avoiding dust build-up

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 2:35:00 AM

Hi again,
Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust from
accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the airflow holes
with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air conditioner or
clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit,
and possibly cause more harm than good.

Anyone tried it or got any other methods?

matt

More about : avoiding dust build

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 2:35:01 AM

"Matt Lobegeiger" <mattl@bmail.com.au> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping
> dust from accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried
> covering the airflow holes with fine mesh-type filter material,
> like the stuff in air conditioner or clothes dryers filters? I'm
> guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit, and possibly
> cause more harm than good.

Some cases come with intake area wire/plastic mesh filters, the
Antec SLK3700AMB for example. It's fine.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 2:35:01 AM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:35:00 +1000 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "Matt Lobegeiger"
<mattl@bmail.com.au> wrote :

>Hi again,
>Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust from
>accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the airflow holes
>with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air conditioner or
>clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit,
>and possibly cause more harm than good.
>
>Anyone tried it or got any other methods?
>
>matt

Many case fans can now have filters,
http://www.cclonline.com/product-search-results.asp
However as another poster does no harm to have a,"Spring clean" and in
fact I highly recommend it as many PC problems come from lack of
internal cleanliness/bad housekeeping.

Tools Required.

Screwdriver to open case if required.

Clean small paint brush for brushing off dust.

Tac Rag
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/STATR/
to pick up dust etc.

Servisol or it's like Isopropanol Switch cleaner for cleaning PCI/AGP
slots and card edge connectors and spraying cable plugs and sockets.

Torch so you can see what you are doing.

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

JAD wrote:

> I believe taking care of things with regular maintenance, in order to
get my
> moneys worth. My 604 MAc and all its scsi array drrives still work
> perfectly.

lol, until recently I still had a 25MHz 68030 Performa 450. It worked
great, but we gave it away to make some room. When we got rid of it, a
few months ago, it must've been almost 15 years old. It was the most
reliable computer in the house though.

It had been working for years in our freezing cold garage, and most
modern computers won't. My old PII 350MHz behaves very strangely in
the garage, even when it's not particularly cold in there. There were
also a few other machines that behaved weird in the garage. The one
we've got in there now occasionally decides it can't find any DLL's
when it's cold, the old PII beeped like mad sometimes. The Mac was
fine though, the only thing that had ever been replaced was the PSU,
when the switch went.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 2:35:01 AM

"Matt Lobegeiger" wrote:
> Hi again,
> Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust from
> accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the airflow
holes
> with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air conditioner or
> clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit,
> and possibly cause more harm than good.
>
> Anyone tried it or got any other methods?

I put a colony of dust mites into my case. While they eat the dust easily
enough, it is a bit of a hassle training them to use the mite box.

Jon
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 2:35:02 AM

In article <le9v619gagr2340a6fr184lm7871n9ke5d@4ax.com>,
Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:35:00 +1000 If I have seen farther it is
>because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "Matt Lobegeiger"
><mattl@bmail.com.au> wrote :
>
>>Hi again,
>>Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust from
>>accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the airflow holes
>>with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air conditioner or
>>clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit,
>>and possibly cause more harm than good.
>>
>>Anyone tried it or got any other methods?
>>
>>matt
>
>Many case fans can now have filters,
>http://www.cclonline.com/product-search-results.asp
>However as another poster does no harm to have a,"Spring clean" and in
>fact I highly recommend it as many PC problems come from lack of
>internal cleanliness/bad housekeeping.
>
>Tools Required.
>
>Screwdriver to open case if required.
>
>Clean small paint brush for brushing off dust.
>
>Tac Rag
>http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/STATR/
>to pick up dust etc.
>
>Servisol or it's like Isopropanol Switch cleaner for cleaning PCI/AGP
>slots and card edge connectors and spraying cable plugs and sockets.
>
>Torch so you can see what you are doing.
>
>HTH :)

IMO taking things apart just for cleaning is asking for trouble and I
wouldn't spray anything into the mobo of a healthy system. I use a
case filter and I find that dust buildup can wait to the next system
upgrade and get blown out then.
--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 2:35:02 AM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:30:52 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "Jon Danniken"
<jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote :

>"Matt Lobegeiger" wrote:
>> Hi again,
>> Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust from
>> accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the airflow
>holes
>> with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air conditioner or
>> clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit,
>> and possibly cause more harm than good.
>>
>> Anyone tried it or got any other methods?
>
>I put a colony of dust mites into my case. While they eat the dust easily
>enough, it is a bit of a hassle training them to use the mite box.
>
>Jon

