"lexplore has caused error in kernel32.dll"

On a Win ME system, when I start Internet Explorer, I get a message
"lexplore has caused error in kernel32.dll", and Internel Explorer shuts
down. I tried the following:

-Updated IE to IE6 Update 1. Problem persists.
-Ran SpyBot S&D and AVG Anti-Virus, both with latest definitions. Found and
removed viruses. Problem persists.
-Tried searching for lexplore - can't find it.

My impresession is that lexplore is a virus, but I'm not sure, and I can't
find it
or remove it. Am I right? Is there a way to get rid of it?

Also, I want to do a Windows Update on the system, but can't do so because
Internet Explorer isn't working. Is there a way to do a Windows Update
*without*
using Internet explorer (I have other Windows ME systems that are working).
16 answers Last reply
More about lexplore caused error kernel32

    Gus:

    What version of Internet Explorer are you using?
    If it is ver. 5.5 try upgrading to IE 6.

    Harry.

    "Gus Zernial" <gus_zernial@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On a Win ME system, when I start Internet Explorer, I get a message
    > "lexplore has caused error in kernel32.dll", and Internel Explorer shuts
    > down. I tried the following:
    >
    > -Updated IE to IE6 Update 1. Problem persists.
    > -Ran SpyBot S&D and AVG Anti-Virus, both with latest definitions. Found
    and
    > removed viruses. Problem persists.
    > -Tried searching for lexplore - can't find it.
    >
    > My impresession is that lexplore is a virus, but I'm not sure, and I can't
    > find it
    > or remove it. Am I right? Is there a way to get rid of it?
    >
    > Also, I want to do a Windows Update on the system, but can't do so because
    > Internet Explorer isn't working. Is there a way to do a Windows Update
    > *without*
    > using Internet explorer (I have other Windows ME systems that are
    working).

    Gus:

    For some strange reason I overlooked your first statement.
    Please, ignore my reply.
    Thank you.

    Harry.

    > Gus:
    >
    > What version of Internet Explorer are you using?
    > If it is ver. 5.5 try upgrading to IE 6.
    >
    > Harry.
    >
    > "Gus Zernial" <gus_zernial@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > On a Win ME system, when I start Internet Explorer, I get a message
    > > "lexplore has caused error in kernel32.dll", and Internel Explorer shuts
    > > down. I tried the following:
    > >
    > > -Updated IE to IE6 Update 1. Problem persists.
    > > -Ran SpyBot S&D and AVG Anti-Virus, both with latest definitions. Found
    > and
    > > removed viruses. Problem persists.
    > > -Tried searching for lexplore - can't find it.
    > >
    > > My impresession is that lexplore is a virus, but I'm not sure, and I
    can't
    > > find it
    > > or remove it. Am I right? Is there a way to get rid of it?
    > >
    > > Also, I want to do a Windows Update on the system, but can't do so
    because
    > > Internet Explorer isn't working. Is there a way to do a Windows Update
    > > *without*
    > > using Internet explorer (I have other Windows ME systems that are
    > working).

    Gus
    Iexplore is (or should be) Internet Explorer.
    There's a good chance that your system is still infested with malware....

    download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    viruses are not present on your PC
    http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp

    - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

    download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    your system.

    See if that helps - then run a repair of IE from Add/Remove programs while
    in Safe Mode...
    Reboot to Safe Mode
    Go to Add/Remove Programs and try a repair of Internet Explorer from there.
    Go to the entry for 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools'
    in Add/Remove Programs
    Click on Remove - and click on Repair on the window that pops up
    Reboot on request to Normal Mode

    If the above entry isn't there, you first need to uninstall all the patches
    applied, then do the repair, then reapply the patches
    The patches are listed in Add/Remove under the names 'Internet Explorer
    Qxxxxxx'
    highlight, click Remove - reboot if requested.
    Repeat until the MSIE6SP1 entry appears - then repair as above.

    HTH

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Gus Zernial" <gus_zernial@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On a Win ME system, when I start Internet Explorer, I get a message
    > "lexplore has caused error in kernel32.dll", and Internel Explorer shuts
    > down. I tried the following:
    >
    > -Updated IE to IE6 Update 1. Problem persists.
    > -Ran SpyBot S&D and AVG Anti-Virus, both with latest definitions. Found
    > and
    > removed viruses. Problem persists.
    > -Tried searching for lexplore - can't find it.
    >
    > My impresession is that lexplore is a virus, but I'm not sure, and I can't
    > find it
    > or remove it. Am I right? Is there a way to get rid of it?
    >
    > Also, I want to do a Windows Update on the system, but can't do so because
    > Internet Explorer isn't working. Is there a way to do a Windows Update
    > *without*
    > using Internet explorer (I have other Windows ME systems that are
    > working).

