Laptop memory question

I just ordered an HP Pavilion ZV6000 (great deal) (ordered 3, actually).
Anyway, I got 512MB (1 dimm) of ram with it, and I was going to look for
more RAM for it at a later date. I was wondering how much it mattered to
match the capacity of the first dimm. As it has one stick of 512, do I need
a second stick of 512, or could I get a 1Gb stick for a total of 1.5gb?

Btw, the zv6000 uses PC2700 DDR SDRAM SODIMM. The cheapest 1GB stick I've
found is about $150. Anyone know of a place that sells them cheaper? I
don't want a lemon, but I also don't need anything corair style :).

TIA,
Chris
2 answers Last reply
More about laptop memory question

    Chris Martin wrote:
    > I just ordered an HP Pavilion ZV6000 (great deal) (ordered 3, actually).
    > Anyway, I got 512MB (1 dimm) of ram with it, and I was going to look for
    > more RAM for it at a later date. I was wondering how much it mattered to
    > match the capacity of the first dimm. As it has one stick of 512, do I need
    > a second stick of 512, or could I get a 1Gb stick for a total of 1.5gb?
    >
    > Btw, the zv6000 uses PC2700 DDR SDRAM SODIMM. The cheapest 1GB stick I've
    > found is about $150. Anyone know of a place that sells them cheaper? I
    > don't want a lemon, but I also don't need anything corair style :).
    >
    > TIA,
    > Chris

    I don't have a laptop computer, but someone recently told me of their
    computer having only one slot for memory. You might check that out if
    you have not already done so, because it will obviously impact what you do.

    In article <N6-dnY6vNcY6Z_PfRVn-sw@adelphia.com>,
    christopher.martin@REMOVEadelphia.net says...
    > I just ordered an HP Pavilion ZV6000 (great deal) (ordered 3, actually).
    > Anyway, I got 512MB (1 dimm) of ram with it, and I was going to look for
    > more RAM for it at a later date. I was wondering how much it mattered to
    > match the capacity of the first dimm. As it has one stick of 512, do I need
    > a second stick of 512, or could I get a 1Gb stick for a total of 1.5gb?
    >
    > Btw, the zv6000 uses PC2700 DDR SDRAM SODIMM. The cheapest 1GB stick I've
    > found is about $150. Anyone know of a place that sells them cheaper? I
    > don't want a lemon, but I also don't need anything corair style :).
    >
    > TIA,
    > Chris

    Visit www.crucial.com and enter your laptop details in the memory
    upgrade selector. This should tell you what the maximum memory
    allowable is for your laptop.

    --
    Pete Ives

Homebuilt Systems