LOL :D

--

John Doe wrote:
> "Matt Lobegeiger" <mattl@bmail.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping
>> dust from accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried
>> covering the airflow holes with fine mesh-type filter material,
>> like the stuff in air conditioner or clothes dryers filters? I'm
>> guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit, and possibly
>> cause more harm than good.
>
> Some cases come with intake area wire/plastic mesh filters, the
> Antec SLK3700AMB for example. It's fine.

filters slow it a bit, but you still have to clean every once in a while.
having the system on the floor picks up more dust than say on the desktop.

but you know this, right john? you know everything
April 28, 2005 2:35:03 AM

{{{Panix recovers from domain hijack
By John Leyden
Published Monday 17th January 2005 16:19 GMT
Updated The hijack of its domain name on Friday (14 January) has thrown the
operations of a New York ISP into turmoil. Panix staff worked around the
clock over the weekend to recover services after the rug was pulled out from
under its business.
"Panix's main domain name, panix.com, has been hijacked by parties unknown,"
the ISP said in a statement
We found a hairball in the works and with some cleaning all is up and
running..................}}}}}

> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

> IMO taking things apart just for cleaning is asking for trouble and I
> wouldn't spray anything into the mobo of a healthy system. I use a
> case filter and I find that dust buildup can wait to the next system
> upgrade and get blown out then.
> --

If you can get away with it....

seems to me that 10 pounds of cat/dog hair, bird feathers, and vairious
other microbes that make there way into my case in a years time would just
about fill the darn thing up by the time I upgrade. Whilest repairing a PC
in a hospital, i discovered....well you don't want to work on machines that
are used in hospitals.

Live in florida, near the Gulf, computer is in the basement? Then once a
year I would clean everything as descibed by Shep, ''If'' this is a
appliance that you rely on and is more than a conversation piece. Certainly
I wouldn't expect my mom to tear apart her machine to clean it, but I
wouldn't tell her not to do it or have it done if the thing is filthy.

I believe taking care of things with regular maintenance, in order to get my
moneys worth. My 604 MAc and all its scsi array drrives still work
perfectly. My truck has 320,000 miles on it. My desk is from 1901 and the
drawers still work.

Its not for everyone to do themselves, but maintenance shouldn't be ignored.

news:D 4oav5$ho9$1@panix5.panix.com...
> In article <le9v619gagr2340a6fr184lm7871n9ke5d@4ax.com>,
> Shep© <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:35:00 +1000 If I have seen farther it is
>>because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "Matt Lobegeiger"
>><mattl@bmail.com.au> wrote :
>>
>>>Hi again,
>>>Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust from
>>>accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the airflow
>>>holes
>>>with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air conditioner or
>>>clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a
>>>bit,
>>>and possibly cause more harm than good.
>>>
>>>Anyone tried it or got any other methods?
>>>
>>>matt
>>
>>Many case fans can now have filters,
>>http://www.cclonline.com/product-search-results.asp
>>However as another poster does no harm to have a,"Spring clean" and in
>>fact I highly recommend it as many PC problems come from lack of
>>internal cleanliness/bad housekeeping.
>>
>>Tools Required.
>>
>>Screwdriver to open case if required.
>>
>>Clean small paint brush for brushing off dust.
>>
>>Tac Rag
>>http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/STATR/
>>to pick up dust etc.
>>
>>Servisol or it's like Isopropanol Switch cleaner for cleaning PCI/AGP
>>slots and card edge connectors and spraying cable plugs and sockets.
>>
>>Torch so you can see what you are doing.
>>
>>HTH :)
>>

> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
April 28, 2005 2:35:03 AM

news:D 4oav5$ho9$1@panix5.panix.com...
> In article <le9v619gagr2340a6fr184lm7871n9ke5d@4ax.com>,
> IMO taking things apart just for cleaning is asking for trouble and I
> wouldn't spray anything into the mobo of a healthy system. I use a
> case filter and I find that dust buildup can wait to the next system
> upgrade and get blown out then.
> --
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

If you use a dust filter you should clean it at least every few months. If
you let it get clogged up and wait until your next upgrade to do the
cleaning then it is blocking the airflow and is of not much use at all. When
I worked in printing we cleaned the air filters on our printing press
compressors weekly.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 4:21:38 AM

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message

> Live in florida, near the Gulf, computer is in the basement?

