Harddrives die

It's nuts...
I built a machine for a friend of mine ...maybe 3 years ago...
It now has a total of 5 drives...some internal, some external...
and they seem they keep dying within 2 - 9 months.
All have been replaced under warranty
and none of the replacements have had any problems...some are over 2 year
old now.
I've used maxtor, western digital and seagate the latest has been a month
old seagate baracuda which is now the 5th drive that's gone.
as a precaution i even replaced the PS on the machine...but one has dies
since then.This seems to defy the odds!

BTW: each problem was a verifiable warranty problem...
but it's beyond anything i've ever experienced
9 answers Last reply
More about harddrives

    I'm seeing a bit of the same. Lost 7 drives in one lab
    .... all within a few days of each other. Then lost 2
    SATA drives ( Maxtor ), both only a few weeks old.
    I'm pretty sure, somebody in China has dropped
    quality control in the dirt. I'm seeing kind of the same
    thing with mobos. I've been through a bunch of RMAs
    this year .. new boards right out of the box failing.
    Even worse with new power supplies. I won't buy
    another power supply from Mwave.com. They come
    in DOA, or they immediately blow the mobo. Them
    furriners don't work by the same standards we do.
    They throw stuff together, and if it works, fine. If not,
    screw you! I won't touch a VIA chipset again. And
    I'm sure not going to buy another ASUS mobo. I just
    toss them now .. warranty or not. I simply can't afford
    the loss of productivity they represent. Maxtor is also
    on a very short leash with me. If you buy a 1 year
    warranty drive from them, I promise you it will fail
    about 2 days after the warranty runs out. Profits from
    outsourcing is going to cost these clowns their reputations.

    johns

    philo wrote:
    > It's nuts...
    > I built a machine for a friend of mine ...maybe 3 years ago...
    > It now has a total of 5 drives...some internal, some external...
    > and they seem they keep dying within 2 - 9 months.

    What temp are they running at? under 45C would be best.

    --
    -WD

    > It's nuts...
    > I built a machine for a friend of mine ...maybe 3 years ago...
    > It now has a total of 5 drives...some internal, some external...
    > and they seem they keep dying within 2 - 9 months.
    > All have been replaced under warranty
    > and none of the replacements have had any problems...some are over 2 year
    > old now.
    > I've used maxtor, western digital and seagate the latest has been a month
    > old seagate baracuda which is now the 5th drive that's gone.
    > as a precaution i even replaced the PS on the machine...but one has dies
    > since then.This seems to defy the odds!
    >
    > BTW: each problem was a verifiable warranty problem...
    > but it's beyond anything i've ever experienced

    Just sounds like bad luck to me. You keep buying defective drives.
    That the replacements work shows that there is nothing wrong with
    your computer.

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:51:55 +0000, Al Smith wrote:

    >> It's nuts...
    >> I built a machine for a friend of mine ...maybe 3 years ago...
    >> It now has a total of 5 drives...some internal, some external...

    <snip>
    > Just sounds like bad luck to me. You keep buying defective drives.
    > That the replacements work shows that there is nothing wrong with
    > your computer.

    Yes, I guess I was just venting a bit. The machine is used by a
    professional photographer who now has over 1Tb of HD's .
    He now knows what the word "backup" means !

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:36:59 -0400, Will Dormann wrote:

    > philo wrote:
    >> It's nuts...
    >> I built a machine for a friend of mine ...maybe 3 years ago...
    >> It now has a total of 5 drives...some internal, some external...
    >> and they seem they keep dying within 2 - 9 months.
    >
    > What temp are they running at? under 45C would be best.

