spyblaster v. spybot

I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
some time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.

What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?

Thanks
24 answers Last reply
More about spyblaster spybot

    They are 2 entirely different programs, Richard. SpywareBlaster prevents
    spyware from downloading to your computer. Spybot removes spyware from your
    computer. As does AdAware.

    Personally, I use AdAware for removal and SpywareBlaster for prevention. I
    find Spybot takes way too long to scan my WinME computer.....AdAware is just
    as good and much faster.

    I have also gone over to Firefox for a browser and it prevents popups and
    spyware, etc. I am now using it exclusively, other than for Windows
    Updates, which require you to use IE.

    Hope that helps......Heather

    "richard" wrote:
    > I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group some time
    > ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
    >
    > What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?

    <paste>
    SpywareBlaster disables certain ActiveX control class IDs associated with parasites.
    This has the effect of hobbling some parasites if they are installed, and preventing
    many others from loading by ActiveX drive-by-downloads in Internet Explorer.
    </paste>

    SpyBot tutorial;
    <http://www.spybot.info/en/tutorial/index.html>

    Silj

    --
    siljaline

    MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    Security Tools Updates
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

    (Reply to group, as return address
    is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    Thanks Heather and Silj. I have now installed Spyware Blaster to join
    company with my Spybot and Ad-aware. There's a lot of gunk out there.
    Richard

    richard wrote:
    > I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
    > some time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
    >
    > What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
    >
    > Thanks

    You are welcome. Make sure that you have enabled the definitions and do
    check for updates every week or so. Open the program and go to the page
    showing Quick Tasks at the bottom and click on "Enable All Protection".

    Cheers, Heather

    > Thanks Heather and Silj. I have now installed Spyware Blaster to join
    > company with my Spybot and Ad-aware. There's a lot of gunk out there.
    > Richard
    >

    > richard wrote:
    >> I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
    >> some time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
    >>
    >> What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    SpywareBlaster and Spybot compliment, not supersede each other, Richard, as
    you have found out by now.
    You are correct in using both
    One can never ask too many questions.
    The only stupid question is the one not being asked.
    Happy surfing.

    Harry.

    "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
    > I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
    > some time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
    >
    > What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
    >
    > Thanks

    Figgsy Malone, I trust you appreciate in XP SP2, IE also blocks popups! And
    take a look on the IE Programs page for Manage Add-ons, if you haven't
    already.

    And here's a reg file to change High security settings to genuinely high and
    set the new ones as default:

    For XP
    -------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\TemplatePolicies\High]
    "1001"=dword:00000003
    "1004"=dword:00000003
    "1200"=dword:00000003
    "1201"=dword:00000003
    "1400"=dword:00000003
    "1402"=dword:00000003
    "1405"=dword:00000003
    "1406"=dword:00000003
    "1407"=dword:00000003
    "1601"=dword:00000003
    "1604"=dword:00000003
    "1605"=dword:00000000
    "1606"=dword:00000003
    "1607"=dword:00000003
    "1608"=dword:00000003
    "1609"=dword:00000003
    "1800"=dword:00000003
    "1802"=dword:00000003
    "1803"=dword:00000003
    "1804"=dword:00000003
    "1809"=dword:00000000
    "1A00"=dword:00010000
    "1A02"=dword:00000003
    "1A03"=dword:00000003
    "1A04"=dword:00000003
    "1A05"=dword:00000003
    "1A06"=dword:00000003
    "1C00"=dword:00000000
    "1E05"=dword:00010000
    "2100"=dword:00000003
    "2101"=dword:00000003
    "2102"=dword:00000003
    "2200"=dword:00000003
    "2201"=dword:00000003
    "2300"=dword:00000003
    "2000"=dword:00000003
    "180B"=dword:00000001
    "2001"=dword:00000003
    "2004"=dword:00000003

    -------------------

    For ME

    -------------------
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\TemplatePolicies\High]
    "1001"=dword:00000003
    "1004"=dword:00000003
    "1200"=dword:00000003
    "1201"=dword:00000003
    "1206"=dword:00000003
    "1400"=dword:00000003
    "1402"=dword:00000003
    "1405"=dword:00000003
    "1406"=dword:00000003
    "1407"=dword:00000003
    "1601"=dword:00000003
    "1604"=dword:00000003
    "1605"=dword:00000000
    "1606"=dword:00000003
    "1607"=dword:00000003
    "1608"=dword:00000003
    "1609"=dword:00000003
    "1800"=dword:00000003
    "1802"=dword:00000003
    "1803"=dword:00000003
    "1804"=dword:00000003
    "1805"=dword:00000001
    "180B"=dword:00000001
    "1A00"=dword:00010000
    "1A02"=dword:00000003
    "1A03"=dword:00000003
    "1A04"=dword:00000003
    "1A05"=dword:00000003
    "1A06"=dword:00000003
    "1A10"=dword:00000003
    "1C00"=hex:00,00,00,00
    "1E05"=dword:00010000

    -------------------

    Shane

    Thanks, Puss!!