    Noel, I'm not sure if you were alluding to this in your line :-

    > Iexplore is (or should be) Internet Explorer.

    But Gus appears too have been looking for "Lexplore" rather than "iEXPLORE"
    which may explain why he can't find it. If you cut and paste *his* version
    of "lexplore" into notepad (and change the font if necessary), you'll see
    what I mean.

    Mart

    > Gus
    > Iexplore is (or should be) Internet Explorer.
    > There's a good chance that your system is still infested with malware....
    >

    > download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    > viruses are not present on your PC
    > http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp
    >
    > - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
    >
    > download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    > update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    > your system.
    >
    > See if that helps - then run a repair of IE from Add/Remove programs while
    > in Safe Mode...
    > Reboot to Safe Mode
    > Go to Add/Remove Programs and try a repair of Internet Explorer from
    > there.
    > Go to the entry for 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools'
    > in Add/Remove Programs
    > Click on Remove - and click on Repair on the window that pops up
    > Reboot on request to Normal Mode
    >
    > If the above entry isn't there, you first need to uninstall all the
    > patches
    > applied, then do the repair, then reapply the patches
    > The patches are listed in Add/Remove under the names 'Internet Explorer
    > Qxxxxxx'
    > highlight, click Remove - reboot if requested.
    > Repeat until the MSIE6SP1 entry appears - then repair as above.
    >
    > HTH
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Gus Zernial" <gus_zernial@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On a Win ME system, when I start Internet Explorer, I get a message
    >> "lexplore has caused error in kernel32.dll", and Internel Explorer shuts
    >> down. I tried the following:
    >>
    >> -Updated IE to IE6 Update 1. Problem persists.
    >> -Ran SpyBot S&D and AVG Anti-Virus, both with latest definitions. Found
    >> and
    >> removed viruses. Problem persists.
    >> -Tried searching for lexplore - can't find it.
    >>
    >> My impresession is that lexplore is a virus, but I'm not sure, and I
    >> can't find it
    >> or remove it. Am I right? Is there a way to get rid of it?
    >>
    >> Also, I want to do a Windows Update on the system, but can't do so
    >> because
    >> Internet Explorer isn't working. Is there a way to do a Windows Update
    >> *without*
    >> using Internet explorer (I have other Windows ME systems that are
    >> working).

    Ah - thanks, Mart! (not enough caffeine, yet<g>)

    From: "Gus Zernial" <gus_zernial@yahoo.com>

    | On a Win ME system, when I start Internet Explorer, I get a message
    | "lexplore has caused error in kernel32.dll", and Internel Explorer shuts
    | down. I tried the following:
    |
    | -Updated IE to IE6 Update 1. Problem persists.
    | -Ran SpyBot S&D and AVG Anti-Virus, both with latest definitions. Found and
    | removed viruses. Problem persists.
    | -Tried searching for lexplore - can't find it.
    |
    | My impresession is that lexplore is a virus, but I'm not sure, and I can't
    | find it
    | or remove it. Am I right? Is there a way to get rid of it?
    |
    | Also, I want to do a Windows Update on the system, but can't do so because
    | Internet Explorer isn't working. Is there a way to do a Windows Update
    | *without*
    | using Internet explorer (I have other Windows ME systems that are working).

    You must use IE for Windows Update. There is no other way around it unless you know the
    exact update and download a EXE version of the file. Assuming you can get it with FireFox
    or Opera.

    It very well be an infector or an infector chained into Internet Explorer.

    Do a search on the PC for; iexplore.exe. If you find C:\WINDOWS\system32\iexplore .exe
    then it could be a Backdoor Trojan
    BackDoor-AQO -- http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100093.htm

    If you only find "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" That's good.

    However, it still could be non-viral malware.

    For non-viral malware...

    Please download, install and update the following software...

    Ad-aware SE v1.06
    http://www.lavasoft.de/
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.4
    http://security.kolla.de/

    After the software is updated, I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode.

    For viral malware...