JAD, no one in Florida even knows what a basement is,
let alone *have* one. Florida is built on a swamp, and digging
a foundation will hit water. They can't even dig a crawl space!
So, houses in Florida are nothing but glorified garages.
A frame on a slab of concrete.

(owner with full basement, built in 1919, Illinois)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 6:43:51 AM

Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:
> John Doe wrote:

>> Some cases come with intake area wire/plastic mesh filters, the
>> Antec SLK3700AMB for example. It's fine.
>
> Except that with the SLK3700AMB, the front panel has a hole in the
> bottom by which air can bypass the mesh filter.

A piece of packaging tape easily/neatly solves that problem.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 6:46:47 AM

"old john" <jonbrookes@nospamntlworld.com> :

>> It keeps the worst of the dust out of the chasis. When I open the machine
>> up I blow dust out with a can of gas.

I find that the dust filters are more trouble than they are worth-- better
to periodicaly open up the case and clean it out.
>pity you couldn`t blow dubbya out with a can of gas lol

The majority of Americans do not agree with you.
>> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>>
>> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
>
>I would have voted for Al, problem is I`m English, and they wouldn`t let me.
>best wishes..J
That's a good thing. Maybe you should keep your nose (and crooked teeth)
out of other's business.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 6:54:51 AM

"sbb78247" <sbb78247@gmail.com> wrote:

> you know everything

you like that
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 11:13:03 AM

>>Hi again,
>>> Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust from
>>> accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the airflow
>
> holes
>
>>> with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air conditioner or
>>> clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit,
>>> and possibly cause more harm than good.
>>>
>>> Anyone tried it or got any other methods?
>

> I put a colony of dust mites into my case. While they eat the dust easily
> enough, it is a bit of a hassle training them to use the mite box.
>
> Jon

A worthy solution. But what about this? Just point all the fans so
that they blow air from the inside to the outside. That way, no
new air can get into the case, and when the dust that's inside to
begin with is all blown out, the case will stay perfectly clean
forever. Somehow I sense a logical flaw in this plan, but why let
logic interfere with its sheer elegance?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 5:06:05 PM

"Al Smith" wrote:
> Jon Danniken wrote:
>
> > I put a colony of dust mites into my case. While they eat the dust
easily
> > enough, it is a bit of a hassle training them to use the mite box.
> >

> A worthy solution. But what about this? Just point all the fans so
> that they blow air from the inside to the outside. That way, no
> new air can get into the case, and when the dust that's inside to
> begin with is all blown out, the case will stay perfectly clean
> forever. Somehow I sense a logical flaw in this plan, but why let
> logic interfere with its sheer elegance?

I love it!

Jon
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2005 7:02:30 PM

"Matt Lobegeiger" <mattl@bmail.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi again,
> Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust from
> accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the airflow
> holes
> with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air conditioner or
> clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit,
> and possibly cause more harm than good.
>
> Anyone tried it or got any other methods?
>
> matt

I use Scotch Bright, the very course grade for filters and it works fine and
is washable. Don't get the fine grade because it is too restrictive. You can
also cut AC filters to size and they work good too but don't like
washing......:-).

Ed
April 28, 2005 9:25:06 PM

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:35:00 +1000, "Matt Lobegeiger"
<mattl@bmail.com.au> wrote:

> stopping dust from
>accumulating inside their cases.

I have have all my 7 fans running on 5V, front fan hole
filtered with a piece few layers of nylon (lady) stocking, all
unnecessary holes closed with very good AirFlow thru case & slightly
positive pressure inside case.
Now it needs cleaning inside every 2y & once a year cleaning
the "filter" (few times less than before). You can see my setup from
inside on my site; maybe you will get some ideas ...
--
Regards , SPAJKY ®
mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:02:30 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants "Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com>
wrote :

>I use Scotch Bright, the very course grade for filters and it works fine and
>is washable. Don't get the fine grade because it is too restrictive. You can
>also cut AC filters to size and they work good too but don't like
>washing......:-).

If this is a personal hygiene statement I find it a little harsh and
some what bizarre :D

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email pds@OBVIOUSpartybombe.de
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :o )
May 1, 2005 12:38:58 PM

got a picture of that?