    Truth is i did not take a reading, they are all warm to the touch...
    but not hot

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:18:03 -0700, johns wrote:

    > I'm seeing a bit of the same. Lost 7 drives in one lab
    > ... all within a few days of each other. Then lost 2
    > SATA drives ( Maxtor ), both only a few weeks old.
    > I'm pretty sure, somebody in China has dropped
    > quality control in the dirt. I'm seeing kind of the same
    > thing with mobos. I've been through a bunch of RMAs
    > this year .. new boards right out of the box failing.
    > Even worse with new power supplies. I won't buy
    > another power supply from Mwave.com. They come
    > in DOA, or they immediately blow the mobo. Them
    > furriners don't work by the same standards we do.
    > They throw stuff together, and if it works, fine. If not,
    > screw you! I won't touch a VIA chipset again. And
    > I'm sure not going to buy another ASUS mobo. I just
    > toss them now .. warranty or not. I simply can't afford
    > the loss of productivity they represent. Maxtor is also
    > on a very short leash with me. If you buy a 1 year
    > warranty drive from them, I promise you it will fail
    > about 2 days after the warranty runs out. Profits from
    > outsourcing is going to cost these clowns their reputations.

    Well I sure have done a lot of drive warranty over the past year or two.
    Gone are the days when you could install a harddrive and not even have to
    worry about it for 5 years!

    As far as motherboards...although I have not had any major problems with
    ASUS, I see nothing particularly special about them to justify all the
    raves I hear about.
    My main machine uses an ASUS with on-board video which is just as bad as
    any other cheapie mobo. OTOH: a few years back I built a machine with a
    very low priced ECS board and it's never had any problems.

    "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > It's nuts...
    > I built a machine for a friend of mine ...maybe 3 years ago...
    > It now has a total of 5 drives...some internal, some external...
    > and they seem they keep dying within 2 - 9 months.
    > All have been replaced under warranty
    > and none of the replacements have had any problems...some are over 2 year
    > old now.
    > I've used maxtor, western digital and seagate the latest has been a month
    > old seagate baracuda which is now the 5th drive that's gone.
    > as a precaution i even replaced the PS on the machine...but one has dies
    > since then.This seems to defy the odds!
    >
    > BTW: each problem was a verifiable warranty problem...
    > but it's beyond anything i've ever experienced

    Did you know that XP Pro has built in raid array support. You can get a
    tweak quite easily, so no need for any more hardware (e.g. raid controller)
    and you have a ready made backup, just in case!

    Grendel wrote:
    > "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> It's nuts...
    >> I built a machine for a friend of mine ...maybe 3 years ago...
    >> It now has a total of 5 drives...some internal, some external...
    >> and they seem they keep dying within 2 - 9 months.
    >> All have been replaced under warranty
    >> and none of the replacements have had any problems...some are over 2
    >> year old now.
    >> I've used maxtor, western digital and seagate the latest has been a
    >> month old seagate baracuda which is now the 5th drive that's gone.
    >> as a precaution i even replaced the PS on the machine...but one has
    >> dies since then.This seems to defy the odds!
    >>
    >> BTW: each problem was a verifiable warranty problem...
    >> but it's beyond anything i've ever experienced
    >
    > Did you know that XP Pro has built in raid array support. You can
    > get a tweak quite easily, so no need for any more hardware (e.g. raid
    > controller) and you have a ready made backup, just in case!

    There was a write up on THG about this as a software raid solution in XP and
    IF I recall correctly 2000. While it did offer the raid function, it is not
    bootable.

    "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > It's nuts...
    > I built a machine for a friend of mine ...maybe 3 years ago...
    > It now has a total of 5 drives...some internal, some external...
    > and they seem they keep dying within 2 - 9 months.
    > All have been replaced under warranty
    > and none of the replacements have had any problems...some are over 2 year
    > old now.
    > I've used maxtor, western digital and seagate the latest has been a month
    > old seagate baracuda which is now the 5th drive that's gone.
    > as a precaution i even replaced the PS on the machine...but one has dies
    > since then.This seems to defy the odds!
    >
    > BTW: each problem was a verifiable warranty problem...
    > but it's beyond anything i've ever experienced

    My belief is that keeping drives as cool as possible is paramount. In my
    present case, an Antec (Chieftec) with two 80mm fans in rear and one
    directly in front of the drive bay keeps the drives luke-warm to the touch.
    My PATA is now 38°C in a 26° room, and the SATA's (Raptor 36gb) usually run
    even cooler. (Can't check them since they're in a RAID array.)

    Try adding more air circulation on the drives themselves and I'll bet your
    failure rate takes a plunge.

Homebuilt Hard Drives Systems