boot disk for XP?

I had XP corruption somehow and the PC would not boot.
I took it to technicians who did a XP repair and said that you can make a
boot disk for XP.

Is that true. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?

You can get the bootdisk you need at http://www.bootdisk.com/
Floppy or CD, whichever you need.

If you have a retail copy of XP, the CD is bootable.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I had XP corruption somehow and the PC would not boot.
> I took it to technicians who did a XP repair and said that you can make a
> boot disk for XP.
>
> Is that true. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?

its a legal upgrade version....is that bootable? I tried and it didnt work

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 03:40:05 GMT, "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com>
wrote:

>If you have a retail copy of XP, the CD is bootable.

And if you don't, this website says you can make one out of your
current installation of XP.

http://old.bink.nu/xpbootcd/

jad

bios has to be set to boot from ROM first
> its a legal upgrade version....is that bootable? I tried and it didnt
> work
>
> "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>
>> If you have a retail copy of XP, the CD is bootable.
>> --
>> Cari
>> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>>
>> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I had XP corruption somehow and the PC would not boot.
>>> I took it to technicians who did a XP repair and said that you can make
>>> a boot disk for XP.
>>>
>>> Is that true. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?

yes of course...it was set like that. Like I said. I read the cd but
would not boot from it

"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I had XP corruption somehow and the PC would not boot. I took it
> to technicians who did a XP repair and said that you can make a
> boot disk for XP. Is that true. is there a way to boot the PC
> into XP from a CD disk?

I don't know about boot disks anymore. In my opinion, you need a
disk manager. Formerly, that was PartitionMagic for me. Now,
apparently that will be Partitioned Manager. A disk manager is the
way for an active user to handle Windows.

Good luck.

"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote...

> Is that true. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?

Simply put the XP installation CD into the machine and select Boot from CD
at the menu. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD before HD.

You should get a menu on booting the CD that gives the option to
install/upgrade or boot from CD.

"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote...
> yes of course...it was set like that. Like I said. I read the cd but
> would not boot from it

>> bios has to be set to boot from ROM first

>>> its a legal upgrade version....is that bootable? I tried and it didnt
>>> work

Yes. Just use the XP Installation Disk. It will boot you in to Windows.
Just remember that for this to work, you first have to go into your BIOS and
set your computer's Boot Order to boot from the CD-Rom first, instead of the
harddrive.

--
DaveW

"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I had XP corruption somehow and the PC would not boot.
> I took it to technicians who did a XP repair and said that you can make a
> boot disk for XP.
>
> Is that true. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?

It will be 6 floppies for XP.

Ed\
"Greyfrog" <sbarringer@netpenny.net> wrote in message
> You can get the bootdisk you need at http://www.bootdisk.com/
> Floppy or CD, whichever you need.

JohnS

> Is that true. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?

No. You can make a cd boot disk, but it does not boot
into WinXP .. just into its own OS. There is a program
you can buy which will create a very limited WinXP
OS on a cd boot disk, but I find it to be useless for
anything much.

johns

"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> its a legal upgrade version....is that bootable? I tried and it didnt
> work
>
> "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>
>> If you have a retail copy of XP, the CD is bootable.
>> --
>> Cari
>> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>>
>> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I had XP corruption somehow and the PC would not boot.
>>> I took it to technicians who did a XP repair and said that you can make
>>> a boot disk for XP.
>>>
>>> Is that true. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?

An upgrade version of xp will not self boot you need full version.

thats what I was afraid of......so i need to do onw of the other boot cd
options mentioned
"pudj" <paddy@@pudg..karoo..co..uk> wrote in message

> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> its a legal upgrade version....is that bootable? I tried and it didnt
>> work
>>
>> "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> If you have a retail copy of XP, the CD is bootable.
>>> --
>>> Cari
>>> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>>>
>>> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> An upgrade version of xp will not self boot you need full version.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but the statement appears to be false.

My only copy of XP (Home) is a retail upgrade version (for the USA).

The CD is bootable. As far as I know, its only difference from the full
retail version is that I have to produce "qualifying media" to get it to do
a clean install (rather than an upgrade).

I haven't used the original CD recently, as I have prepared a version with
SP2 "slipstreamed" onto it. (The copy is also bootable.)

In the event that the OP's PC can't boot from its CD drive, it is possible
to download a utility that creates a set of six floppies to begin the XP
installation by booting from the floppy drive:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994

I've never used the boot floppies, though, as the oldest hardware I've
installed XP on supported booting from a CD drive.

"pudj" <paddy@@pudg..karoo..co..uk> wrote in message

> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> its a legal upgrade version....is that bootable? I tried and it didnt
>> work
(snip)

"pudj" <paddy@@pudg..karoo..co..uk> :

>"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> its a legal upgrade version....is that bootable? I tried and it didnt
>> work
>>

>An upgrade version of xp will not self boot you need full version.

That is not true. Retail, OEM and Upgrade versions are all bootable.

trs80 said that he has the CD-Rom set first in the boot priority. Did you
"Hit any key to boot from the CD" when prompted? Is yous CD a regular IDE
model or is it SCSI or external, perhaps?

its ide and its set to boot from the cd
the XP CD is a upgrade for Home version and it wont boot, but the tech was
able to boot with a full up version and get into the repair menu. So i
believe it when its said it wont boot from upgrade version. I guess I will
need to make a boot cd from one of the options mentioned.

In article <flfbe.34089$gV.28901@lakeread02>, trs80 says...

www.bootdisk.com

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

"johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote in message

>> Is that true. is there a way to boot the PC into XP from a CD disk?
>
> No. You can make a cd boot disk, but it does not boot
> into WinXP .. just into its own OS. There is a program
> you can buy which will create a very limited WinXP
> OS on a cd boot disk, but I find it to be useless for
> anything much.
>
> johns
Just go to bootdisk.com and download the XP boot disks for XP Home. The
download will make six floppies, so make sure you have that many handy.

Ed