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
    remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    > From: "Gus Zernial" <gus_zernial@yahoo.com>
    >
    > | Also, I want to do a Windows Update on the system, but can't do so
    > because
    > | Internet Explorer isn't working. Is there a way to do a Windows Update
    > | *without* | using Internet explorer (I have other Windows ME systems
    > that are working).
    > |

    > You must use IE for Windows Update. There is no other way around it
    > unless you know the exact update and download a EXE version of the file.
    > Assuming you can get it with FireFox or Opera.

    Hi Dave.......

    I use Firefox and you can't go to Windows Update with it, of course. But I
    have never tried downloading a specific fix or patch with it. Perhaps I
    will give it a try.

    And thanks, btw. Heather

    When in doubt you can try http://www.microsoft.com/downloads and see if the
    file you need is available there. I believe that the Microsoft Downloads
    site is browser-independent, any browser will work.

    From: "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com>

    | When in doubt you can try http://www.microsoft.com/downloads and see if the
    | file you need is available there. I believe that the Microsoft Downloads
    | site is browser-independent, any browser will work.
    |
    | --
    | Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    | * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    | * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    | * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    | * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Some you can only find via the Knowledge Base and that's where I have seen problems with
    FireFox.

    --

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com>
    >
    >> When in doubt you can try http://www.microsoft.com/downloads and see
    >> if the file you need is available there. I believe that the
    >> Microsoft Downloads site is browser-independent, any browser will
    >> work.
    >>
    >> --
    >> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    >> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    >>

    > Some you can only find via the Knowledge Base and that's where I have
    > seen problems with FireFox.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

    The main problem is that 9x-specific updates tend to be 'only available from
    Windows Update' these days.

    Up to Nov '03: http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/fixlistme.htm and
    there haven't been that many since. I must update that page.

    Shane

    From: "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com>

    | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx
    |
    | The main problem is that 9x-specific updates tend to be 'only available from
    | Windows Update' these days.
    |
    | Up to Nov '03: http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/fixlistme.htm and
    | there haven't been that many since. I must update that page.
    |
    | Shane

    Really ?

    I just found this in the Knowledge Base

    Critical Update for Microsoft Data Access Components -
    Disable ADODB.Stream object from Internet Explorer - Win9x (KB870669
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fe2a5b1c-ff30-40a0-8e70-c9f1f4dcd8c2&displaylang=en

    --

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com>
    >

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx
    >>
    >> The main problem is that 9x-specific updates tend to be 'only
    >> available from Windows Update' these days.
    >>
    >> Up to Nov '03:
    >> http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/fixlistme.htm and there
    >> haven't been that many since. I must update that page.
    >>
    >> Shane
    >>

    > Really ?
    >
    > I just found this in the Knowledge Base
    >
    > Critical Update for Microsoft Data Access Components -
    > Disable ADODB.Stream object from Internet Explorer - Win9x (KB870669
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fe2a5b1c-ff30-40a0-8e70-c9f1f4dcd8c2&displaylang=en

    Dave,

    I get the impression you didn't really read what I said. Otherwise I don't
    get the point.

    Shane

    From: "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com>

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> From: "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com>
    >>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx
    >>>
    >>> The main problem is that 9x-specific updates tend to be 'only
    >>> available from Windows Update' these days.
    >>>
    >>> Up to Nov '03:
    >>> http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/fixlistme.htm and there
    >>> haven't been that many since. I must update that page.
    >>>
    >>> Shane
    >>>
    >> Really ?
    >>
    >> I just found this in the Knowledge Base
    >>
    >> Critical Update for Microsoft Data Access Components -
    >> Disable ADODB.Stream object from Internet Explorer - Win9x (KB870669

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fe2a5b1c-ff30-40a0-8e70-c9f1f4dcd8c2&displaylang=en

    | Dave,
    |
    | I get the impression you didn't really read what I said. Otherwise I don't
    | get the point.
    |
    | Shane

    The word "tend" ?
    or
    12/03 ? That patch was released 7/2/2004

    So I guess the point flew over my head :-(

    --

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com>
    >
    >> David H. Lipman wrote:
    >>> From: "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com>

    >>> Really ?
    >>>
    >>> I just found this in the Knowledge Base
    >>>
    >>> Critical Update for Microsoft Data Access Components -
    >>> Disable ADODB.Stream object from Internet Explorer - Win9x (KB870669

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fe2a5b1c-ff30-40a0-8e70-c9f1f4dcd8c2&displaylang=en

    >> Dave,
    >>
    >> I get the impression you didn't really read what I said. Otherwise I
    >> don't get the point.
    >>
    >> Shane
    >>

    > The word "tend" ?

