SpyBot Definitions Update 16/09/05

<http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=15858>

Regards,
Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

"siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
> <http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=15858>
>
> Regards,
> Silj
>
> --
> siljaline
>
> MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
> Security Tools Updates
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
>
> (Reply to group, as return address
> is invalid - that we may all benefit)

getting an awful lot of CRC errors using the internal download mechanism. I
reckon I'm not alone...

Shane

As usual, I get "No newer updates available". I appear to have discovered
the reason. Updates are made available to N. America before the UK. The US
mirrors are disabled in my Online.ini - despite my re-enabling them -
whenever I do "Search for Updates". The European and Oz mirrors do not have
today's yet.

The disabling appears to be done remotely. Online.ini besides the update log
is the only file I have containing 'Malwarebytes'.

If I uninstall Spybot and clean out the registry, then re-install it, then
update, detections dated 09/09/2005 are available, but none later.

Whether Europe's getting stuffed, just the UK, or only me, I've had enough
with updating problems and am about to uninstall Spybot S&D. Kolla could
probably guess where he's welcome to shove it.

Shane

siljaline wrote:
> <http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=15858>
>
> Regards,
> Silj

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Hi Puss.....

I stopped using Spybot a long time ago!! And I am not about to put it on
this new computer. Trying to scan took forever and I didn't find it all
that stable anyway.

My best download sites in Canada are usually Europe or Australia. I work on
the theory that when I downloaded, those countries were probably in the
middle of the night, grin. Woman's logic.....that'll get you everywhere!!

XX Figgs

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> As usual, I get "No newer updates available". I appear to have discovered
> the reason. Updates are made available to N. America before the UK. The US
> mirrors are disabled in my Online.ini - despite my re-enabling them -
> whenever I do "Search for Updates". The European and Oz mirrors do not
> have
> today's yet.
>
> The disabling appears to be done remotely. Online.ini besides the update
> log
> is the only file I have containing 'Malwarebytes'.
>
> If I uninstall Spybot and clean out the registry, then re-install it, then
> update, detections dated 09/09/2005 are available, but none later.
>
> Whether Europe's getting stuffed, just the UK, or only me, I've had enough
> with updating problems and am about to uninstall Spybot S&D. Kolla could
> probably guess where he's welcome to shove it.
>

> Shane
>

> siljaline wrote:
>> <http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=15858>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Silj

Alias

"ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> <http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=15858>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Silj
>>
>> --
>> siljaline
>>
>> MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
>> Security Tools Updates
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
>>
>> (Reply to group, as return address
>> is invalid - that we may all benefit)
>>

> getting an awful lot of CRC errors using the internal download mechanism.
> reckon I'm not alone...

I had no problem. Try a different server.

Alias

Shane

As I don't get spyware, I don't need Spybot, really, do I. It's gone!

xx

Shane

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi Puss.....
>
> I stopped using Spybot a long time ago!! And I am not about to put it on
> this new computer. Trying to scan took forever and I didn't find it all
> that stable anyway.
>
> My best download sites in Canada are usually Europe or Australia. I work
on
> the theory that when I downloaded, those countries were probably in the
> middle of the night, grin. Woman's logic.....that'll get you everywhere!!
>
> XX Figgs
>
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > As usual, I get "No newer updates available". I appear to have
discovered
> > the reason. Updates are made available to N. America before the UK. The
US
> > mirrors are disabled in my Online.ini - despite my re-enabling them -
> > whenever I do "Search for Updates". The European and Oz mirrors do not
> > have
> > today's yet.
> >
> > The disabling appears to be done remotely. Online.ini besides the update
> > log
> > is the only file I have containing 'Malwarebytes'.
> >
> > If I uninstall Spybot and clean out the registry, then re-install it,
then
> > update, detections dated 09/09/2005 are available, but none later.
> >
> > Whether Europe's getting stuffed, just the UK, or only me, I've had
enough
> > with updating problems and am about to uninstall Spybot S&D. Kolla could
> > probably guess where he's welcome to shove it.
> >

