Help!-Reinstalling a used hard drive...

If a hard drive (Western Dig 60 or 80GB, 7200rpm, with WinXP or 2000) that
was in a previous machine (AMD proc) for a short while and then taken out,
was later installed in a completely different machine (Pentium proc), would
it fail to boot? If so, would it be possible to correct the problem, and
from within that 2nd machine, not knowing the specs of the first machine?

The big question: How?

Thanks for any help on this...

TD

jad

It may or may not boot.... repair install of XP after a boot from XP CD

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> It may or may not boot.... repair install of XP after a boot from XP CD

Thanks for the quick reply, JAD. Would I be unable to access previous data
while booting from the XP CD?

jad

access in what way? What will happen is XP will keep your software and
settings (for the most part) in tact and will setup the system to work with
the chipset and features of the new board.

"TD" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message news:DZRbe.25011$Ow2.16352@fe06.lga...

> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> It may or may not boot.... repair install of XP after a boot from XP CD
>>

> Thanks for the quick reply, JAD. Would I be unable to access previous data
> while booting from the XP CD?

It would NOT successfully boot in a different machine with a different
motherboard, and devices.

--
DaveW

"TD" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message news:IOPbe.22760$Jg7.16882@fe03.lga...
> If a hard drive (Western Dig 60 or 80GB, 7200rpm, with WinXP or 2000) that
> was in a previous machine (AMD proc) for a short while and then taken out,
> was later installed in a completely different machine (Pentium proc),
> would
> it fail to boot? If so, would it be possible to correct the problem, and
> from within that 2nd machine, not knowing the specs of the first machine?
>
> The big question: How?
>
> Thanks for any help on this...
>
> TD

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I recently had a similar problem, specifically with a WD drive. It turns out
WD drives are really picky about the master-slave jumper settings. If the
drive came from a two drive system and was the master or slave it is
important to remove the jumper in a single drive system. If the jumper is
set to master in a single drive system, the BIOS will see the drive fine,
but the system will not boot.

Also note if the user on the computer where the drive was originally
installed chose to "make files private" in the My Documents folder you may
not be able to get them back.

Dan

TD wrote:
> If a hard drive (Western Dig 60 or 80GB, 7200rpm, with WinXP or 2000) that
> was in a previous machine (AMD proc) for a short while and then taken out,
> was later installed in a completely different machine (Pentium proc), would
> it fail to boot? If so, would it be possible to correct the problem, and
> from within that 2nd machine, not knowing the specs of the first machine?
>
> The big question: How?
>
> Thanks for any help on this...
>
> TD

Even if it booted you couldn't be sure it was configured properly. Do a
repair install. Note, this is not the first set of options you get when
booting the XP CD. I.E. not 'repair console' or trying to repair from a
repair disk. Say no to that screen and go on as if doing a fresh install.

At that point it will find an existing XP installation and ask if you want
to repair it (or do a fresh install over it). Chose yes to repair.

It looks like a fresh install but will save the existing settings.

After the repair the system will be reset to the service pack level of the
CD, since that's what you're installing from, so if you had later service
packs installed you'll need to redo them, as well as Internet Explorer
service packs and/or updates.

If your XP CD is an original issue and you had SP1 or SP2 installed later
you'll get a lot of 'installer' messages telling you it's trying to
reinstall things. Ignore them and cancel. It's trying to 'fix' the fact
that the service pack files are no longer installed, which it can't, of
course. Simply reinstall the service packs and the installer problems with
automagically vanish as the missing files will no longer be missing and,
so, not need 'fixing'.

It's a good idea to download the 'for IT Professionals' full version of the
service pack files before hand so if there is a problem accessing the
internet after the initial repair, and before the service pack files are
redone, that you have the service packs already there and handy.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:43:58 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "TD" <blah@blah.com>
wrote :

>Thanks Anna-- would a 'repair install' involve losing all data already
>existing on the drive from installation in the previous machine?
>And you're correct- I *am* unfamiliar with it, (like many things in my
>life, lol!). But never afraid to try...

and your data will be intact :p

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Well, what I mean is, open up any previously created files. Will any of
those remain after a repair install?

Thanks for your help, JAD.

> access in what way? What will happen is XP will keep your software and
> settings (for the most part) in tact and will setup the system to work
with
> the chipset and features of the new board.
>

> "TD" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> >> It may or may not boot.... repair install of XP after a boot from XP CD
> >>

> > Thanks for the quick reply, JAD. Would I be unable to access previous
data
> > while booting from the XP CD?

