NETDOM

Hi
i have tried to run Netdom in several ways,
I want to reset the secure channel between a member server and AD domain.
I tried to run it from det AD domaincontroller and also from the member
server but it dosent work

Is there anyone that could tell me how to do this right ?

I have reed the Knowledge Base-artikel reagrding this but with no success.

/Pe

You left out some details which must be clarified.
What version of netdom are you using? What OS
is running on the client?. What exact command did
you attempt and what exact error messages did you
receive?

"PE" <pe@ow.se> wrote in message
> i have tried to run Netdom in several ways,
> I want to reset the secure channel between a member server and AD
domain.
> I tried to run it from det AD domaincontroller and also from the
member
> server but it dosent work
>
> Is there anyone that could tell me how to do this right ?
>
> I have reed the Knowledge Base-artikel reagrding this but with no
success.

Hi
The version of netdom is 2.0
Below is the syntax and errormessage i recived when i run netdom from the
client (a memberserver W2K)´

the status of this memberserver is that it can't login to the w2k Domain.

here is the syntax i used :
netdom reset testinstall /domain:ghost usero:administrator
/password0:password

here is the errormsg:
The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain
failed.
The command failed to complete successfully.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:uu2fyqXHEHA.2300@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> You left out some details which must be clarified.
> What version of netdom are you using? What OS
> is running on the client?. What exact command did
> you attempt and what exact error messages did you
> receive?
>
> "PE" <pe@ow.se> wrote in message
> > i have tried to run Netdom in several ways,
> > I want to reset the secure channel between a member server and AD
> domain.
> > I tried to run it from det AD domaincontroller and also from the
> member
> > server but it dosent work
> >
> > Is there anyone that could tell me how to do this right ?
> >
> > I have reed the Knowledge Base-artikel reagrding this but with no
> success.

From the DC with domain admin access run the following
syntax:

NETDOM MEMBER \\DOMAINMEMBER /JOINDOMAIN

Resetting Domain Member Secure Channel
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175024

"PE" <pe@ow.se> wrote in message
> Hi
> The version of netdom is 2.0
> Below is the syntax and errormessage i recived when i run netdom from
the
> client (a memberserver W2K)´
>
> the status of this memberserver is that it can't login to the w2k
Domain.

> here is the syntax i used :
> netdom reset testinstall /domain:ghost usero:administrator
> /password0:password
>
> here is the errormsg:
> The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain
> failed.
> The command failed to complete successfully.
>

> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote
in
> message news:uu2fyqXHEHA.2300@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > You left out some details which must be clarified.
> > What version of netdom are you using? What OS
> > is running on the client?. What exact command did
> > you attempt and what exact error messages did you
> > receive?
> >
> > "PE" <pe@ow.se> wrote in message
> > > i have tried to run Netdom in several ways,
> > > I want to reset the secure channel between a member server and AD
> > domain.
> > > I tried to run it from det AD domaincontroller and also from the
> > member
> > > server but it dosent work
> > >
> > > Is there anyone that could tell me how to do this right ?
> > >
> > > I have reed the Knowledge Base-artikel reagrding this but with no
> > success.

i get the flowing errormessage with 1.8 and 2.0 of netdom

D:\gemensam>NETDOM MEMBER \\testinstall /JOINDOMAIN
NetDom 1.8 @1997-98. Written by Christophe Robert - Microsoft.
Searching PDC for domain GHOST ...
Found PDC \\SUN1GHOST
Connecting to \\SUN1GHOST ...
Querying domain information on PDC \\SUN1GHOST ...
Querying domain information on computer \\TESTINSTALL ...
Access is denied.

This is with Netdom for windows 2000:

D:\gemensam>NETDOM JOIN testinstall /DOMAIN:GHOST /USERD:ADMINISTRATOR
/PASSWORDO:pASSWORD
Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect.

message news:OaOjZ$kIEHA.3092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> From the DC with domain admin access run the following
> syntax:
>
> NETDOM MEMBER \\DOMAINMEMBER /JOINDOMAIN
>
> Resetting Domain Member Secure Channel
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175024
>

> "PE" <pe@ow.se> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > The version of netdom is 2.0
> > Below is the syntax and errormessage i recived when i run netdom from
> the
> > client (a memberserver W2K)´
> >
> > the status of this memberserver is that it can't login to the w2k
> Domain.
> >

> > here is the syntax i used :
> > netdom reset testinstall /domain:ghost usero:administrator
> > /password0:password
> >
> > here is the errormsg:
> > The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain
> > failed.
> > The command failed to complete successfully.
> >

> > "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote
> in
> > message news:uu2fyqXHEHA.2300@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > You left out some details which must be clarified.
> > > What version of netdom are you using? What OS
> > > is running on the client?. What exact command did
> > > you attempt and what exact error messages did you
> > > receive?

