Adding front-panel audio...

I recently upgraded my system to use an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, in a
fairly generic case that has no built-in capability for front-panel
audio. The only thing I've seen so far for adding that capability to
a case like this seems to be the ASUS iPanel Deluxe, but a) it does a
lot more than I want, b) it costs more than I want (and I don't like
paying for functionality I don't need), and c) I haven't even found a
place that sells it, although maybe I could get one through eBay or
some such site.

All I *really* want is a way to connect a microphone, without
disconnecting my speakers. I wish I'd thought of that before I
selected this motherboard, since the only way to do that is using the
FP_AUDIO interface which currently is useless to me!

Any ideas for a way to get a mic input installed? It doesn't have to
be pretty, it just has to work without causing other problems.

--
S. Whitmore :: usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce
http://www.just-stuart.com/

    The Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card includes a front bay plate
    that has many inputs including microphone with volume control. About $179
    US.

    --
    DaveW

    "S. Whitmore" <usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote in message
    >I recently upgraded my system to use an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, in a
    > fairly generic case that has no built-in capability for front-panel
    > audio. The only thing I've seen so far for adding that capability to
    > a case like this seems to be the ASUS iPanel Deluxe, but a) it does a
    > lot more than I want, b) it costs more than I want (and I don't like
    > paying for functionality I don't need), and c) I haven't even found a
    > place that sells it, although maybe I could get one through eBay or
    > some such site.
    >
    > All I *really* want is a way to connect a microphone, without
    > disconnecting my speakers. I wish I'd thought of that before I
    > selected this motherboard, since the only way to do that is using the
    > FP_AUDIO interface which currently is useless to me!
    >
    > Any ideas for a way to get a mic input installed? It doesn't have to
    > be pretty, it just has to work without causing other problems.
    >
    > --
    > S. Whitmore :: usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce
    > http://www.just-stuart.com/
    > http://weeklypixmuse.blogspot.com/

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:17:04 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
    I have stood on the shoulder of giants S. Whitmore
    <usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote :

    >I recently upgraded my system to use an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, in a
    >fairly generic case that has no built-in capability for front-panel
    >audio. The only thing I've seen so far for adding that capability to
    >a case like this seems to be the ASUS iPanel Deluxe, but a) it does a
    >lot more than I want, b) it costs more than I want (and I don't like
    >paying for functionality I don't need), and c) I haven't even found a
    >place that sells it, although maybe I could get one through eBay or
    >some such site.
    >
    >All I *really* want is a way to connect a microphone, without
    >disconnecting my speakers. I wish I'd thought of that before I
    >selected this motherboard, since the only way to do that is using the
    >FP_AUDIO interface which currently is useless to me!
    >
    >Any ideas for a way to get a mic input installed? It doesn't have to
    >be pretty, it just has to work without causing other problems.

    Drill a hole in the front.Wire a socket in and run a small Mic cable
    to the hole from the sound card?

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:27:00 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
    because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "DaveW"
    <none@zero.org> wrote :

    >The Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card includes a front bay plate
    >that has many inputs including microphone with volume control. About $179
    >US.

    Piss off :)

    PS
    And do it fast ;-)

    --

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 23:59:20 +0100, Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Drill a hole in the front.Wire a socket in and run a small Mic cable
    >to the hole from the sound card?

    No sound card, just the onboard audio on the motherboard. Adding a
    sound card would work since I could simply get one with a separate mic
    input, but I'd prefer to use the onboard audio rather than adding an
    essentially redundant device. I don't know where I'd get more info on
    creating my own internal cable to the FP_AUDIO connector and I don't
    want to risk my new motherboard by tinkering in ignorance.

    If I could find a mic input on something that was intended to go to
    that FP_AUDIO connector, I'd be happy to "make it fit" with my case
    somehow. Maybe I should just go poke around at Fry's for awhile and
    see if I can find something there...

    --
    S. Whitmore :: usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce
    http://www.just-stuart.com/
    http://weeklypixmuse.blogspot.com/

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 08:11:01 GMT, S. Whitmore
    <usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote:

    >Maybe I should just go poke around at Fry's for awhile and
    >see if I can find something there...

    Or, to answer my own question... Just minutes after posting that, I
    found the following site which seems to have everything I need, and a
    complete solution for under $5:

    http://www.frontx.com/

    Now, if I'd found that the *first* time that I went looking for a
    solution, I never would've even started this thread. Well, hopefully
    it will be useful to somebody else someday as it sits in the newsgroup
    archives maintained by Google (and perhaps others)...

    --

    "S. Whitmore" wrote:
    > Shep© wrote:
    >
    > >Drill a hole in the front.Wire a socket in and run a small Mic cable
    > >to the hole from the sound card?
    >
    > No sound card, just the onboard audio on the motherboard. Adding a
    > sound card would work since I could simply get one with a separate mic
    > input, but I'd prefer to use the onboard audio rather than adding an
    > essentially redundant device. I don't know where I'd get more info on
    > creating my own internal cable to the FP_AUDIO connector and I don't
    > want to risk my new motherboard by tinkering in ignorance.

    Shep's advice is solid; while you have onboard sound, there is still a
    microphone input jack pointing out the back of your case. Just mount a jack
    somewhere on the front ot your case and run the wires through to the back to
    exit the case, terminate them into a stereo plug, and plug it into the
    existing jack. Done.

    Jon

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:49:59 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
    <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Shep's advice is solid; while you have onboard sound, there is still a
    >microphone input jack pointing out the back of your case.

