spyblaster v. spybot

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
September 19, 2005 9:05:32 PM

I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
some time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.

What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?

Thanks

More about : spyblaster spybot

September 19, 2005 9:29:32 PM

They are 2 entirely different programs, Richard. SpywareBlaster prevents
spyware from downloading to your computer. Spybot removes spyware from your
computer. As does AdAware.

Personally, I use AdAware for removal and SpywareBlaster for prevention. I
find Spybot takes way too long to scan my WinME computer.....AdAware is just
as good and much faster.

I have also gone over to Firefox for a browser and it prevents popups and
spyware, etc. I am now using it exclusively, other than for Windows
Updates, which require you to use IE.

Hope that helps......Heather
"richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
news:o %231kh3VvFHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group some
> time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
>
> What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 9:37:32 PM

"richard" wrote:
> I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group some time
> ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
>
> What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?

<paste>
SpywareBlaster disables certain ActiveX control class IDs associated with parasites.
This has the effect of hobbling some parasites if they are installed, and preventing
many others from loading by ActiveX drive-by-downloads in Internet Explorer.
</paste>

SpyBot tutorial;
<http://www.spybot.info/en/tutorial/index.html&gt;

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)
September 19, 2005 9:51:05 PM

Thanks Heather and Silj. I have now installed Spyware Blaster to join
company with my Spybot and Ad-aware. There's a lot of gunk out there.
Richard

richard wrote:
> I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
> some time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
>
> What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
>
> Thanks
September 19, 2005 10:02:21 PM

You are welcome. Make sure that you have enabled the definitions and do
check for updates every week or so. Open the program and go to the page
showing Quick Tasks at the bottom and click on "Enable All Protection".

Cheers, Heather

> Thanks Heather and Silj. I have now installed Spyware Blaster to join
> company with my Spybot and Ad-aware. There's a lot of gunk out there.
> Richard
>

> richard wrote:
>> I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
>> some time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
>>
>> What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
>>
>> Thanks
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 1:52:25 AM

SpywareBlaster and Spybot compliment, not supersede each other, Richard, as
you have found out by now.
You are correct in using both
One can never ask too many questions.
The only stupid question is the one not being asked.
Happy surfing.

Harry.

"richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
news:o %231kh3VvFHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
> some time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
>
> What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
>
> Thanks
September 20, 2005 3:00:09 AM

Figgsy Malone, I trust you appreciate in XP SP2, IE also blocks popups! And
take a look on the IE Programs page for Manage Add-ons, if you haven't
already.

And here's a reg file to change High security settings to genuinely high and
set the new ones as default:

For XP
-------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\TemplatePolicies\High]
"1001"=dword:00000003
"1004"=dword:00000003
"1200"=dword:00000003
"1201"=dword:00000003
"1400"=dword:00000003
"1402"=dword:00000003
"1405"=dword:00000003
"1406"=dword:00000003
"1407"=dword:00000003
"1601"=dword:00000003
"1604"=dword:00000003
"1605"=dword:00000000
"1606"=dword:00000003
"1607"=dword:00000003
"1608"=dword:00000003
"1609"=dword:00000003
"1800"=dword:00000003
"1802"=dword:00000003
"1803"=dword:00000003
"1804"=dword:00000003
"1809"=dword:00000000
"1A00"=dword:00010000
"1A02"=dword:00000003
"1A03"=dword:00000003
"1A04"=dword:00000003
"1A05"=dword:00000003
"1A06"=dword:00000003
"1C00"=dword:00000000
"1E05"=dword:00010000
"2100"=dword:00000003
"2101"=dword:00000003
"2102"=dword:00000003
"2200"=dword:00000003
"2201"=dword:00000003
"2300"=dword:00000003
"2000"=dword:00000003
"180B"=dword:00000001
"2001"=dword:00000003
"2004"=dword:00000003

-------------------

For ME

-------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\TemplatePolicies\High]
"1001"=dword:00000003
"1004"=dword:00000003
"1200"=dword:00000003
"1201"=dword:00000003
"1206"=dword:00000003
"1400"=dword:00000003
"1402"=dword:00000003
"1405"=dword:00000003
"1406"=dword:00000003
"1407"=dword:00000003
"1601"=dword:00000003
"1604"=dword:00000003
"1605"=dword:00000000
"1606"=dword:00000003
"1607"=dword:00000003
"1608"=dword:00000003
"1609"=dword:00000003
"1800"=dword:00000003
"1802"=dword:00000003
"1803"=dword:00000003
"1804"=dword:00000003
"1805"=dword:00000001
"180B"=dword:00000001
"1A00"=dword:00010000
"1A02"=dword:00000003
"1A03"=dword:00000003
"1A04"=dword:00000003
"1A05"=dword:00000003
"1A06"=dword:00000003
"1A10"=dword:00000003
"1C00"=hex:00,00,00,00
"1E05"=dword:00010000

-------------------

Shane
September 20, 2005 3:00:10 AM

Thanks, Puss!!

