Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool

Norman

I'm running ME. How did I end up with this intended for XP on my machine?
Is there a list of downloads from MS that might show me what I accidentally
downloaded and installed?
How do I get rid of it?

I've avoided XP because of MS registration policy with it. I just don't
agree with it and consider it another form of spyware. In recent weeks I had
been reconsidering because of new hardware, but these new methods force
another reconsideration.
Norman

Some downloads from the Microsoft Download Centre that can be installed on
a range of OSs including both 9x systems and XP require that the WGA
validation tool be downloaded however as soon as the tool detects that the
system is a 9x system such as Win Me it does nothing further. Similarly
if a Win Me system is used to download a component intended for a system
running XP such as Microsoft AntiSpyware the user will be asked to install
and verify WGA.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Norman <nthums1@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm running ME. How did I end up with this intended for XP on my
> machine? Is there a list of downloads from MS that might show me what
> I accidentally downloaded and installed?
> How do I get rid of it?
>
> I've avoided XP because of MS registration policy with it. I just
> don't agree with it and consider it another form of spyware. In
> recent weeks I had been reconsidering because of new hardware, but
> these new methods force another reconsideration.
> Norman

There is NO requirement is XP to register - merely a requirement to
Activate. NO personally identifiable information is stored at MS from the
activation process.
What activation-related data is stored on your PC is eliminated after
120days (IIRC), and is not sent to MS at any time, unless re-activation is
requested within the 120-day period.

Someone has been telling porkies!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Norman" <nthums1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I've avoided XP because of MS registration policy with it. I just don't
> agree with it and consider it another form of spyware.

melerland7

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
I figure the problem and fixed it. I found a web page that gave a copy of ways to fix the problem. I found a combination of the first example and the third works. Running in safe mode to delete the exe file and then to rename the dll file. restarted and it worked.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31281

It's a new spyware that microsoft is running now.

Don't be afraid of XP... MS will soon be retiring all support for 9x... not to mention other software and hardware vendors.

Soon, new software will run only on 2000/XP/Vista... and if you think product activation was a pain in the ass with XP, it will only be worse on Vista. So take the plunge and go for XP.

(Or if you wish to avoid product activation... go with 2000. Much better than ME)