    Well, it might be solid advice if actually applied -- yes, there's a
    jack pointing out the back of the case that "could" be used for the
    microphone, but it's in use. Please refer to my original message! In
    that, I stated: "All I *really* want is a way to connect a
    microphone, without disconnecting my speakers." That pretty much
    implies that I'd have to disconnect my speakers to connect a
    microphone using the rear jack. (It also implies that I don't care
    whether it's connected in front or in back...)

    With anything more advanced than a simple 2-speaker setup, the "mic"
    jack in the back must play the role of "rear speaker" jack. Like I
    said originally, I wasn't thinking about microphone support when I was
    buying the motherboard. The only *available* microphone interface is
    the FP_AUDIO connector on the motherboard.

    I appreciate the interest in providing advice, but in this case it
    would have been helpful to read what I wrote the first time and to be
    familiar with the product I named (i.e., the ASUS K8V SE Deluxe).

    Anyway, the problem should now be solved thanks to frontx.com. I'm
    looking forward to my order arriving so I can verify that it does
    indeed meet my needs.

    --
    S. Whitmore :: usenet-bou...@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce
    http://www.just-stuart.com/
    http://weeklypixmuse.blogspot.com/

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:26:02 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
    I have stood on the shoulder of giants S. Whitmore
    <usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote :

    >On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:49:59 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
    ><jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Shep's advice is solid; while you have onboard sound, there is still a
    >>microphone input jack pointing out the back of your case.
    >
    >Well, it might be solid advice if actually applied -- yes, there's a
    >jack pointing out the back of the case that "could" be used for the
    >microphone, but it's in use. Please refer to my original message! In
    >that, I stated: "All I *really* want is a way to connect a
    >microphone, without disconnecting my speakers." That pretty much
    >implies that I'd have to disconnect my speakers to connect a
    >microphone using the rear jack. (It also implies that I don't care
    >whether it's connected in front or in back...)
    >
    >With anything more advanced than a simple 2-speaker setup, the "mic"
    >jack in the back must play the role of "rear speaker" jack. Like I
    >said originally, I wasn't thinking about microphone support when I was
    >buying the motherboard. The only *available* microphone interface is
    >the FP_AUDIO connector on the motherboard.
    >
    >I appreciate the interest in providing advice, but in this case it
    >would have been helpful to read what I wrote the first time and to be
    >familiar with the product I named (i.e., the ASUS K8V SE Deluxe).
    >
    >Anyway, the problem should now be solved thanks to frontx.com. I'm
    >looking forward to my order arriving so I can verify that it does
    >indeed meet my needs.

    Glad you found a fix that suited :)

    --

    "S. Whitmore" wrote:
    > , "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    >
    > >Shep's advice is solid; while you have onboard sound, there is still a
    > >microphone input jack pointing out the back of your case.
    >
    > Well, it might be solid advice if actually applied -- yes, there's a
    > jack pointing out the back of the case that "could" be used for the
    > microphone, but it's in use. Please refer to my original message! In
    > that, I stated: "All I *really* want is a way to connect a
    > microphone, without disconnecting my speakers." That pretty much
    > implies that I'd have to disconnect my speakers to connect a
    > microphone using the rear jack. (It also implies that I don't care
    > whether it's connected in front or in back...)
    >
    > With anything more advanced than a simple 2-speaker setup, the "mic"
    > jack in the back must play the role of "rear speaker" jack. Like I
    > said originally, I wasn't thinking about microphone support when I was
    > buying the motherboard. The only *available* microphone interface is
    > the FP_AUDIO connector on the motherboard.
    >
    > I appreciate the interest in providing advice, but in this case it
    > would have been helpful to read what I wrote the first time and to be
    > familiar with the product I named (i.e., the ASUS K8V SE Deluxe).

    I did read what you wrote the first time, but I was not aware that this
    board disables the mic jack when it is set up for six speaker sound output.
    I'm rather surprised that ASUS would use such a strategy, given the
    popularity of headsets for gaming.

    Jon

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:58:13 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
    <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >...I was not aware that this
    >board disables the mic jack when it is set up for six speaker sound output.

    I wouldn't say that it "disables" it -- it *uses* it for the speaker
    output. (Perhaps more accurately, the mic uses the rear speaker
    output when no rear speaker is installed.)

    There are only three jacks on the back, used as follows, per the
    manual:

    2-speaker setup:
    Jack 1 - Line In
    Jack 2 - Line Out
    Jack 3 - Mic In

    4-speaker setup:
    Jack 1 - Line In
    Jack 2 - Front Speaker Out
    Jack 3 - Rear Speaker Out

    6-speaker setup (what I use):
    Jack 1 - Bass/Center
    Jack 2 - Front Speaker Out
    Jack 3 - Rear Speaker Out

    So, as mentioned previously, the only time jack #3 is used for a mic
    input is with a 2-speaker setup. Otherwise, that jack is the Rear
    Speaker Out jack.

    And yes, it's a lame design from ASUS.

    --
    S. Whitmore :: usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce
    http://www.just-stuart.com/
    http://weeklypixmuse.blogspot.com/

    It uses a mic input as a speaker output? That doesn't sound right.

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:58:20 GMT, "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net>
    wrote:

    >It uses a mic input as a speaker output? That doesn't sound right.

    It is correct, if that's what you mean. Given the poor design, I
    hesitate to call it "right," but it's how the board is. If you think
    I'm wrong, feel free to examine the manual, it's on the ASUS site in
    PDF format.

    --
    S. Whitmore :: usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce
    http://www.just-stuart.com/