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> Al Smith wrote:

> DO NOT try that! I set up a system with several fans all blowing out. The
> pressure on the inside was reduced to the extent that atmospheric pressure
> crushed the case like a beer can.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2005 3:41:19 PM

In article <kK6de.29787$Jg7.9090@fe03.lga>,
JAD <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote:
>got a picture of that?
>

>"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
>> Al Smith wrote:
>

>> DO NOT try that! I set up a system with several fans all blowing out. The
>> pressure on the inside was reduced to the extent that atmospheric pressure
>> crushed the case like a beer can.

Ya gotta stop building systems out of beer cans.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
May 1, 2005 9:05:50 PM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 08:21:57 GMT, Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com>
had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>Al Smith wrote:
>
>>> I put a colony of dust mites into my case. While they eat the dust
>>> easily
>>> enough, it is a bit of a hassle training them to use the mite box.
>>>
>>> Jon
>>

>> A worthy solution. But what about this? Just point all the fans so that
>> they blow air from the inside to the outside. That way, no new air can
>> get into the case, and when the dust that's inside to begin with is all
>> blown out, the case will stay perfectly clean forever. Somehow I sense a
>> logical flaw in this plan, but why let logic interfere with its sheer
>> elegance?
>
>DO NOT try that! I set up a system with several fans all blowing out.
>The pressure on the inside was reduced to the extent that atmospheric
>pressure crushed the case like a beer can.

That's easy to fix, just increase the power to the case's structural
integrity field.

Stephen

a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2005 10:14:28 PM

Matt Lobegeiger writes:

> Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust from
> accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the airflow holes
> with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air conditioner or
> clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit,
> and possibly cause more harm than good.

I've been considering trying fine nylon stockings, since the close weave
of very fine thread would help to stop dust particles while minimizing
obstruction of the airflow. However, I haven't gotten around to buying
some nylons to try this out (I don't know anything about nylons, so I'm
not sure which type or brand would have the ultrafine weave that would
presumably work best in this capacity). I figure a square of the nylon
fabric would fit nicely in front of the fan, and every so often I could
just throw it away and replace it with a new square of fabric; a single
pair of nylons might thus last for a very long time.

a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2005 10:14:29 PM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 18:14:28 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I've been considering trying fine nylon stockings, since the close weave
>of very fine thread would help to stop dust particles while minimizing
>obstruction of the airflow. However, I haven't gotten around to buying
>some nylons to try this out (I don't know anything about nylons, so I'm
>not sure which type or brand would have the ultrafine weave that would
>presumably work best in this capacity). I figure a square of the nylon
>fabric would fit nicely in front of the fan, and every so often I could
>just throw it away and replace it with a new square of fabric; a single
>pair of nylons might thus last for a very long time.

I've used nylons as an air filter. Don't know what sheerness they
were, just "borrowed" a pair from the lady of the house. They weren't
the thick kind though. I would guess just normal everyday pantyhose
for work etc. Nothing sexy.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2005 10:20:54 PM

Al Smith writes:

> A worthy solution. But what about this? Just point all the fans so
> that they blow air from the inside to the outside. That way, no
> new air can get into the case, and when the dust that's inside to
> begin with is all blown out, the case will stay perfectly clean
> forever. Somehow I sense a logical flaw in this plan, but why let
> logic interfere with its sheer elegance?

It's not a bad idea, if the incoming air is moving very slowly (through
a large number of openings in the case, for example). If you can force
the incoming air through baffles first, that would work even better.
The idea is to make sure that incoming air is moving too slowly to carry
much in the way of dust (the more slowly air moves, the more the dust it
contains settles out due to gravity). Putting filters over the openings
would help still more. So you have slow-moving incoming air that isn't
carrying much dust, plus filters that will trap what remains (and since
the air is moving slowly past large filters, they'll trap quite a bit).

The drawback is that you don't have a lot of control over airflow in the
case. Cool air enters and cools the case overall, but hot spots may not
be addressed in this way adequately.

a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2005 10:22:41 PM

Matt writes:

> DO NOT try that! I set up a system with several fans all blowing out.
> The pressure on the inside was reduced to the extent that atmospheric
> pressure crushed the case like a beer can.

Sounds like some pretty sturdy fans, or a large and/or delicate case.

It's true that relatively small differences in pressure can have wild
effects, though. I once heard about a design for some restrooms with
exhaust fans that were too powerful: they had to be changed because with
the airflow rating they had the restroom would effectively be turned
into a high-altitude chamber!

a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2005 10:24:48 PM

Spajky writes:

> I have have all my 7 fans running on 5V, front fan hole
> filtered with a piece few layers of nylon (lady) stocking ...

