2nd OS in POST - How to remove it?

Hi,
I have a w2k system which I wanted to reinstall on a drive that needed
to have the OS reinstalled. But instead of wiping that hdd,
I had a same size harddrive which had held an xp os, so I put my w2k os
disk in it to wipe it. (That way I could have 2 hdd's in my puter and then
pick and choose what data to keep
from the old w2k hdd without the concern of loosing any data and move
the good data to newly installed hdd over a period of time.)

The w2k os installed on the old xp hdd but I noticed one difference. After
I deleted the partitions, I normally have the choice of installing FAT or
NTFS
when I install w2k. This time, I only had the choice of NTFS.

Now even though I deleted the old partitions and reformatted, the POST comes
up and then offers me the choice of
which OS to go to (w2k or xp). If I choose the xp, there is nothing there
and
it stops and says problem with proceeding. If I choose w2k, it opens into
w2k normally.

How do I remove that choice of xp in the POST??? I don't want to be
stopped
there with a choice every time. If I leave it alone, it does time out to
the default
choice which is w2k, but that adds about 30 sec. to the POST time.

HELP!!!

Thanks,
jenny

JohnS

Not clear as to what you actually did. If you used your
W2k cd to wipe a disk, and you actually deleted the
partition, and then reformatted it, there is no way the
XP OS is still there to be detected as a dual boot.
And that is what you have. Somehow that operation
failed, and you installed W2k right on top of XP without
deleting it. I haven't done a W2k install in years, but
I'm guessing that the W2k cd simply could not remove
the XP partition. Go back and use the XP cd to remove
that partition, and then do the W2k install.

johns

"dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a w2k system which I wanted to reinstall on a drive that needed
> to have the OS reinstalled. But instead of wiping that hdd,
> I had a same size harddrive which had held an xp os, so I put my w2k os
> disk in it to wipe it. (That way I could have 2 hdd's in my puter and
> then
> pick and choose what data to keep
> from the old w2k hdd without the concern of loosing any data and move
> the good data to newly installed hdd over a period of time.)
>
> The w2k os installed on the old xp hdd but I noticed one difference. After
> I deleted the partitions, I normally have the choice of installing FAT or
> NTFS
> when I install w2k. This time, I only had the choice of NTFS.
>
> Now even though I deleted the old partitions and reformatted, the POST
> comes
> up and then offers me the choice of
> which OS to go to (w2k or xp). If I choose the xp, there is nothing there
> and
> it stops and says problem with proceeding. If I choose w2k, it opens into
> w2k normally.
>
> How do I remove that choice of xp in the POST??? I don't want to be
> stopped
> there with a choice every time. If I leave it alone, it does time out to
> the default
> choice which is w2k, but that adds about 30 sec. to the POST time.
>
> HELP!!!
>
> Thanks,
> jenny

I think you need to edit your BOOT INI file which usualy is accessed by
running MSconfig, or accessed from SYSTEM PROPERTIES>ADVACED>STARTUP and
RECOVERY, This is the proceedure for WinXP, should be nearly the same in
2000.

Regards, Rene Lamontagne