Fixed Weirdness except Video Card shows as Generic!

Hi all. I was having problems with my MSI KT4V / XP2000 based computer
(verrrry slow running and constant lockups) running WinXP. I did a repair
install in XP and updated whatever I could and it's running much better now
except for the video card is not detected in Device Manager. I've tried
installing several different drivers (NVidia card) and some do not detect
it, some do, but it still does not show up. Trying a hardware detect does
not find it, nor does NVidia show up on the manual install list for video
adapters. A different NVidia card does not show up either. Right now I'm
running a generic VGA driver. Video adapter properties shows <unavailable>
for chip type, memory size, etc. when I right click on the desktop and
choose properties -> adapter. Bios is set for AGP and both cards tried have
been AGP. Could it be the motherboard? I'm not running the latest BIOS.
Perhaps I should update it? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
WW

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:33:30 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "WaterWatcher"
<replytogroup@donotmail.com> wrote :

>Hi all. I was having problems with my MSI KT4V / XP2000 based computer
>(verrrry slow running and constant lockups) running WinXP. I did a repair
>install in XP and updated whatever I could and it's running much better now
>except for the video card is not detected in Device Manager. I've tried
>installing several different drivers (NVidia card) and some do not detect
>it, some do, but it still does not show up. Trying a hardware detect does
>not find it, nor does NVidia show up on the manual install list for video
>adapters. A different NVidia card does not show up either. Right now I'm
>running a generic VGA driver. Video adapter properties shows <unavailable>
>for chip type, memory size, etc. when I right click on the desktop and
>choose properties -> adapter. Bios is set for AGP and both cards tried have
>been AGP. Could it be the motherboard? I'm not running the latest BIOS.
>Perhaps I should update it? Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>WW

I've not totally worked this out myself with XP which I've been
running dual boot for over 2 years.It was dead easy in Win98/SE.

I don't think a BIOS update will help,it's a software ting.

Here's what I had to do on a bit of testing.
Change the video card/driver to a default WinXP very simple card like
a ,"Standard VGA/SVA" card e.g use the choice not to let windows
search.Remove ALL mention of you real card from the control Panel.
Run some reg cleaners,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
Easy cleaner works along side with RegScrubXP.
Then make sure you install the updated ,"Motherboard" AGP drivers,
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=362&kind=1
which may be contained in a Drivers pack like my old<Spit> Via chip
set 4-in-1 pack.SIS make way better mother board chip sets IMNSHO.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:33:30 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
> because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "WaterWatcher"
> <replytogroup@donotmail.com> wrote :
>
>>Hi all. I was having problems with my MSI KT4V / XP2000 based computer
>>(verrrry slow running and constant lockups) running WinXP. I did a repair
>>install in XP and updated whatever I could and it's running much better
>>now
>>except for the video card is not detected in Device Manager. I've tried
>>installing several different drivers (NVidia card) and some do not detect
>>it, some do, but it still does not show up. Trying a hardware detect does
>>not find it, nor does NVidia show up on the manual install list for video
>>adapters. A different NVidia card does not show up either. Right now I'm
>>running a generic VGA driver. Video adapter properties shows
>><unavailable>
>>for chip type, memory size, etc. when I right click on the desktop and
>>choose properties -> adapter. Bios is set for AGP and both cards tried
>>have
>>been AGP. Could it be the motherboard? I'm not running the latest BIOS.
>>Perhaps I should update it? Any suggestions?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>WW
>>

> I've not totally worked this out myself with XP which I've been
> running dual boot for over 2 years.It was dead easy in Win98/SE.
>
> I don't think a BIOS update will help,it's a software ting.
>
> Here's what I had to do on a bit of testing.
> Change the video card/driver to a default WinXP very simple card like
> a ,"Standard VGA/SVA" card e.g use the choice not to let windows
> search.Remove ALL mention of you real card from the control Panel.
> Run some reg cleaners,
> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
> Easy cleaner works along side with RegScrubXP.
> Then make sure you install the updated ,"Motherboard" AGP drivers,
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=362&kind=1
> which may be contained in a Drivers pack like my old<Spit> Via chip
> set 4-in-1 pack.SIS make way better mother board chip sets IMNSHO.

Thanks, that fixed it!

WW

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:19:36 -0700 If I have seen farther it is

Glad I could help :)