Have to run and make supper, but will look into this later. I had taken the
popup blocker off IE at one point, but put it back on. (had a problem with
Pogo, grin) Will check out *Manage Add-ons*.

XX Figgsy M.

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Figgsy Malone, I trust you appreciate in XP SP2, IE also blocks popups!
> And take a look on the IE Programs page for Manage Add-ons, if you haven't
> already.
>
> And here's a reg file to change High security settings to genuinely high
> and set the new ones as default:
>
> For XP
> -------------------
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\TemplatePolicies\High]
> "1001"=dword:00000003
> "1004"=dword:00000003
> "1200"=dword:00000003
> "1201"=dword:00000003
> "1400"=dword:00000003
> "1402"=dword:00000003
> "1405"=dword:00000003
> "1406"=dword:00000003
> "1407"=dword:00000003
> "1601"=dword:00000003
> "1604"=dword:00000003
> "1605"=dword:00000000
> "1606"=dword:00000003
> "1607"=dword:00000003
> "1608"=dword:00000003
> "1609"=dword:00000003
> "1800"=dword:00000003
> "1802"=dword:00000003
> "1803"=dword:00000003
> "1804"=dword:00000003
> "1809"=dword:00000000
> "1A00"=dword:00010000
> "1A02"=dword:00000003
> "1A03"=dword:00000003
> "1A04"=dword:00000003
> "1A05"=dword:00000003
> "1A06"=dword:00000003
> "1C00"=dword:00000000
> "1E05"=dword:00010000
> "2100"=dword:00000003
> "2101"=dword:00000003
> "2102"=dword:00000003
> "2200"=dword:00000003
> "2201"=dword:00000003
> "2300"=dword:00000003
> "2000"=dword:00000003
> "180B"=dword:00000001
> "2001"=dword:00000003
> "2004"=dword:00000003
>
> -------------------
>
> For ME
>
> -------------------
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> [...]
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:00:11 AM

Figgs,

Are we going to have to ask MS to start a Windows ME subgroup <g>
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsme.general slowly-going-to-XP !

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)
September 20, 2005 3:00:12 AM

Not a bad idea, Silj. This group is still *home* to a lot of us, so perhaps
Billy will approve of the slight change, lol.

Figgs

"siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o tuSToWvFHA.3860@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Figgs,
>
> Are we going to have to ask MS to start a Windows ME subgroup <g>
> slowly-going-to-XP !
>
> Silj
>
> --
> siljaline
>
> MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
> Security Tools Updates
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
>
> (Reply to group, as return address
> is invalid - that we may all benefit)

September 20, 2005 4:08:32 AM

One more question: when I started up Netscape, Spyware Blaster appeared
on the taskbar. When I clicked on it and then minimized it again, I got
the notice that I did not need to keep SB running for the program to
work. I like that idea, but how in the world then does it keep out
adware and other malign stuff??
Richard

webster72n wrote:
> SpywareBlaster and Spybot compliment, not supersede each other, Richard, as
> you have found out by now.
> You are correct in using both
> One can never ask too many questions.
> The only stupid question is the one not being asked.
> Happy surfing.
>
> Harry.
>

> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
> news:o %231kh3VvFHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
>>I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
>>some time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
>>
>>What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
>>
>>Thanks

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 4:24:53 AM

"richard" wrote:
> One more question: when I started up Netscape, Spyware Blaster appeared on the
> taskbar. When I clicked on it and then minimized it again, I got the notice that I
> did not need to keep SB running for the program to work. I like that idea, but how
> in the world then does it keep out adware and other malign stuff??

Post your query to the official Spyware Blaster Forum for assistance.
<http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19&gt;

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 4:26:02 AM

Figgs wrote:
> Not a bad idea, Silj. This group is still *home* to a lot of us, so perhaps Billy
> will approve of the slight change, lol.

This NG is still home for me, Figgs <g>

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:37:58 PM

<lol> At least there is more tolerance going OT here than in XP <g> what
are we going to do when everyones on XP :-(
Joan

siljaline wrote:
> Figgs wrote:
>> Not a bad idea, Silj. This group is still *home* to a lot of us, so
>> perhaps Billy will approve of the slight change, lol.
>
> This NG is still home for me, Figgs <g>
>
> Silj
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:37:59 PM

Be much happier and more productive? <GD&RVVF>

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:o aOxm9cvFHA.3080@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> <lol> At least there is more tolerance going OT here than in XP <g> what
> are we going to do when everyones on XP :-(
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 7:41:36 PM

<lol> Shame on you Richard where would we go to meet all our friends <g>
Joan

Richard G. Harper wrote:
> Be much happier and more productive? <GD&RVVF>
>

> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> news:o aOxm9cvFHA.3080@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> <lol> At least there is more tolerance going OT here than in XP <g>
>> what are we going to do when everyones on XP :-(
September 20, 2005 9:32:15 PM

I have a 4yoWinME Time Computers (now defunct) box with, 1.3 gig AMD Athlon
processor, 60 gig HD (47 gig free) and 512 Mb memory. So nothing special.
Personally, I find Spybot quicker than AdAware on full system scan and even
on smart scan too, and use them both and SpyBlaster (belt & braces), but as
they say YMMV.

