replacing PDC and BDC

As an interim step before moving to Win2K/Win2K3/AD I am replacing the hardware that my present NT 4.0 domain controllers run on. Can I simply install NT 4.0 on the two new servers, designating them as BDCs, then promote one to PDC and phase out the old DCs? Or do I need install one as the PDC when I load the OS and can this be done without down time on the domain as a whole?
Thanks!

(please copy to my e-mail address also - rll@meadwestvaco.com)

> Can I simply install NT 4.0 on the two new servers, designating them as
BDCs, then promote one to PDC and phase out the old DCs?

Yes.

>can this be done without down time on the domain as a whole?

I would do it on a weekend.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"rll" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As an interim step before moving to Win2K/Win2K3/AD I am replacing the
hardware that my present NT 4.0 domain controllers run on. Can I simply
install NT 4.0 on the two new servers, designating them as BDCs, then
promote one to PDC and phase out the old DCs? Or do I need install one as
the PDC when I load the OS and can this be done without down time on the
domain as a whole?
> Thanks!
>
> (please copy to my e-mail address also - rll@meadwestvaco.com)

You must install them as a BDC as if you were to chose PDC you would create
a new domain. Your plan is correct as you describe it.