> > Shane
> >

> > siljaline wrote:
> >> <http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=15858>
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Silj

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Exactly!! I use AdAware, SpywareBlaster and FireFox. I don't get it
either. Before I put all of the above on this new computer, I had two
pieces of spyware from IE in 1 day. (the usual Directclick was one)

XX Heather

> As I don't get spyware, I don't need Spybot, really, do I. It's gone!
>

> xx
>
> Shane
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>> Hi Puss.....
>>
>> I stopped using Spybot a long time ago!! And I am not about to put it on
>> this new computer. Trying to scan took forever and I didn't find it all
>> that stable anyway.
>>
>> My best download sites in Canada are usually Europe or Australia. I work
> on
>> the theory that when I downloaded, those countries were probably in the
>> middle of the night, grin. Woman's logic.....that'll get you
>> everywhere!!
>>
>> XX Figgs
>>
>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > As usual, I get "No newer updates available". I appear to have
> discovered
>> > the reason. Updates are made available to N. America before the UK. The
> US
>> > mirrors are disabled in my Online.ini - despite my re-enabling them -
>> > whenever I do "Search for Updates". The European and Oz mirrors do not
>> > have
>> > today's yet.
>> >
>> > The disabling appears to be done remotely. Online.ini besides the
>> > update
>> > log
>> > is the only file I have containing 'Malwarebytes'.
>> >
>> > If I uninstall Spybot and clean out the registry, then re-install it,
> then
>> > update, detections dated 09/09/2005 are available, but none later.
>> >
>> > Whether Europe's getting stuffed, just the UK, or only me, I've had
> enough
>> > with updating problems and am about to uninstall Spybot S&D. Kolla
>> > could
>> > probably guess where he's welcome to shove it.
>> >

>> > Shane

Alias

I always download them from a USA site. You have a choice in the Spybot
interface as to which server you download from and I, like you, have had bad
experiences trying to download from any of the European sites.

Alias

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote

> As usual, I get "No newer updates available". I appear to have discovered
> the reason. Updates are made available to N. America before the UK. The US
> mirrors are disabled in my Online.ini - despite my re-enabling them -
> whenever I do "Search for Updates". The European and Oz mirrors do not
> have
> today's yet.
>
> The disabling appears to be done remotely. Online.ini besides the update
> log
> is the only file I have containing 'Malwarebytes'.
>
> If I uninstall Spybot and clean out the registry, then re-install it, then
> update, detections dated 09/09/2005 are available, but none later.
>
> Whether Europe's getting stuffed, just the UK, or only me, I've had enough
> with updating problems and am about to uninstall Spybot S&D. Kolla could
> probably guess where he's welcome to shove it.
>

> Shane
>

> siljaline wrote:
>> <http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=15858>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Silj

Shane

Alias wrote:
> I always download them from a USA site. You have a choice in the
> Spybot interface as to which server you download from and I, like
> you, have had bad experiences trying to download from any of the
> European sites.

Yes, that's what I used to do. But now the US sites are disabled in
Online.ini and if I re-enable them, the very act of running the GUI updater,
disables them again.

Shane

> Alias
>
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> As usual, I get "No newer updates available". I appear to have
>> discovered the reason. Updates are made available to N. America
>> before the UK. The US mirrors are disabled in my Online.ini -
>> despite my re-enabling them - whenever I do "Search for Updates".
>> The European and Oz mirrors do not have
>> today's yet.
>>
>> The disabling appears to be done remotely. Online.ini besides the
>> update log
>> is the only file I have containing 'Malwarebytes'.
>>
>> If I uninstall Spybot and clean out the registry, then re-install
>> it, then update, detections dated 09/09/2005 are available, but none
>> later. Whether Europe's getting stuffed, just the UK, or only me, I've
>> had
>> enough with updating problems and am about to uninstall Spybot S&D.
>> Kolla could probably guess where he's welcome to shove it.
>>

>> Shane
>>

>> siljaline wrote:
>>> <http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=15858>
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Silj

Shane

Spoke too soon. It puts the list of US servers back in the GUI but doesn't
actually try them.

