Windows 7 Activation

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows 7
November 3, 2009 2:17:53 AM

Hello,

I have purchased a Windows 7 Ultimate Edition. I installed it on my computer and activated online using the serial provided. I later removed windows 7 and installed Xp. Now, i am going to buy a new system and i want to use the windows 7 for this new system.

So, will there be any problem during the activation? Will there be any certain limit on the number of installs? or can i install as many times as i wish on different hardware, making sure that win 7 runs on only one system at any given time?

Thanks. :hello: 

More about : windows activation

November 3, 2009 2:29:23 AM

Retail or OEM?
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 3, 2009 2:30:50 AM

If you purchased a retail copy of Windows 7, you can transfer the license between computers (of course you can only have installed one PC at a time). OEM copies must stay with the first computer they are installed on to avoid breaking the license agreement.
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2009 2:31:42 AM

rodney_ws said:
Retail or OEM?

Its a retail version....
m
l
November 3, 2009 2:35:54 AM

The_Prophecy said:
If you purchased a retail copy of Windows 7, you can transfer the license between computers (of course you can only have installed one PC at a time). OEM copies must stay with the first computer they are installed on to avoid breaking the license agreement.

So, u mean, i can install as many times as i wish... and it will be activated online without any hassles. Right?
m
l

Best solution

November 3, 2009 2:36:51 AM

harshavarma said:
Hello,

I have purchased a Windows 7 Ultimate Edition. I installed it on my computer and activated online using the serial provided. I later removed windows 7 and installed Xp. Now, i am going to buy a new system and i want to use the windows 7 for this new system.

So, will there be any problem during the activation? Will there be any certain limit on the number of installs? or can i install as many times as i wish on different hardware, making sure that win 7 runs on only one system at any given time?

Thanks. :hello: 

Hi,
When you perform the installation on the new system you may need to contact Microsoft, since you already activated it. The number to call will appear when you try to activated Windows again. Now they're using an automated system and if doesn't go thru and you get a real person just explain that you have upgraded all the hardware or you are not using that old system anymore
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 3, 2009 2:40:16 AM

harshavarma said:
So, u mean, i can install as many times as i wish... and it will be activated online without any hassles. Right?

Not necessarily. You can activate over the internet a limited number of times (unless someone knows otherwise, I believe the limit is 10 times). After you hit the limit, you will need to call Microsoft to activate over the phone. Phone activation takes, at the most, 15 minutes to complete, but usually less.
m
l
November 3, 2009 2:43:35 AM

Thanks everybody. The replies are helpful.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 3, 2009 2:44:17 AM

You're welcome :) .
m
l
November 25, 2009 5:08:32 PM

I only got one install before now having to call Microsoft on Win7 Home. Two weeks after my 1st install I changed the mobo. Re-installed Win7 and the online activation failed. I was prompted with an product number for my install and a number to call. This product number is not the original key code.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 25, 2009 6:23:28 PM

Was the phone activation successful?
m
l
!