add-on front USB connector

Hi,
I'm looking for a front USB connector that plugs into the motherboard
header.

This item (http://www.directron.com/usbfemaleada.html) has the correct plug,
but it's a rear connector and is not long enough to reach to the front of
the case. Even a rear connector with a long (40cm+) cable would be fine, I
could modify it to fit on the front of the case.

Anyone know of any online stores that stock such an item? I'm in Australia,
so a store here would obviously be preferred.

thanks heaps.

matt
7 answers Last reply
More about front connector

    Hi,

    Have you looked at www.frontx.com as someone else mentioned in a
    Hopefully they ship to Australia too....

    Cheers,

    Jonathan.

    Matt Lobegeiger wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm looking for a front USB connector that plugs into the motherboard
    > header.
    >
    > This item (http://www.directron.com/usbfemaleada.html) has the correct plug,
    > but it's a rear connector and is not long enough to reach to the front of
    > the case. Even a rear connector with a long (40cm+) cable would be fine, I
    > could modify it to fit on the front of the case.
    >
    > Anyone know of any online stores that stock such an item? I'm in Australia,
    > so a store here would obviously be preferred.
    >
    > thanks heaps.
    >
    > matt

    > Hi,
    >
    > Have you looked at www.frontx.com as someone else mentioned in a previous post? They certainly have this kind of internal cable. Hopefully they ship to Australia too....
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Jonathan.

    I looked at the Frontx Web page, but it isn't really what I'd want
    to buy. What it does is route your rear plugs to the front of the
    case. That's fine, but what I would need is something that would
    update an older case so that it would give me front media ports. I
    would want something that fits into a 5 1/4 inch bay that gives me
    USB, sound and maybe Fireware plugs that plug directly into my
    motherboard, just as they do on modern cases with front mounted
    media ports.

    "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Have you looked at www.frontx.com as someone else mentioned in a previous
    >> post? They certainly have this kind of internal cable. Hopefully they
    >> ship to Australia too....
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Jonathan.
    >
    > I looked at the Frontx Web page, but it isn't really what I'd want to buy.
    > What it does is route your rear plugs to the front of the case. That's
    > fine, but what I would need is something that would update an older case
    > so that it would give me front media ports. I would want something that
    > fits into a 5 1/4 inch bay that gives me USB, sound and maybe Fireware
    > plugs that plug directly into my motherboard, just as they do on modern
    > cases with front mounted media ports.

    www.frontx.com/order2.html for internal ports that connect to the
    motherboard.

    PWY wrote:

    > "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Have you looked at www.frontx.com as someone else mentioned in a
    >>> Hopefully they ship to Australia too....
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Jonathan.
    >>

    >> I looked at the Frontx Web page, but it isn't really what I'd want to
    >> buy. What it does is route your rear plugs to the front of the case.
    >> That's fine, but what I would need is something that would update an
    >> older case so that it would give me front media ports. I would want
    >> something that fits into a 5 1/4 inch bay that gives me USB, sound and
    >> maybe Fireware plugs that plug directly into my motherboard, just as
    >> they do on modern cases with front mounted media ports.
    >

    > www.frontx.com/order2.html for internal ports that connect to the
    > motherboard.

    Yeah, exactly. They do both internal and external connects. Also for
    different bay sizes. You can pretty much configure anything, and you can
    certainly configure, internally, what was oringinally requested...

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:01:39 GMT, Jonathan Oakley
    <jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    >> www.frontx.com/order2.html for internal ports that connect to the
    >> motherboard.
    >>

    >Yeah, exactly. They do both internal and external connects. Also for
    >different bay sizes. You can pretty much configure anything, and you can
    >certainly configure, internally, what was oringinally requested...

    Don't forget - you could just order an internal cable and use one of your
    existing extra drive bay covers. Just put a hole in the cover, then
    unscrew and attach the port. If you don't want to buy a entire kit.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    I got a dozen sent over from England a while back & still have about half a
    doz left. I just opened a sealed one to stretch the cable out & measure it.
    39 or 40cm......... long enough?
    I used mine like your idea but I undid the screws connecting it to the rear
    plate & like someone else suggested, I fitted mine to the spare floppy bay
    cover. You can still fit a HD to this bay as well. Just move it out a bit.
    Just a VERY important tip......... Depending on your motherboard you might
    have to alter the pin order on the motherboard end. In fact most WILL need
    to change it. Make sure you have a copy of your motherboard manual that
    shows the pinouts.
    The ones I have are currently ....
    -----------
    10 |vcc | vcc | 9
    8 |2- |3- | 7
    6 |2+ |3+ |5
    4 |Gnd|Gnd |3
    2 | | |1

    But you will (might) need to use a sharp item to lift minute tab & switch
    to....

    10 |vcc| |9
    8 |2- |Gnd|7
    6 |2+ |3+ |5
    4 |Gnd|3- |3
    2 | |vcc |1

    Of course the 2 & 3 only refers to USB port number.
    I'm in country SA.
    I reckon about $10 INCLUDING postage?
    bruce9950@@hotmail.com (remove one @ )

    "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:01:39 GMT, Jonathan Oakley
    > <jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>> www.frontx.com/order2.html for internal ports that connect to the
    >>> motherboard.
    >>>

    >>Yeah, exactly. They do both internal and external connects. Also for
    >>different bay sizes. You can pretty much configure anything, and you can
    >>certainly configure, internally, what was oringinally requested...
    >
    > Don't forget - you could just order an internal cable and use one of your
    > existing extra drive bay covers. Just put a hole in the cover, then
    > unscrew and attach the port. If you don't want to buy a entire kit.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
    > http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

    Thanks for the replies guys. Excellent site, exactly what I was after, and
    pretty cheap too (free shipping internationally, can't beat that). I'm gonna
    do as you guys mentioned and modify a 3.5" blank face plate to fit the dual
    usb ports. I've checked out the pin assignments and I don't need to modify
    anything. Thanks for the offer Bruce, appreciate it, but I'd already ordered
    before I read your post.

    thanks again.

    matt

Homebuilt Cases USB Connector Systems