More about group

    From: "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam>

    | How about we call it something like......
    |
    | WinME Transition for those Upgrading to WinXP??
    |
    | But I am sure one of you can come up with a better one. Or we could take
    | one of the little used ME ones, and change it to the above.
    |
    | I feel way more comfortable on here asking questions......amongst friends
    | and all that stuff. But forget now what I was going to ask. Oh yes....and
    | not sure if I will get an answer on this.
    |
    | Will F-Prot for DOS work on XP?? I have used that as a manual AV backup for
    | 9 years. I could write Fridric Skulason and see, I suppose. Or ask on the
    | AV groups. But it looks like it doesn't according to the Frisk website.
    |
    | One more to go (ACDSee for my camera).....will leave the scanner till last
    | coz it is touchy as hell.
    |
    | Cheers.....Heather

    Hi Figgs:

    F-Prot for DOS will be very limited. Becuase it was maents for DOS it will have problems
    dealing with very long file names and deep folders..

    If you are looking for a "On Demand" scanner to be used on WinME use my too, the Multi AV
    scanning tool.

    It provides the Trend Sysclean utility and Command Line scanners from Sophos and McAfee.
    None of which have to pre-exist on the PC. The utility will automatically download the
    needed components and perform the scan for you. It will also keep their respective engine
    and signature files up to date.

    I think Willy will also find this tool advantageous.

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
    remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    It'll work much better on FAT32 than on NTFS, though if you're on NTFS it's
    too late.

    Shane

    Heather wrote:
    > How about we call it something like......
    >
    > WinME Transition for those Upgrading to WinXP??
    >
    > But I am sure one of you can come up with a better one. Or we could
    > take one of the little used ME ones, and change it to the above.
    >
    > I feel way more comfortable on here asking questions......amongst
    > friends and all that stuff. But forget now what I was going to ask. Oh
    > yes....and not sure if I will get an answer on this.
    >
    > Will F-Prot for DOS work on XP?? I have used that as a manual AV
    > backup for 9 years. I could write Fridric Skulason and see, I
    > suppose. Or ask on the AV groups. But it looks like it doesn't
    > according to the Frisk website.
    > One more to go (ACDSee for my camera).....will leave the scanner till
    > last coz it is touchy as hell.
    >
    > Cheers.....Heather

    Don't upgrade, do a clean install of the OS, is what I typically do. 3rd
    party software will be new installed. There is no chance of a registry or
    driver transition problem as a result. A clean install can be had with an
    upgrade CD, just show it the ME CD when asks for a qualifying product.

    Hardware, you should check the mfrs website.
    Older 3rd party software may not be indicated, touch and go. Newer stuff is
    usually indicated what OS it will work on at the mfrs website.

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
    > How about we call it something like......
    >
    > WinME Transition for those Upgrading to WinXP??
    >
    > But I am sure one of you can come up with a better one. Or we could take
    > one of the little used ME ones, and change it to the above.
    >
    > I feel way more comfortable on here asking questions......amongst friends
    > and all that stuff. But forget now what I was going to ask. Oh
    yes....and
    > not sure if I will get an answer on this.
    >
    > Will F-Prot for DOS work on XP?? I have used that as a manual AV backup
    for
    > 9 years. I could write Fridric Skulason and see, I suppose. Or ask on
    the
    > AV groups. But it looks like it doesn't according to the Frisk website.
    >
    > One more to go (ACDSee for my camera).....will leave the scanner till last
    > coz it is touchy as hell.
    >
    > Cheers.....Heather

    Of course, this is a new machine, but I did mean a clean install. However,
    will an OEM ME CD work? I forget now. And loading all the programs and
    tweaking them all is a royal PITA!!!!

    I keep thinking about Noel having to reinstall all of his a year or two ago.
    Btw.....where is that little critter??

    Cheers, Figgs

    Heather wrote:
    > Of course, this is a new machine, but I did mean a clean install.
    > However, will an OEM ME CD work? I forget now. And loading all the
    > programs and tweaking them all is a royal PITA!!!!

    Probably not. Mine didn't, despite having the cabs readily accessible. Some
    message about not finding the EULA. Haven't you got a Win 98 cd? That will
    probably work, OEM or not.

    Shane

    Will work if its a buy with hardware OEM. Brand name PC OEMs, not sure
    about as they're written differently than the standard install versions. A
    full install XP CD doesn't care, but costs a bit more.
    If you have a name brand PC, you might check their support site for updated
    drivers for XP. Some even sell an overpriced upgrade XP CD with the drivers
    included. You have to be careful here, some PC brands have hardware that
    even bloated XP driver package has no driver for.

    > Of course, this is a new machine, but I did mean a clean install.
    However,
    > will an OEM ME CD work? I forget now. And loading all the programs and
    > tweaking them all is a royal PITA!!!!
    >
    > I keep thinking about Noel having to reinstall all of his a year or two
    ago.
    > Btw.....where is that little critter??
    >
    > Cheers, Figgs
    >
    > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    > > Don't upgrade, do a clean install of the OS, is what I typically do.
    3rd
    > > party software will be new installed. There is no chance of a registry
    or
    > > driver transition problem as a result. A clean install can be had with
    an
    > > upgrade CD, just show it the ME CD when asks for a qualifying product.
    > >
    > > Hardware, you should check the mfrs website.
    > > Older 3rd party software may not be indicated, touch and go. Newer
    stuff
    > > is
    > > usually indicated what OS it will work on at the mfrs website.
    > >
    > > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
    > >> How about we call it something like......
    > >>
    > >> WinME Transition for those Upgrading to WinXP??
    > >>
    > >> But I am sure one of you can come up with a better one. Or we could
    take
    > >> one of the little used ME ones, and change it to the above.
    > >>
    > >> I feel way more comfortable on here asking questions......amongst
    friends
    > >> and all that stuff. But forget now what I was going to ask. Oh
    > > yes....and
    > >> not sure if I will get an answer on this.
    > >>
    > >> Will F-Prot for DOS work on XP?? I have used that as a manual AV
    backup
    > > for
    > >> 9 years. I could write Fridric Skulason and see, I suppose. Or ask on
    > > the
    > >> AV groups. But it looks like it doesn't according to the Frisk
    website.

    > >> One more to go (ACDSee for my camera).....will leave the scanner till
    > >> last
    > >> coz it is touchy as hell.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers.....Heather

Windows