AND don't forget to tell the original poster that you will have to reinstall
quite a few of the programs because it replaces ALL the registry entries.
Also emails & watched items in newsgroups.
All your program entries in your program list will be gone. (you can save
the folder & replace it later)
Some programs will need re registering.
Be warned.
I have done it but never again. You are better off if you have the ability
to slave it & back up or save everything possible & do a new install.

"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
> TD wrote:
>> If a hard drive (Western Dig 60 or 80GB, 7200rpm, with WinXP or 2000)
>> that
>> was in a previous machine (AMD proc) for a short while and then taken
>> out,
>> was later installed in a completely different machine (Pentium proc),
>> would
>> it fail to boot? If so, would it be possible to correct the problem, and
>> from within that 2nd machine, not knowing the specs of the first machine?
>>
>> The big question: How?
>>
>> Thanks for any help on this...
>>
>> TD
>>

> Even if it booted you couldn't be sure it was configured properly. Do a
> repair install. Note, this is not the first set of options you get when
> booting the XP CD. I.E. not 'repair console' or trying to repair from a
> repair disk. Say no to that screen and go on as if doing a fresh install.
>
> At that point it will find an existing XP installation and ask if you want
> to repair it (or do a fresh install over it). Chose yes to repair.
>
> It looks like a fresh install but will save the existing settings.
>
> After the repair the system will be reset to the service pack level of the
> CD, since that's what you're installing from, so if you had later service
> packs installed you'll need to redo them, as well as Internet Explorer
> service packs and/or updates.
>
> If your XP CD is an original issue and you had SP1 or SP2 installed later
> you'll get a lot of 'installer' messages telling you it's trying to
> reinstall things. Ignore them and cancel. It's trying to 'fix' the fact
> that the service pack files are no longer installed, which it can't, of
> course. Simply reinstall the service packs and the installer problems with
> automagically vanish as the missing files will no longer be missing and,
> so, not need 'fixing'.
>
> It's a good idea to download the 'for IT Professionals' full version of
> the service pack files before hand so if there is a problem accessing the
> internet after the initial repair, and before the service pack files are
> redone, that you have the service packs already there and handy.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

jad

nope should not have done that at all

BruceM wrote:

> AND don't forget to tell the original poster that you will have to reinstall
> quite a few of the programs because it replaces ALL the registry entries.
> Also emails & watched items in newsgroups.
> All your program entries in your program list will be gone. (you can save
> the folder & replace it later)
> Some programs will need re registering.

I didn't tell him those things because they are not true. Not a one.

> Be warned.
> I have done it but never again.

You may 'think' you did it but you apparently did the wrong thing because
none of the 'problems' you listed happen with a repair re-install, if done
properly.

> You are better off if you have the ability
> to slave it & back up or save everything possible & do a new install.

That will, of course, ensure the things you listed happen.

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>TD wrote:
>>
>>>If a hard drive (Western Dig 60 or 80GB, 7200rpm, with WinXP or 2000)
>>>that
>>>was in a previous machine (AMD proc) for a short while and then taken
>>>out,
>>>was later installed in a completely different machine (Pentium proc),
>>>would
>>>it fail to boot? If so, would it be possible to correct the problem, and
>>>from within that 2nd machine, not knowing the specs of the first machine?
>>>
>>>The big question: How?
>>>
>>>Thanks for any help on this...
>>>
>>>TD
>>>

>>Even if it booted you couldn't be sure it was configured properly. Do a
>>repair install. Note, this is not the first set of options you get when
>>booting the XP CD. I.E. not 'repair console' or trying to repair from a
>>repair disk. Say no to that screen and go on as if doing a fresh install.
>>
>>At that point it will find an existing XP installation and ask if you want
>>to repair it (or do a fresh install over it). Chose yes to repair.
>>
>>It looks like a fresh install but will save the existing settings.
>>
>>After the repair the system will be reset to the service pack level of the
>>CD, since that's what you're installing from, so if you had later service
>>packs installed you'll need to redo them, as well as Internet Explorer
>>service packs and/or updates.
>>
>>If your XP CD is an original issue and you had SP1 or SP2 installed later
>>you'll get a lot of 'installer' messages telling you it's trying to
>>reinstall things. Ignore them and cancel. It's trying to 'fix' the fact
>>that the service pack files are no longer installed, which it can't, of
>>course. Simply reinstall the service packs and the installer problems with
>>automagically vanish as the missing files will no longer be missing and,
>>so, not need 'fixing'.
>>
>>It's a good idea to download the 'for IT Professionals' full version of
>>the service pack files before hand so if there is a problem accessing the
>>internet after the initial repair, and before the service pack files are
>>redone, that you have the service packs already there and handy.
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

"BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> AND don't forget to tell the original poster that you will have to
reinstall
> quite a few of the programs because it replaces ALL the registry entries.
> Also emails & watched items in newsgroups.
> All your program entries in your program list will be gone. (you can save
> the folder & replace it later)
> Some programs will need re registering.
> Be warned.
> I have done it but never again. You are better off if you have the ability
> to slave it & back up or save everything possible & do a new install.

But to do that, Bruce, wouldn't it have to be able to be booted in the 2nd
machine?

Good to hear. Thanks for the detailed responses, David. My concern was not
losing previously created document and/or image files. I can't remember
exactly what was on the drive, but I'm pretty sure there are at least a few
things I'd like to save. So, that's really the core of my question-- besides
the programs, will any existing files remain after a repair install?

> [...]
> >>internet after the initial repair, and before the service pack files are
> >>redone, that you have the service packs already there and handy.
> >>

>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F3
0-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

"BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> AND don't forget to tell the original poster that you will have to
> reinstall quite a few of the programs because it replaces ALL the registry
> entries.
> Also emails & watched items in newsgroups.
> All your program entries in your program list will be gone. (you can save
> the folder & replace it later)
> Some programs will need re registering.
> Be warned.
> I have done it but never again. You are better off if you have the ability
> to slave it & back up or save everything possible & do a new install.

I have done many in place repair installs and have never had registry
changes for any programs. The only program I have problems at all with is
Outlook and I always follow a repair of XP with a repair of Office XP and
that takes a couple of minutes and fixes the Outlook problem. I use Outlook
as my mail and news handler and my wife uses Outlook Express for mail and
news and after an XP repair the Outlook newsreader combines with Outlook
Express as default (which is normal since it IS Outlook Express actually). A
repair of Office XP separates the two and I don't retrieve her mail
everytime I open Outlook newsreader. The whole idea of the repair option is
to save all those settings in the registry so you don't have to reinstall
programs. Outside of the above little glitch I have never had any other
problems doing a repair install.

Ed

TD wrote:

> Good to hear. Thanks for the detailed responses, David. My concern was not
> losing previously created document and/or image files. I can't remember
> exactly what was on the drive, but I'm pretty sure there are at least a few
> things I'd like to save. So, that's really the core of my question-- besides
> the programs, will any existing files remain after a repair install?

Yes, existing data files will remain. However, as with any major
manipulation of the disk it's a good idea to backup important data before
the operation.

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>BruceM wrote:
>>

>>>AND don't forget to tell the original poster that you will have to
>
> reinstall
>
>>>quite a few of the programs because it replaces ALL the registry
>
> entries.
>
>>>Also emails & watched items in newsgroups.
>>>All your program entries in your program list will be gone. (you can
>
> save
>
>>>the folder & replace it later)
>>>Some programs will need re registering.
>>
>>I didn't tell him those things because they are not true. Not a one.
>>

>>>Be warned.
>>>I have done it but never again.
>>
>>You may 'think' you did it but you apparently did the wrong thing because
>>none of the 'problems' you listed happen with a repair re-install, if done
>>properly.
>>

>>>You are better off if you have the ability
>>>to slave it & back up or save everything possible & do a new install.
>>
>>That will, of course, ensure the things you listed happen.
>>

>>>"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message

> and

> machine?

> install.

> want

> the

> service

> later

> with

> the

>>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F3
>
> 0-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

End of last summer and into fall I had a board with failing capacitors that
gave me one large set of file corruptions after another every few weeks...
pointing to all sorts of mysterious issues that did not exist (real hair
puller that suggests you may not ever want to own a K7S5A). I ended up doing
5 or 7 repair installs and standing upgrades and never had a single issue
with programs that did not work and I've got a *lot* of programs of many
many varieties and ages.

I would get the Service Pack disk, though, as I had to go all the way back
to my original release version every time. Some minor customizations with
some appearances were lost but they were insignificant.

Not being an expert, though, I guess anything is possible.