Laptop memory question

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2005 2:36:51 AM

I just ordered an HP Pavilion ZV6000 (great deal) (ordered 3, actually).
Anyway, I got 512MB (1 dimm) of ram with it, and I was going to look for
more RAM for it at a later date. I was wondering how much it mattered to
match the capacity of the first dimm. As it has one stick of 512, do I need
a second stick of 512, or could I get a 1Gb stick for a total of 1.5gb?

Btw, the zv6000 uses PC2700 DDR SDRAM SODIMM. The cheapest 1GB stick I've
found is about $150. Anyone know of a place that sells them cheaper? I
don't want a lemon, but I also don't need anything corair style :) .

TIA,
Chris

More about : laptop memory question

April 27, 2005 4:48:09 PM

Chris Martin wrote:
> I just ordered an HP Pavilion ZV6000 (great deal) (ordered 3, actually).
> Anyway, I got 512MB (1 dimm) of ram with it, and I was going to look for
> more RAM for it at a later date. I was wondering how much it mattered to
> match the capacity of the first dimm. As it has one stick of 512, do I need
> a second stick of 512, or could I get a 1Gb stick for a total of 1.5gb?
>
> Btw, the zv6000 uses PC2700 DDR SDRAM SODIMM. The cheapest 1GB stick I've
> found is about $150. Anyone know of a place that sells them cheaper? I
> don't want a lemon, but I also don't need anything corair style :) .
>
> TIA,
> Chris

I don't have a laptop computer, but someone recently told me of their
computer having only one slot for memory. You might check that out if
you have not already done so, because it will obviously impact what you do.
April 27, 2005 5:03:43 PM

In article <N6-dnY6vNcY6Z_PfRVn-sw@adelphia.com>,
christopher.martin@REMOVEadelphia.net says...
> I just ordered an HP Pavilion ZV6000 (great deal) (ordered 3, actually).
> Anyway, I got 512MB (1 dimm) of ram with it, and I was going to look for
> more RAM for it at a later date. I was wondering how much it mattered to
> match the capacity of the first dimm. As it has one stick of 512, do I need
> a second stick of 512, or could I get a 1Gb stick for a total of 1.5gb?
>
> Btw, the zv6000 uses PC2700 DDR SDRAM SODIMM. The cheapest 1GB stick I've
> found is about $150. Anyone know of a place that sells them cheaper? I
> don't want a lemon, but I also don't need anything corair style :) .
>
> TIA,
> Chris

Visit www.crucial.com and enter your laptop details in the memory
upgrade selector. This should tell you what the maximum memory
allowable is for your laptop.

--
Pete Ives