    Indeed. As in 'more often than not'.

    The point is for possibly the majority of patches specific to Win ME or
    98/98SE, if you get to the Bulletin or KB article and look for the download
    link you'll see that while for the various NT systems there is a link to an
    executable, for 9x systems - and especially for ME - it'll say 'only
    available from Windows Update'.

    > or
    > 12/03 ? That patch was released 7/2/2004

    http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/fixlistme.htm along with the two
    pages it links to, was done to provide links to the direct (in most cases)
    download for the patches contained on the Windows Security Update cd (and in
    the order MS saw fit to install them). Which was, of course, released Nov
    '03.

    Using the above links the files can be downloaded using eg, Firefox or a
    download manager. They'll get a machine patched to Nov '03 levels (as of
    course would a copy of the cd!) though I didn't see any point providing
    direct links to full IE or WMP downloads. Best to get a full IE 6.0 SP1 off
    an ISP or other software cd, I reckon, for IE.

    I have gotten a list of post Oct '03 updates - there are more than I was
    thinking! As soon as I've got the urls I'll put up a new page and lose the
    emphasis on the cd.

    Shane

    > Which was, of course, released Nov '03.

    Actually Feb if not March 2004 although content was indeed frozen at Nov
    2003.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Indeed. As in 'more often than not'.
    >
    > The point is for possibly the majority of patches specific to Win ME
    > or 98/98SE, if you get to the Bulletin or KB article and look for the
    > download link you'll see that while for the various NT systems there
    > is a link to an executable, for 9x systems - and especially for ME -
    > it'll say 'only available from Windows Update'.
    >
    >> or
    >> 12/03 ? That patch was released 7/2/2004
    >
    > http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/fixlistme.htm along with the
    > two pages it links to, was done to provide links to the direct (in
    > most cases) download for the patches contained on the Windows
    > Security Update cd (and in the order MS saw fit to install them).
    > Which was, of course, released Nov '03.
    >
    > Using the above links the files can be downloaded using eg, Firefox
    > or a download manager. They'll get a machine patched to Nov '03
    > levels (as of course would a copy of the cd!) though I didn't see any
    > point providing direct links to full IE or WMP downloads. Best to get
    > a full IE 6.0 SP1 off an ISP or other software cd, I reckon, for IE.
    >
    > I have gotten a list of post Oct '03 updates - there are more than I
    > was thinking! As soon as I've got the urls I'll put up a new page and
    > lose the emphasis on the cd.
    >
    > Shane

    Cheers Mike! I had a nagging feeling that wasn't quite right but couldn't
    put my finger on it!

    Shane

    Mike M wrote:
    >> Which was, of course, released Nov '03.
    >
    > Actually Feb if not March 2004 although content was indeed frozen at
    > Nov 2003.
    >
    >> Indeed. As in 'more often than not'.
    >>
    >> The point is for possibly the majority of patches specific to Win ME
    >> or 98/98SE, if you get to the Bulletin or KB article and look for the
    >> download link you'll see that while for the various NT systems there
    >> is a link to an executable, for 9x systems - and especially for ME -
    >> it'll say 'only available from Windows Update'.
    >>
    >>> or
    >>> 12/03 ? That patch was released 7/2/2004
    >>
    >> http://website.lineone.net/~shanebeatson/fixlistme.htm along with the
    >> two pages it links to, was done to provide links to the direct (in
    >> most cases) download for the patches contained on the Windows
    >> Security Update cd (and in the order MS saw fit to install them).
    >> Which was, of course, released Nov '03.
    >>
    >> Using the above links the files can be downloaded using eg, Firefox
    >> or a download manager. They'll get a machine patched to Nov '03
    >> levels (as of course would a copy of the cd!) though I didn't see any
    >> point providing direct links to full IE or WMP downloads. Best to get
    >> a full IE 6.0 SP1 off an ISP or other software cd, I reckon, for IE.
    >>
    >> I have gotten a list of post Oct '03 updates - there are more than I
    >> was thinking! As soon as I've got the urls I'll put up a new page and
    >> lose the emphasis on the cd.
    >>
    >> Shane

Kernel32 Internet Explorer DLL Windows