> It just occurred to me to set Online.ini read-only, and that appears to
> work.
>

> Shane

Shane

http://www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini to see what I mean.
This is the file downloaded every time, that updates Online.ini if *not*
marked read-only.

This is obviously an attempt to ease pressure on the US servers. Screw
Kolla.

> Spoke too soon. It puts the list of US servers back in the GUI but doesn't
> actually try them.
>
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > It just occurred to me to set Online.ini read-only, and that appears to
> > work.
> >

> > Shane

Alias

Weird. I never had that problem.

Alias

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote

> Spoke too soon. It puts the list of US servers back in the GUI but doesn't
> actually try them.
>
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> It just occurred to me to set Online.ini read-only, and that appears to
>> work.
>>

>> Shane

Shane

You're in the UK too?

Shane

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> Weird. I never had that problem.
>
> Alias
>
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote
>
> > Spoke too soon. It puts the list of US servers back in the GUI but
doesn't
> > actually try them.
> >
> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> It just occurred to me to set Online.ini read-only, and that appears to
> >> work.
> >>

> >> Shane

Alias

No, Spain.

Alias

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote

> You're in the UK too?
>
> Shane
>
> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote

>> Weird. I never had that problem.
>>
>> Alias
>>
>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote
>>
>> > Spoke too soon. It puts the list of US servers back in the GUI but
> doesn't
>> > actually try them.
>> >
>> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

Alias

I use CWShredder, Spybot, AdAware, Spywareblaster, Spywareguard, Bazooka
and, with the exception of Windows Update, Firefox. I never have a problem.

Alias

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote

> Exactly!! I use AdAware, SpywareBlaster and FireFox. I don't get it
> either. Before I put all of the above on this new computer, I had two
> pieces of spyware from IE in 1 day. (the usual Directclick was one)
>
> XX Heather
>
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> As I don't get spyware, I don't need Spybot, really, do I. It's gone!
>>

>> xx
>>
>> Shane
>>

>> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>>> Hi Puss.....
>>>
>>> I stopped using Spybot a long time ago!! And I am not about to put it
>>> on
>>> this new computer. Trying to scan took forever and I didn't find it all
>>> that stable anyway.
>>>
>>> My best download sites in Canada are usually Europe or Australia. I
>>> work
>> on
>>> the theory that when I downloaded, those countries were probably in the
>>> middle of the night, grin. Woman's logic.....that'll get you
>>> everywhere!!
>>>
>>> XX Figgs
>>>
>>> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> discovered
>> US

>> then

>> enough

I don't use Spybot either Heather just Ad-aware, SpywareBlaster, NOD32 and
ZAPro oh and Mailwasher, never have any problems as such here so I'm happy
<g>
Joan

Heather wrote:
> Hi Puss.....
>
> I stopped using Spybot a long time ago!! And I am not about to put
> it on this new computer. Trying to scan took forever and I didn't
> find it all that stable anyway.
>
> My best download sites in Canada are usually Europe or Australia. I
> work on the theory that when I downloaded, those countries were
> probably in the middle of the night, grin. Woman's logic.....that'll
> get you everywhere!!
> XX Figgs

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Glad to hear that Joan. I think some folks overdo the malware prevention
bit (are you listening, Loon???), grin.

SAFE HEX is a large part of the answer.....

Got most of my stuff hooked up. Geez, this takes a long time!! Moments of
panic when I have to remember where in this mess of an office I have my
serial numbers.....I usually keep all that in a book for handy reference,
but can't find the book at the moment!!

Cheers. Heather

"Joan Archer" wrote:
>I don't use Spybot either Heather just Ad-aware, SpywareBlaster, NOD32 and ZAPro oh
>and Mailwasher, never have any problems as such here so I'm happy

NOD32, Joan, Hooray for you!
I've been running it now for about three months, love it.
Smallest fingerprint on your O/S you'll find in an A-V.

