Memory allocation question

I've read that XP will only allow any given application to use up to
two GB of memory. Is this true?

If it is true, is there a way I can configure so it will use more?

The reason for my question is that I want to work with really big
graphic files in PhotoShop, over two GB in size.

I've just built a computer with four GB of RAM.

Thanks.

Larry Jones

How to Use the /USERVA Switch in the Boot.ini File to Tune /3GB Configurations
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316739

Correct your boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2900

Windows XP SP1 May Not Start with the /3GB or /USERVA Switch
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328269&Product=winxp

"Stop" Error Message When You Start Windows XP by Using the /3GB Switch
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829364&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"J. L. Jones" wrote:

| I've read that XP will only allow any given application to use up to
| two GB of memory. Is this true?
|
| If it is true, is there a way I can configure so it will use more?
|
| The reason for my question is that I want to work with really big
| graphic files in PhotoShop, over two GB in size.
|
| I've just built a computer with four GB of RAM.
|
| Thanks.
|
| Larry Jones

Wong answer in this instance. ;-)

--
Walter Clayton - MS MVP(WinXP)
Associate Expert

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> How to Use the /USERVA Switch in the Boot.ini File to Tune /3GB
> Configurations
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316739
>
> Correct your boot.ini file:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2900
>
> Windows XP SP1 May Not Start with the /3GB or /USERVA Switch
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328269&Product=winxp
>
> "Stop" Error Message When You Start Windows XP by Using the /3GB Switch
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829364&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect your PC!

> "J. L. Jones" wrote:
>
> | I've read that XP will only allow any given application to use up to
> | two GB of memory. Is this true?
> |
> | If it is true, is there a way I can configure so it will use more?
> |
> | The reason for my question is that I want to work with really big
> | graphic files in PhotoShop, over two GB in size.
> |
> | I've just built a computer with four GB of RAM.
> |
> | Thanks.
> |
> | Larry Jones

Yes, 2G is the max amount of memory that can be allocated to a given
process. However, Photoshop et. al. have been dealing with larger files than
can be fitted in real/virtual for an extremely long time.

Don't worry about it. Just make sure that you do *not* play games with
virtual memory. In fact it would be best to set it to system managed.

--

"J. L. Jones" <jljones@nwlink.com> wrote in message
> I've read that XP will only allow any given application to use up to
> two GB of memory. Is this true?
>
> If it is true, is there a way I can configure so it will use more?
>
> The reason for my question is that I want to work with really big
> graphic files in PhotoShop, over two GB in size.
>
> I've just built a computer with four GB of RAM.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Larry Jones

Thanks.