"Replication of the SAM User..." failed

I've done a lot of searching, including MS Knowledgebase & GOOGLE groups
searches for information about the following error to no avail. I hope
someone here can help....

I have a primary domain controller and one backup domain controller in a
network with around 20 computers total. Both are running Window NT 4.0 sp6.
This arrangement has been working for several years. The problem has
appeared only in the last month or so.

The system event log on the BDC contains a series of messages that repeat
about every 5 minutes. The first message has Event ID=5716 with the
following Description: "The partial synchronization replication of the SAM
database from the primary domain controller <Our PDC name> failed with the
following error: The specified user does not exist".

This is then followed by EventID 5732: "Replication of the SAM User <one of
my user accounts here> from primary domain controller <the PDC mentioned
above> failed with the following error: The specified user does not exist."
This message is repeated 8 times.

This is then followed by another Event ID 5732 for another user account.
That message appears just once.

Finally, this is followed by a repeat of the earlier EventID 5716.

I ran GETSID for these two accounts, and I get messages that these accounts
can't be found on the server that is the BDC.Both accounts are listed in the
User manager for domains. And changes made to these accounts in the User
manager, e.g. giving them membership in additional groups, proceeds without
errors. And, these changes are correctly reflected on the PDC.

Attempts to log on to the BDC using these accounts also fail.

Thanks for your help in solving this problem.

Jim
5 answers Last reply
More about replication user failed

    Additional information:

    I have tried running nltest /sync /server: <BDC_name> to force a full
    synchronization but this apparently fails as well. The event log shows that
    replication of LSA & BuiltIn accounts succeeds, but that replication of the
    SAM database fails with the same error as before, i.e. that these two user
    accounts don't exist.

    Sounds like I need to repair the SAM on my BDC.

    I appreciate your suggestions.

    Jim

    "Jim Walsh" <jwalshREM@OVEXXtuspm.temple.edu> wrote in message
    > I've done a lot of searching, including MS Knowledgebase & GOOGLE groups
    > searches for information about the following error to no avail. I hope
    > someone here can help....
    >
    > I have a primary domain controller and one backup domain controller in a
    > network with around 20 computers total. Both are running Window NT 4.0
    sp6.
    > This arrangement has been working for several years. The problem has
    > appeared only in the last month or so.
    >
    > The system event log on the BDC contains a series of messages that repeat
    > about every 5 minutes. The first message has Event ID=5716 with the
    > following Description: "The partial synchronization replication of the SAM
    > database from the primary domain controller <Our PDC name> failed with the
    > following error: The specified user does not exist".
    >
    > This is then followed by EventID 5732: "Replication of the SAM User <one
    of
    > my user accounts here> from primary domain controller <the PDC mentioned
    > above> failed with the following error: The specified user does not
    exist."
    > This message is repeated 8 times.
    >
    > This is then followed by another Event ID 5732 for another user account.
    > That message appears just once.
    >
    > Finally, this is followed by a repeat of the earlier EventID 5716.
    >
    > I ran GETSID for these two accounts, and I get messages that these
    accounts
    > can't be found on the server that is the BDC.Both accounts are listed in
    the
    > User manager for domains. And changes made to these accounts in the User
    > manager, e.g. giving them membership in additional groups, proceeds
    without
    > errors. And, these changes are correctly reflected on the PDC.
    >
    > Attempts to log on to the BDC using these accounts also fail.
    >
    > Thanks for your help in solving this problem.
    >
    > Jim

    You could look for LSA corruption:

    Recovering from Minor LSA Corruption
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;199071

    If that doesn't work try deleting the netlogon.chg
    file. As a last resort you can delete the SAM on
    the BDC and reboot, a new one will be replicated
    from the PDC.

    "Jim Walsh" <jwalshREM@OVEXXtuspm.temple.edu> wrote in message
    > Additional information:
    >
    > I have tried running nltest /sync /server: <BDC_name> to force a full
    > synchronization but this apparently fails as well. The event log shows
    that
    > replication of LSA & BuiltIn accounts succeeds, but that replication
    of the
    > SAM database fails with the same error as before, i.e. that these two
    user
    > accounts don't exist.
    >
    > Sounds like I need to repair the SAM on my BDC.
    >
    > I appreciate your suggestions.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Michael,

    Thanks for your quick reply.

    It seems to me that your last suggestion is the appropriate one for me
    because:

    1. The event viewer on the BDC says that LSA database and BuiltIn accounts
    have been replicated successfully. The error seems to be in the attempt to
    replicate the SAM.

    2. I would expect that Full synchronization would bypass the netlogon.chg
    file.

    But, how do I delete the SAM file on the BDC? When I attempt to do that, it
    says a sharing violation; it is in use.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Jim

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:eqqubSMIEHA.2376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > You could look for LSA corruption:
    >
    > Recovering from Minor LSA Corruption
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;199071
    >
    > If that doesn't work try deleting the netlogon.chg
    > file. As a last resort you can delete the SAM on
    > the BDC and reboot, a new one will be replicated
    > from the PDC.
    >
    > "Jim Walsh" <jwalshREM@OVEXXtuspm.temple.edu> wrote in message
    > > Additional information:
    > >
    > > I have tried running nltest /sync /server: <BDC_name> to force a full
    > > synchronization but this apparently fails as well. The event log shows
    > that
    > > replication of LSA & BuiltIn accounts succeeds, but that replication
    > of the
    > > SAM database fails with the same error as before, i.e. that these two
    > user
    > > accounts don't exist.
    > >
    > > Sounds like I need to repair the SAM on my BDC.
    > >
    > > I appreciate your suggestions.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    An easy method is to use a W2k boot disk and boot
    to c prompt then run: cd\winnt\system32\config. You
    should see the following:

    C:\WINNT\system32\config
    next run: del sam

    "Jim Walsh" <jwalshREM@OVEXXtuspm.temple.edu> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your quick reply.
    >
    > It seems to me that your last suggestion is the appropriate one for me
    > because:
    >
    > 1. The event viewer on the BDC says that LSA database and BuiltIn
    accounts
    > have been replicated successfully. The error seems to be in the
    attempt to
    > replicate the SAM.
    >
    > 2. I would expect that Full synchronization would bypass the
    netlogon.chg
    > file.
    >
    > But, how do I delete the SAM file on the BDC? When I attempt to do
    that, it
    > says a sharing violation; it is in use.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    You'll need to either boot a W2k disk into DOS and
    delete the file or move the HD to a slave on another
    NT system.

    "Jim Walsh" <jwalshREM@OVEXXtuspm.temple.edu> wrote in message
    > Michael,
    >
    > Thanks for your quick reply.
    >
    > It seems to me that your last suggestion is the appropriate one for me
    > because:
    >
    > 1. The event viewer on the BDC says that LSA database and BuiltIn accounts
    > have been replicated successfully. The error seems to be in the attempt to
    > replicate the SAM.
    >
    > 2. I would expect that Full synchronization would bypass the netlogon.chg
    > file.
    >
    > But, how do I delete the SAM file on the BDC? When I attempt to do that,
    it
    > says a sharing violation; it is in use.

Domain Controller Windows