SID Duplication Detection On A Network

Hello

We are running a large network. Around 2500 computers

Currently we are running Windows NT 4.0 domain controllers.

We are looking to upgrade those to windows 2000 active directory domain controllers.

However, we have been told that do to our disk cloning software we use. We need to eliminate any duplicate SIDs we have on our network before we do so.

But, we never recorded what computers where cloned, so we have no idea what computers have duplicate SID’s and what don’t

Our problem is that we are a health care organization, meaning we can’t down any of our servers or reboot many of or computers very often. So we can’t go to every computer to check.

So, we are looking for way to detect duplicate SID’s on our network.

Thanks

Lundrog
5 answers Last reply
More about duplication detection network

    I would look into an NT resource kit utility called
    getsid.exe and a utility called Newsids. You should
    be able to compare the SIDS and change them if
    need be with these utilities.

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/newsid.shtml

    "lundrog" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > SID Duplication Detection On A Network
    >
    > Hello
    >
    > We are running a large network. Around 2500 computers
    >
    > Currently we are running Windows NT 4.0 domain controllers.
    >
    > We are looking to upgrade those to windows 2000 active directory
    domain controllers.

    > However, we have been told that do to our disk cloning software we
    use. We need to eliminate any duplicate SIDs we have on our network
    before we do so.

    > But, we never recorded what computers where cloned, so we have no idea
    what computers have duplicate SID's and what don't

    > Our problem is that we are a health care organization, meaning we can'
    t down any of our servers or reboot many of or computers very often. So
    we can't go to every computer to check.

    > So, we are looking for way to detect duplicate SID's on our network.

    Would you have to know all the computer names on the domain to do that? I was hoping to find a way to search through the network, or get the info off the domain controler and get all the computers SIDs that way.

    Thanks

    lundrog
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    No. From a dos prompt you can run net view which
    will give you a list of computers active on your network.

    "lundrog" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Would you have to know all the computer names on the domain to do
    that? I was hoping to find a way to search through the network, or get
    the info off the domain controler and get all the computers SIDs that
    way.

    > Thanks
    >

    > lundrog
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Does that only work for computers running windows 2000 or xp? or any windows os?

    ----- Michael Giorgio - MS MVP wrote: -----

    No. From a dos prompt you can run net view which
    will give you a list of computers active on your network.

    "lundrog" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Would you have to know all the computer names on the domain to do
    that? I was hoping to find a way to search through the network, or get
    the info off the domain controler and get all the computers SIDs that
    way.
    >>> Thanks
    >>> lundrog

Detection Domain Windows