SID Duplication Detection On A Network

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 6, 2004 6:31:04 PM

SID Duplication Detection On A Network

Hello

We are running a large network. Around 2500 computers

Currently we are running Windows NT 4.0 domain controllers.

We are looking to upgrade those to windows 2000 active directory domain controllers.

However, we have been told that do to our disk cloning software we use. We need to eliminate any duplicate SIDs we have on our network before we do so.

But, we never recorded what computers where cloned, so we have no idea what computers have duplicate SID’s and what don’t

Our problem is that we are a health care organization, meaning we can’t down any of our servers or reboot many of or computers very often. So we can’t go to every computer to check.

So, we are looking for way to detect duplicate SID’s on our network.

Thanks

Lundrog
Anonymous
April 8, 2004 2:41:44 PM

I would look into an NT resource kit utility called
getsid.exe and a utility called Newsids. You should
be able to compare the SIDS and change them if
need be with these utilities.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/newsid.shtml

"lundrog" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> SID Duplication Detection On A Network
>
> Hello
>
> We are running a large network. Around 2500 computers
>
> Currently we are running Windows NT 4.0 domain controllers.
>
> We are looking to upgrade those to windows 2000 active directory
domain controllers.

> However, we have been told that do to our disk cloning software we
use. We need to eliminate any duplicate SIDs we have on our network
before we do so.

> But, we never recorded what computers where cloned, so we have no idea
what computers have duplicate SID's and what don't

> Our problem is that we are a health care organization, meaning we can'
t down any of our servers or reboot many of or computers very often. So
we can't go to every computer to check.

> So, we are looking for way to detect duplicate SID's on our network.
April 8, 2004 2:41:45 PM

Would you have to know all the computer names on the domain to do that? I was hoping to find a way to search through the network, or get the info off the domain controler and get all the computers SIDs that way.

Thanks

lundrog
April 13, 2004 2:03:04 PM

No. From a dos prompt you can run net view which
will give you a list of computers active on your network.

"lundrog" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Would you have to know all the computer names on the domain to do
that? I was hoping to find a way to search through the network, or get
the info off the domain controler and get all the computers SIDs that
way.

> Thanks
>

> lundrog
April 19, 2004 2:21:02 PM

Does that only work for computers running windows 2000 or xp? or any windows os?

!