    Have to run and make supper, but will look into this later. I had taken the
    popup blocker off IE at one point, but put it back on. (had a problem with
    Pogo, grin) Will check out *Manage Add-ons*.

    XX Figgsy M.

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Figgsy Malone, I trust you appreciate in XP SP2, IE also blocks popups!
    > And take a look on the IE Programs page for Manage Add-ons, if you haven't
    > already.
    >
    > And here's a reg file to change High security settings to genuinely high
    > and set the new ones as default:
    >
    > For XP
    > -------------------
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\TemplatePolicies\High]
    > "1001"=dword:00000003
    > "1004"=dword:00000003
    > "1200"=dword:00000003
    > "1201"=dword:00000003
    > "1400"=dword:00000003
    > "1402"=dword:00000003
    > "1405"=dword:00000003
    > "1406"=dword:00000003
    > "1407"=dword:00000003
    > "1601"=dword:00000003
    > "1604"=dword:00000003
    > "1605"=dword:00000000
    > "1606"=dword:00000003
    > "1607"=dword:00000003
    > "1608"=dword:00000003
    > "1609"=dword:00000003
    > "1800"=dword:00000003
    > "1802"=dword:00000003
    > "1803"=dword:00000003
    > "1804"=dword:00000003
    > "1809"=dword:00000000
    > "1A00"=dword:00010000
    > "1A02"=dword:00000003
    > "1A03"=dword:00000003
    > "1A04"=dword:00000003
    > "1A05"=dword:00000003
    > "1A06"=dword:00000003
    > "1C00"=dword:00000000
    > "1E05"=dword:00010000
    > "2100"=dword:00000003
    > "2101"=dword:00000003
    > "2102"=dword:00000003
    > "2200"=dword:00000003
    > "2201"=dword:00000003
    > "2300"=dword:00000003
    > "2000"=dword:00000003
    > "180B"=dword:00000001
    > "2001"=dword:00000003
    > "2004"=dword:00000003
    >
    > -------------------
    >
    > For ME
    >
    > -------------------
    > REGEDIT4
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> [...]

    Figgs,

    Are we going to have to ask MS to start a Windows ME subgroup <g>
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsme.general slowly-going-to-XP !

    Silj

    --
    siljaline

    MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    Security Tools Updates
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

    (Reply to group, as return address
    is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    Not a bad idea, Silj. This group is still *home* to a lot of us, so perhaps
    Billy will approve of the slight change, lol.

    Figgs

    "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Figgs,
    >
    > Are we going to have to ask MS to start a Windows ME subgroup <g>
    > slowly-going-to-XP !
    >
    > Silj
    >
    > --
    > siljaline
    >
    > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    > Security Tools Updates
    > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
    >
    > (Reply to group, as return address
    > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    One more question: when I started up Netscape, Spyware Blaster appeared
    on the taskbar. When I clicked on it and then minimized it again, I got
    the notice that I did not need to keep SB running for the program to
    work. I like that idea, but how in the world then does it keep out
    adware and other malign stuff??
    Richard

    "richard" wrote:
    > One more question: when I started up Netscape, Spyware Blaster appeared on the
    > taskbar. When I clicked on it and then minimized it again, I got the notice that I
    > did not need to keep SB running for the program to work. I like that idea, but how
    > in the world then does it keep out adware and other malign stuff??

    Post your query to the official Spyware Blaster Forum for assistance.
    <http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19>

    Silj

    --

    Figgs wrote:
    > Not a bad idea, Silj. This group is still *home* to a lot of us, so perhaps Billy
    > will approve of the slight change, lol.

    This NG is still home for me, Figgs <g>

    Silj

    --
    siljaline

    MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    Security Tools Updates
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

    (Reply to group, as return address
    is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    <lol> At least there is more tolerance going OT here than in XP <g> what
    are we going to do when everyones on XP :-(
    Joan

    siljaline wrote:
    > Figgs wrote:
    >> Not a bad idea, Silj. This group is still *home* to a lot of us, so
    >> perhaps Billy will approve of the slight change, lol.
    >
    > This NG is still home for me, Figgs <g>
    >
    > Silj

    Be much happier and more productive? <GD&RVVF>

    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > <lol> At least there is more tolerance going OT here than in XP <g> what
    > are we going to do when everyones on XP :-(

    <lol> Shame on you Richard where would we go to meet all our friends <g>
    Joan

    Richard G. Harper wrote:
    > Be much happier and more productive? <GD&RVVF>
    >

    > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >> <lol> At least there is more tolerance going OT here than in XP <g>
    >> what are we going to do when everyones on XP :-(

    I have a 4yoWinME Time Computers (now defunct) box with, 1.3 gig AMD Athlon
    processor, 60 gig HD (47 gig free) and 512 Mb memory. So nothing special.
    Personally, I find Spybot quicker than AdAware on full system scan and even
    on smart scan too, and use them both and SpyBlaster (belt & braces), but as
    they say YMMV.

