with the xtended battery doesnt fit my Rhino Case...so not
>sure of the belkin case.
>

>On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:04:21 GMT, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]"
><neil@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Sure - have you turned off 'Show Images' on the View menu of Pocket IE
>>? That would reproduce your symptoms.
>>
>>Cheers - Neil
>>
>>On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:20:59 -0400, "r mccreery"
>><rmccreery@verdin.com> wrote:
>>
>>>anyone know why the grapics don't show when I go online on my Axin 30 ?
>>>
>>>"Sergio Pons" <spons_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>updates

>>>type
>>>star

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 3:17:56 PM

Because the question was asked, one post above the question about pictures.
And why was it asked? Because it not fitting in the Rhino Skin case was an
aside comment in the discussion of X30 WiFi, relative to the benefit of an
extended battery when using WiFi. So the picture question was actually a
bit more off topic than the case question for X30 WiFi.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Right, and this is related to the topic of this discussion how ?
>
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:52:37 -0400, not@fromme.com wrote:
>
> >My axim with the xtended battery doesnt fit my Rhino Case...so not
> >sure of the belkin case.
> >

> >On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:04:21 GMT, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]"
> ><neil@nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Sure - have you turned off 'Show Images' on the View menu of Pocket IE
> >>? That would reproduce your symptoms.
> >>
> >>Cheers - Neil

Pocket

it's

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 2:26:21 AM

OK got it now, I was going from the subject title ;-)
I think both my brain and my newsreader are having a bad day.

Cheers - Neil

!