--
Delboy

A common mistake that people made when trying to design something completely
foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams
"Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
news:o GIl9EWvFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> They are 2 entirely different programs, Richard. SpywareBlaster prevents
> spyware from downloading to your computer. Spybot removes spyware from
your
> computer. As does AdAware.
>
> Personally, I use AdAware for removal and SpywareBlaster for prevention.
> find Spybot takes way too long to scan my WinME computer.....AdAware is
just
> as good and much faster.
>
> I have also gone over to Firefox for a browser and it prevents popups and
> spyware, etc. I am now using it exclusively, other than for Windows
> Updates, which require you to use IE.
>
> Hope that helps......Heather
> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
> news:o %231kh3VvFHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
some
> > time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
> >
> > What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 12:53:57 AM

Nice shot, Richard! We could start another XP group, made up of former
Me'rs. Let's see, it could be something like:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.wasMenowXP.general and invite
all our friends for a party. The XP groups are quite good, just a little
drab....too straight and narrow, but, a great place for formal help.
Heirloom, old and like it loose

news:o qpKFTdvFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Be much happier and more productive? <GD&RVVF>

> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>

> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> news:o aOxm9cvFHA.3080@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> <lol> At least there is more tolerance going OT here than in XP <g> what
>> are we going to do when everyones on XP :-(

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 12:58:29 AM

Love your 'tag' Del. I have found the scans to be roughly the same. Big
thing, is Spybot can be made to be more thorough than Adaware, more
features. That's why I use them both. And the real biggie with Spyware
Blaster is that it uses no cpu cycles at all.........just sets the kill bits
in the reg. I use them all........
Heirloom, old and safe hex feels just as
good

"Delboy" <derek.hoy1nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have a 4yoWinME Time Computers (now defunct) box with, 1.3 gig AMD Athlon
> processor, 60 gig HD (47 gig free) and 512 Mb memory. So nothing special.
> Personally, I find Spybot quicker than AdAware on full system scan and
> even
> on smart scan too, and use them both and SpyBlaster (belt & braces), but
> as
> they say YMMV.
>
> --
> Delboy
>
> A common mistake that people made when trying to design something
> completely
> foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
>
> Douglas Adams
> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
> news:o GIl9EWvFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> They are 2 entirely different programs, Richard. SpywareBlaster prevents
>> spyware from downloading to your computer. Spybot removes spyware from
> your
>> computer. As does AdAware.
>>
>> Personally, I use AdAware for removal and SpywareBlaster for prevention.
>> find Spybot takes way too long to scan my WinME computer.....AdAware is
> just
>> as good and much faster.
>>
>> I have also gone over to Firefox for a browser and it prevents popups and
>> spyware, etc. I am now using it exclusively, other than for Windows
>> Updates, which require you to use IE.
>>
>> Hope that helps......Heather
>> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
>> news:o %231kh3VvFHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> > I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
> some
>> > time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
>> >
>> > What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
>> >
>> > Thanks

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 1:01:03 AM

It works by setting kill bits in the Reg. The "nasties" that try to get in
simply think they are already there and go on their way.
Heirloom, old and probably
oversimplified

> One more question: when I started up Netscape, Spyware Blaster appeared on
> the taskbar. When I clicked on it and then minimized it again, I got the
> notice that I did not need to keep SB running for the program to work. I
> like that idea, but how in the world then does it keep out adware and
> other malign stuff??
> Richard
>
> webster72n wrote:
>> SpywareBlaster and Spybot compliment, not supersede each other, Richard,
>> as
>> you have found out by now.
>> You are correct in using both
>> One can never ask too many questions.
>> The only stupid question is the one not being asked.
>> Happy surfing.
>>
>> Harry.
>>

>> "richard" <rmk@wonderland.net> wrote in message
>> news:o %231kh3VvFHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>I've been using Spybot since I first saw it recommended in this group
>>>some time ago. Now I read a few reports that favor Spy Blaster.
>>>
>>>What advantages does Spy Blaster have over Spybot?
>>>
>>>Thanks

September 21, 2005 12:13:29 PM

<snipped for brevity>

Thanks Heirloom, noticed your tags too; always raise a quiet (or even not so
quiet) chuckle.

--
Delboy

A common mistake that people made when trying to design something completely
foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams
September 22, 2006 6:39:14 PM

Unless you have a ouija board, you're not going to get a reply. Look at the date of this thread. :wink:
February 6, 2007 11:14:42 PM

NONE! use spybot and adaware.
February 11, 2007 3:19:14 AM

Look at the date. The question was asked almost a year and a half ago. I'm sure you're advice will help Richard. :lol:  Try to stick to posts no older than two weeks.
!