Non gaming computer advice

I have never built my own computer before, but would like to. My main use
of the computer now is for programming (SQL Server and Visual Studio) Photo
editing (Adobe Photoshop CS) and perhaps a little movie editing (Adobe
Premiere). I never play games on the computer (except for online chess.) A
major objective, other than good power, is that the system be as quiet as
practicable (not necessarily silent, but living 12 hrs a day with the fan
nose is annoying).
Preliminarily, I have come up with the following configuration:
--------
ASUS P5AD2-E Premium $235.00

Antec Sonata $99.00

CrucialCT12864AA53E 1GB (2) $310.00

LGA 775 Pentium 4 640 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache Processor $287.00

ZALMAN Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 775/478/754/939/940, Model
"CNPS7700-CU" -RETAIL $52.00

The Crucial RADEON X300SE 128MB PCI Express -$73 $73.00

Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD2500JD-$131 (2)
$262.00

TOSHIBA 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive Black, Model SD-R5372 BLK W/SW,
OEM $53.00

-----------

I am not wed to either Intel or AMD, just being an old programmer, I am more
familiar with Intel.
Could you please comment on, or suggest possible alternatives that stay
within the price range of less than aprox $1400?
TIA,

Paolo

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:09:26 -0400, "Paolo Pignatelli"
<Paolo@DotNetStore.com> wrote:

>I have never built my own computer before, but would like to. My main use
>of the computer now is for programming (SQL Server and Visual Studio) Photo
>editing (Adobe Photoshop CS) and perhaps a little movie editing (Adobe
>Premiere). I never play games on the computer (except for online chess.) A
>major objective, other than good power, is that the system be as quiet as
>practicable (not necessarily silent, but living 12 hrs a day with the fan
>nose is annoying).
>Preliminarily, I have come up with the following configuration:
>--------
> ASUS P5AD2-E Premium $235.00
>
> Antec Sonata $99.00
>
> CrucialCT12864AA53E 1GB (2) $310.00
>
> LGA 775 Pentium 4 640 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache Processor $287.00
>
> ZALMAN Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 775/478/754/939/940, Model
>"CNPS7700-CU" -RETAIL $52.00
>
> The Crucial RADEON X300SE 128MB PCI Express -$73 $73.00
>
> Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD2500JD-$131 (2)
>$262.00
>
> TOSHIBA 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive Black, Model SD-R5372 BLK W/SW,
>OEM $53.00
>
>-----------
>
>I am not wed to either Intel or AMD, just being an old programmer, I am more
>familiar with Intel.
>Could you please comment on, or suggest possible alternatives that stay
>within the price range of less than aprox $1400?
>TIA,

Looks good to me. No criticism on any of your choices.
As far being a non gaming machine, you're only 1 step away from
it being a decent gaming rig. That being the video card.

Excellent choices IMHO, but two things to consider. The board is for Intel
processors. Prescott CPU's run real hot and cooling solutions can be noisy.
Check with Zalman to be sure it will fit, with what you have in the box. The
board requires a 24 pin power connector (depending on your PCIE graphics
card ) and I don't believe the sonata power supply has one. Lastly the board
doesn't necessarily come with the bios version (1004) that's needed to
support the 640 CPU, so you'd have to upgrade the bios before it will
recognize the CPU. Check here:
http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx These are just
things to be aware of, don't be discouraged by them. HTH
"Justin Case" <jcase@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:09:26 -0400, "Paolo Pignatelli"
> <Paolo@DotNetStore.com> wrote:
>
>>I have never built my own computer before, but would like to. My main use
>>of the computer now is for programming (SQL Server and Visual Studio)
>>Photo
>>editing (Adobe Photoshop CS) and perhaps a little movie editing (Adobe
>>Premiere). I never play games on the computer (except for online chess.)
>>major objective, other than good power, is that the system be as quiet as
>>practicable (not necessarily silent, but living 12 hrs a day with the fan
>>nose is annoying).
>>Preliminarily, I have come up with the following configuration:
>>--------
>> ASUS P5AD2-E Premium $235.00
>>
>> Antec Sonata $99.00
>>
>> CrucialCT12864AA53E 1GB (2) $310.00
>>
>> LGA 775 Pentium 4 640 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache Processor
>> $287.00
>>
>> ZALMAN Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 775/478/754/939/940, Model
>>"CNPS7700-CU" -RETAIL $52.00
>>
>> The Crucial RADEON X300SE 128MB PCI Express -$73 $73.00
>>
>> Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD2500JD-$131
>> (2)
>>$262.00
>>
>> TOSHIBA 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive Black, Model SD-R5372 BLK W/SW,
>>OEM $53.00
>>
>>-----------
>>
>>I am not wed to either Intel or AMD, just being an old programmer, I am
>>more
>>familiar with Intel.
>>Could you please comment on, or suggest possible alternatives that stay
>>within the price range of less than aprox $1400?
>>TIA,
>>
> Looks good to me. No criticism on any of your choices.
> As far being a non gaming machine, you're only 1 step away from
> it being a decent gaming rig. That being the video card.