I ditched SpyBot off my laptop today when it wouldn't un-immunize and re-immunize,
that was the last straw.

Silj

--

> "Joan Archer" wrote:
>>I don't use Spybot either Heather just Ad-aware, SpywareBlaster, NOD32 and
>>ZAPro oh and Mailwasher, never have any problems as such here so I'm happy
>
> NOD32, Joan, Hooray for you!
> I've been running it now for about three months, love it.
> Smallest fingerprint on your O/S you'll find in an A-V.
>
> I ditched SpyBot off my laptop today when it wouldn't un-immunize and
> re-immunize, that was the last straw.

Goodonya, Silj. I was getting rather fed up with that immunize snafu
myself, and on WinME the scan time would have been horrendous. I usually
cut it off at 15% or so. Not about to wait for it.

Nod is good. In fact, it may be the next one I go to. The freebie version
I have of EZ Trust is NOT good at all. And I have used this for some 5 or 6
years. I have had to uninstall and reinstall it on both this new machine
and WinME in the last 2 weeks.....many times. It won't update and tells me
it is Error #3.....and basically it is trying to download 3,000 kb.....not
just an update.

Back to adding stuff on here. This is one heck of a looooonnnnnnggggg job,
grin. I shoulda been writing stuff down as I go. Sigh!!

Cheers......Figgs

Silj:

Definitions updated successfully and "No immediate threats were found"
either.
No reason to complain at this end, barring the partial immunization issue.
<FIPO>
Thanks.

Harry.

"webster72n" wrote:

> Silj:
>
> Definitions updated successfully and "No immediate threats were found"
> either.
> No reason to complain at this end, barring the partial immunization issue.
> <FIPO>

[FIPO], Harry - meaning? ...

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

FIPO = for informational purpose only.
Should have added that, I suppose.

Harry.

Heather wrote :-

> I have to remember where .... I have my serial numbers.....I usually
> keep all that in a book for handy reference, but can't find the book at
> the moment!!

> ....Didn't know I would get one side partly translucent with
> neon lights tho.

You could keep them on your PC - should be easy enough to find, even in the
dark!!

Mart

> Glad to hear that Joan. I think some folks overdo the malware prevention
> bit (are you listening, Loon???), grin.
>
> SAFE HEX is a large part of the answer.....
>
> Got most of my stuff hooked up. Geez, this takes a long time!! Moments
> of panic when I have to remember where in this mess of an office I have my
> serial numbers.....I usually keep all that in a book for handy reference,
> but can't find the book at the moment!!
>
> Cheers. Heather
> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>I don't use Spybot either Heather just Ad-aware, SpywareBlaster, NOD32 and
>>ZAPro oh and Mailwasher, never have any problems as such here so I'm happy
>><g>
>> Joan
>>

>> Heather wrote:
>>> Hi Puss.....
>>>
>>> I stopped using Spybot a long time ago!! And I am not about to put
>>> it on this new computer. Trying to scan took forever and I didn't
>>> find it all that stable anyway.
>>>
>>> My best download sites in Canada are usually Europe or Australia. I
>>> work on the theory that when I downloaded, those countries were
>>> probably in the middle of the night, grin. Woman's logic.....that'll
>>> get you everywhere!!
>>> XX Figgs

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Heather wrote :-
>
>> I have to remember where .... I have my serial numbers.....I usually
>> keep all that in a book for handy reference, but can't find the book at
>> the moment!!
>
>> ....Didn't know I would get one side partly translucent with
>> neon lights tho.
>
> You could keep them on your PC - should be easy enough to find, even in
> the dark!!

ROFL!! Trust you to come up with that, lol. I should try turning off the
lights and see how it goes in the glow of the Disco Ball. I am not into
naming inanimate objects, but I think this case definitely deserves a name,
lol.

Cheers.....Figgs