> > > domain.
> > > member

> > > success.

You shouldn't be running netdom version 1.8 on
an AD domain. I referenced the wrong MS KB
article. You have to use netdom 2.0 in W2k. Use
the following command:

netdom reset 'machinename' /domain:'domainname

Resetting Computer Accounts in Windows 2000 and Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216393

BTW do you want to join the computer to the domain or
reset the secure channel? If join you have the right command
but it must be run on a domain controller and the domain admin
account must be correct:

Using Netdom 2.0 to Create Computer Accounts on Admin-Specified Domain
Controllers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266651

"PE" <pe@ow.se> wrote in message
> i get the flowing errormessage with 1.8 and 2.0 of netdom
>

> D:\gemensam>NETDOM MEMBER \\testinstall /JOINDOMAIN
> NetDom 1.8 @1997-98. Written by Christophe Robert - Microsoft.
> Searching PDC for domain GHOST ...
> Found PDC \\SUN1GHOST
> Connecting to \\SUN1GHOST ...
> Querying domain information on PDC \\SUN1GHOST ...
> Querying domain information on computer \\TESTINSTALL ...
> Access is denied.
>
> This is with Netdom for windows 2000:
>
> D:\gemensam>NETDOM JOIN testinstall /DOMAIN:GHOST /USERD:ADMINISTRATOR
> /PASSWORDO:pASSWORD
> Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect.
> The command failed to complete successfully.

Never ending story ;)
when i run netdom 2.0 i got this errormessage

D:\gemensam>netdom reset testinstall /domain:ghost
Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect.
The command failed to complete successfully.

The original problem i have is that i have a ghost image that i want to
restore and the image was created when the machine was in the domain
after the restore the client (member or workstation) can't log in,with the
errormessage "The system cannot log you on to this domain because the
system's computer in it's primary domain is missing or the password on that
account is incorrect"
i know that one way is to logon locally on this member/client and use
network properties and disjoin and rejoin the domain,but i want to solve
this without doing anyting on the memeber/client

/PE

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:uOrDSMvIEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> You shouldn't be running netdom version 1.8 on
> an AD domain. I referenced the wrong MS KB
> article. You have to use netdom 2.0 in W2k. Use
> the following command:
>
> netdom reset 'machinename' /domain:'domainname
>
> Resetting Computer Accounts in Windows 2000 and Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216393
>
> BTW do you want to join the computer to the domain or
> reset the secure channel? If join you have the right command
> but it must be run on a domain controller and the domain admin
> account must be correct:
>
> Using Netdom 2.0 to Create Computer Accounts on Admin-Specified Domain
> Controllers
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266651
>
> "PE" <pe@ow.se> wrote in message
> > i get the flowing errormessage with 1.8 and 2.0 of netdom
> >

> > D:\gemensam>NETDOM MEMBER \\testinstall /JOINDOMAIN
> > NetDom 1.8 @1997-98. Written by Christophe Robert - Microsoft.
> > Searching PDC for domain GHOST ...
> > Found PDC \\SUN1GHOST
> > Connecting to \\SUN1GHOST ...
> > Querying domain information on PDC \\SUN1GHOST ...
> > Querying domain information on computer \\TESTINSTALL ...
> > Access is denied.
> >
> > This is with Netdom for windows 2000:
> >
> > D:\gemensam>NETDOM JOIN testinstall /DOMAIN:GHOST /USERD:ADMINISTRATOR
> > /PASSWORDO:pASSWORD
> > Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect.
> > The command failed to complete successfully.

Looking at the error it doesn't look like you
have a computer account on the domain. Open
the AD and look. If there is a computer account
remove it from the domain and use the join
command on a DC.