JohnS

of 1.4 gig/min ( very very high ) ...... Talked to another
guru at Intel. He says "no way hyper-threading is
responsible for this benchmark" DR DOS is not hyperT
aware. It has to be the ddr2 ram. His explanation I did
not completely understand. Basically he said that even
though any ram is much faster than the image benchmark
of 1.4 gig/min, there is the problem of "latency" along
the way with other pieces of hardware. The big war going
on now in all the recent developments .. hyper-thread,
hyper-transport .... is to solve the external hardware
latency that bottlenecks data transfer ... esp large amounts
of data going to video cards and hard drives. You can
buy a hot-dog system, that will stall bigtime in certain
apps, and run like mad in others. I use the game Far
Cry as a benchmark for any new systems that come my
way. My AMD64s / ATI 9800 Pro , run FC very well.
However, I have discovered that certain services in
those systems will cause stuttering and limited AI in that
game. Those are "services" installed by web sales types
pushing pop-ups, etc, and I eleminate them to make
the game run in top form. On the Dells, Far Cry will not
even start. The integrated video is not enough. I have a
Dell 4700 / nvidia 6800 coming in. I'll benchmark that
to see if indeed the AMD64 is still king of the hill in
overall performance. The AMD64s answer to hyper-
threading will be dual core processors. For those of
you who want to get past the stupid know-it-alls, I
have two pretty good "intuitive" benchmarks ...
PowerQuest Disk Image 2002, and the first Far Cry
demo. DI will give an honest appraisal of "latency"
in your hardware, and Far Cry will certainly test your
video quality and drivers. I have other benchmark
programs, but frankly I find them to be nerdy and
give little, if any, useful information ... with the possible
exception of 3DMark2002, but that is just a video test
of raw speed and badly dated. The new 3DMks are
meaningless unless you have a bunch of systems to
bench against. I have 1200. The problem of latency
as of right now, has not been solved very well. You
can pay a lot of money for nothing based on benchmarks
and hype from the know-it-alls. There are plenty of
fast components, but they don't link up well .. yet.

johns

PS: here's a good link about PCI-express:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1087&page=1

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:08:45 -0700, "johns"
<johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote:

>of 1.4 gig/min ( very very high ) ...... Talked to another
>guru at Intel. He says "no way hyper-threading is
>responsible for this benchmark" DR DOS is not hyperT
>aware. It has to be the ddr2 ram. His explanation I did
>not completely understand. Basically he said that even
>though any ram is much faster than the image benchmark
>of 1.4 gig/min, there is the problem of "latency" along
>the way with other pieces of hardware. The big war going
>on now in all the recent developments .. hyper-thread,
>hyper-transport .... is to solve the external hardware
>latency that bottlenecks data transfer ... esp large amounts
>of data going to video cards and hard drives. You can
>buy a hot-dog system, that will stall bigtime in certain
>apps, and run like mad in others. I use the game Far
>Cry as a benchmark for any new systems that come my
>way. My AMD64s / ATI 9800 Pro , run FC very well.
>However, I have discovered that certain services in
>those systems will cause stuttering and limited AI in that
>game. Those are "services" installed by web sales types
>pushing pop-ups, etc, and I eleminate them to make
>the game run in top form. On the Dells, Far Cry will not
>even start. The integrated video is not enough. I have a
>Dell 4700 / nvidia 6800 coming in. I'll benchmark that
>to see if indeed the AMD64 is still king of the hill in
>overall performance. The AMD64s answer to hyper-
>threading will be dual core processors. For those of
>you who want to get past the stupid know-it-alls, I
>have two pretty good "intuitive" benchmarks ...
>PowerQuest Disk Image 2002, and the first Far Cry
>demo. DI will give an honest appraisal of "latency"
>in your hardware, and Far Cry will certainly test your
>video quality and drivers. I have other benchmark
>programs, but frankly I find them to be nerdy and
>give little, if any, useful information ... with the possible
>exception of 3DMark2002, but that is just a video test
>of raw speed and badly dated. The new 3DMks are
>meaningless unless you have a bunch of systems to
>bench against. I have 1200. The problem of latency
>as of right now, has not been solved very well. You
>can pay a lot of money for nothing based on benchmarks
>and hype from the know-it-alls. There are plenty of
>fast components, but they don't link up well .. yet.
>
>johns

pps: Sorry for sounding grouchy, I feel bad, didn't mean to be.