Thanks, man!

I am an absolute first timer in the build-it-yourself computers, so would
like to avoid too many complications. If it is a software complication,
like a BIOS, then I may be able to handle it, (I remember well loading OSes
onto OS2 1.1..., and for that matter, the first Amigas...) But if it has to
do with power connections, etc...I am not quite so sure, so if you have any
recommendations with a cooler running CPU and board, please let me know.
This is exactly the kind of help I am looking for,
Thanks again,

Paolo
--

Paolo Pignatelli wrote:
> I have never built my own computer before, but would like to. My main use
> of the computer now is for programming (SQL Server and Visual Studio) Photo
> editing (Adobe Photoshop CS) and perhaps a little movie editing (Adobe
> Premiere). I never play games on the computer (except for online chess.) A
> major objective, other than good power, is that the system be as quiet as
> practicable (not necessarily silent, but living 12 hrs a day with the fan
> nose is annoying).
> Preliminarily, I have come up with the following configuration:
> --------
> ASUS P5AD2-E Premium $235.00
>
> Antec Sonata $99.00
>
> CrucialCT12864AA53E 1GB (2) $310.00
>
> LGA 775 Pentium 4 640 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache Processor $287.00
>
> ZALMAN Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 775/478/754/939/940, Model
> "CNPS7700-CU" -RETAIL $52.00
>
> The Crucial RADEON X300SE 128MB PCI Express -$73 $73.00
>
> Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD2500JD-$131 (2)
> $262.00
>
> TOSHIBA 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive Black, Model SD-R5372 BLK W/SW,
> OEM $53.00
>
> -----------
>
> I am not wed to either Intel or AMD, just being an old programmer, I am more
> familiar with Intel.
> Could you please comment on, or suggest possible alternatives that stay
> within the price range of less than aprox $1400?
> TIA,
>
> Paolo

These are not budget busting changes.

Only two things I think you might want to change. I think you'll be
really disappointed with the Crucial X300SE, for about $5 more you can
get an Asus Extreme AX300/TD (Seach for EAX300/TD). Unlike the SE it
offers real dual monitor support (not just you can use a VGA and a DVI
monitor but not at the same time support. It's nice to have for
programming and editing), a 128 bit memory interface (versus 64 bit in
the SE), and it's clocked a little faster. It's well worth the $5
difference, especially since you said you wanted to run Adobe products.

The other change I would make is to get a drive with NCQ support. You
have a 925XE/ICH6R chipset and your board supports it, you might as well
take advantage of it. (I know you are thinking it says SATA-150, yes, it
does, but it's SATA-150 with NCQ support, it's a feature of the chipset
and the drives are backwards compatable.)

Though you wont get the 300MB burst, you can still use the NCQ features
on your board which opens up much better choices in hard drives than the
2500JD you are looking at. I'm partial to Hitachis myself and they make
a quite spiffy T7K250 with NCQ support & it wont break your budget to do
it, it's about the same (if not a little less) than the Western Digital.
They are usually a lot quieter than the WDs as well, but if it's still
too loud you can put them into quiet mode at a cost of about 2MB on read
in a Raid-1).

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100594-2&affiliate=yahoo

You might also consider Seagates 7200.8 with NCQ, and the Maxtor NCQ
(Maxline III series) though I tend to stay away from Maxtors, it's
probably the fasest of the trio.

--Timbertea

Thanks, I think I will go with your advice.

Paolo
--

TRENDING THREADS