    --
    Delboy

    A common mistake that people made when trying to design something completely
    foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

    Douglas Adams
    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
    > They are 2 entirely different programs, Richard. SpywareBlaster prevents
    > spyware from downloading to your computer. Spybot removes spyware from
    your
    > computer. As does AdAware.
    >
    > Personally, I use AdAware for removal and SpywareBlaster for prevention.
    > find Spybot takes way too long to scan my WinME computer.....AdAware is
    just
    > as good and much faster.
    >
    > I have also gone over to Firefox for a browser and it prevents popups and
    > spyware, etc. I am now using it exclusively, other than for Windows
    > Updates, which require you to use IE.
    >
    > Hope that helps......Heather
    > "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
    > > I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
    some
    > > time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
    > >
    > > What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
    > >
    > > Thanks

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Nice shot, Richard! We could start another XP group, made up of former
    Me'rs. Let's see, it could be something like:
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.wasMenowXP.general and invite
    all our friends for a party. The XP groups are quite good, just a little
    drab....too straight and narrow, but, a great place for formal help.
    Heirloom, old and like it loose

    > Be much happier and more productive? <GD&RVVF>

    > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    >

    > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >> <lol> At least there is more tolerance going OT here than in XP <g> what
    >> are we going to do when everyones on XP :-(

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Love your 'tag' Del. I have found the scans to be roughly the same. Big
    thing, is Spybot can be made to be more thorough than Adaware, more
    features. That's why I use them both. And the real biggie with Spyware
    Blaster is that it uses no cpu cycles at all.........just sets the kill bits
    in the reg. I use them all........
    Heirloom, old and safe hex feels just as
    good

    "Delboy" <derek.hoy1nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 4yoWinME Time Computers (now defunct) box with, 1.3 gig AMD Athlon
    > processor, 60 gig HD (47 gig free) and 512 Mb memory. So nothing special.
    > Personally, I find Spybot quicker than AdAware on full system scan and
    > even
    > on smart scan too, and use them both and SpyBlaster (belt & braces), but
    > as
    > they say YMMV.
    >
    > --
    > Delboy
    >
    > A common mistake that people made when trying to design something
    > completely
    > foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    >
    > Douglas Adams
    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
    >> They are 2 entirely different programs, Richard. SpywareBlaster prevents
    >> spyware from downloading to your computer. Spybot removes spyware from
    > your
    >> computer. As does AdAware.
    >>
    >> Personally, I use AdAware for removal and SpywareBlaster for prevention.
    >> find Spybot takes way too long to scan my WinME computer.....AdAware is
    > just
    >> as good and much faster.
    >>
    >> I have also gone over to Firefox for a browser and it prevents popups and
    >> spyware, etc. I am now using it exclusively, other than for Windows
    >> Updates, which require you to use IE.
    >>
    >> Hope that helps......Heather
    >> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
    >> > I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
    > some
    >> > time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
    >> >
    >> > What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    It works by setting kill bits in the Reg. The "nasties" that try to get in
    simply think they are already there and go on their way.
    Heirloom, old and probably
    oversimplified

    > One more question: when I started up Netscape, Spyware Blaster appeared on
    > the taskbar. When I clicked on it and then minimized it again, I got the
    > notice that I did not need to keep SB running for the program to work. I
    > like that idea, but how in the world then does it keep out adware and
    > other malign stuff??
    > Richard
    >
    > webster72n wrote:
    >> SpywareBlaster and Spybot compliment, not supersede each other, Richard,
    >> as
    >> you have found out by now.
    >> You are correct in using both
    >> One can never ask too many questions.
    >> The only stupid question is the one not being asked.
    >> Happy surfing.
    >>
    >> Harry.
    >>

    >> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
    >>>some time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
    >>>
    >>>What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <snipped for brevity>

    Thanks Heirloom, noticed your tags too; always raise a quiet (or even not so
    quiet) chuckle.

    --
    Delboy

    A common mistake that people made when trying to design something completely
    foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

    Douglas Adams
  21. Are you talking about spywareblaster or www.spyblaster.com ? They both are similar...
  22. Unless you have a ouija board, you're not going to get a reply. Look at the date of this thread. :wink:
  23. NONE! use spybot and adaware.
  24. Look at the date. The question was asked almost a year and a half ago. I'm sure you're advice will help Richard. :lol: Try to stick to posts no older than two weeks.

Spybot Microsoft Windows