I've been thinking of trying stockings, too. What type of stocking do
you use for the best filtering effect?

a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2005 12:32:38 AM

Stephen writes:

> That's easy to fix, just increase the power to the case's structural
> integrity field.

If you lower the pressure in the case by only 3%, it will probably
collapse under the several hundred pounds of pressure that will be
pushing on it from the outside.

a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2005 10:36:27 AM

Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:
> John Doe wrote:
>> Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:

>>>Except that with the SLK3700AMB, the front panel has a hole in the
>>>bottom by which air can bypass the mesh filter.
>>

>> A piece of packaging tape easily/neatly solves that problem.
>
> For maximum air flow, it's better to: 1) remove the stock mesh filter
> from the plastic front panel, and 2) tape a piece of furnace filter over
> the fan vent holes in the metal wall of the case.

What equipment do you use to measure air flow?

> From: Matt <matt themattfella.zzzz.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: avoiding dust build-up
> Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 08:13:29 GMT

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2005 12:25:14 PM

Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:
> John Doe wrote:
>> Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:

>>>For maximum air flow, it's better to: 1) remove the stock mesh
>>>filter from the plastic front panel, and 2) tape a piece of
>>>furnace filter over the fan vent holes in the metal wall of the
>>>case.
>>

>> What equipment do you use to measure air flow?

> What is the point of copying my header?

What equipment do you use to measure air flow?

If you want maximum air flow, why did you complain about the hole
in the front panel?

Why do high-efficiency air air-conditioners use mesh filters?

Why do you keep changing the subject?

> From: Matt <matt themattfella.zzzz.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: avoiding dust build-up
> Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 08:04:41 GMT

May 2, 2005 2:40:59 PM

> John Doe wrote:
> > Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:

> >>For maximum air flow, it's better to: 1) remove the stock mesh filter
> >>from the plastic front panel, and 2) tape a piece of furnace filter over
> >>the fan vent holes in the metal wall of the case.
> >

> > What equipment do you use to measure air flow?

> >>From: Matt <matt themattfella.zzzz.com>
> >>Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> >>Subject: Re: avoiding dust build-up
> >>Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 08:13:29 GMT
> >>

> What is the point of copying my header?

Its a homosexual love ritual....
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 3, 2005 2:41:15 AM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 17:05:50 GMT, Stephen wrote

> <snip> just increase the power to the case's structural integrity
> field.

On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:32:38 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote

> <snip> it will probably collapse under the several hundred pounds
> of pressure <snip>

I think Stephen meant it as a joke. Note the Star Trek
reference? Structural integrity field.

-- Wilhelm Ralf
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 3, 2005 5:08:39 AM

A persistent troll making fun of my alleged sexual preference.

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote:

> From: "JAD" <kapasitor earthcharter.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: avoiding dust build-up
> Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 10:40:59 -0700
>

> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
>> John Doe wrote:

>> > What equipment do you use to measure air flow?

>> What is the point of copying my header?
>

> Its a homosexual love ritual....

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 3, 2005 11:25:19 PM

A troll making fun of my alleged sexual preference.

Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:

> From: Matt <matt themattfella.zzzz.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: avoiding dust build-up
> Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 15:31:00 GMT
>
> JAD wrote:
>> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message

>> ail

>> Gecko/20050328 Fedora/1.7.6-1.2.5

>> <Xns964554130F51wisdomfolly@207.115.63.158>
>> <CwSbe.318$%q5.304@news02.roc.ny>
>> <Xns9645DD0EA5595wisdomfolly@207.115.63.158>

>> process your complaint properly.

>>>What is the point of copying my header?
>>

>> Its a homosexual love ritual....
>
> Yeah, seems like he loves giving header.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2005 8:01:15 AM

I had to setup a computer in an office in a wood shop, once. It
was a very high dust environment. I ended up putting the computer
inside a sealed cabinet, with the p/s exhaust ducted out of the
cabinet and an intake duct that terminated in a large bag from an
upright vacuum cleaner. With the entire surface area of the vacuum
cleaner bag as a filter, there was adequate air flow for cooling
as long as the bag was replaced monthly. The only time any dust
got into the computer was on those occasions when they had to open
the cabinet to use a floppy drive or replace the bag.

regards,
Joe
March 2, 2014 8:07:07 PM

Try using compressed air