Transfering Hard Drive

BP

My P4 system is out of commission for a while. I have a PII system I can use
while I repair it. But I need to transfer some user files from the HDD on
the P4 System (a 120 GB ATA133) to the HDD on the PII (66 mhz bus). I plan
to plug the HDD in as a slave on the PII and then transfer the files from
one drive to the other. I have 2 drives in the PII: a 6GB with W98 on it in
one partition C:, and a 30GB drive with user files on 3 partitions. The P4
drive has 4 partitions: C: with WXP on it, and 3 user files partitions.
If I disconnect the 30G drive and set up the 120GB drive as slave and plug
it in, is that all I will need to do? Or is there more prep and
configuration that needs to be done to make this work?
Any pointers very welcomed. TIA.

Philo

On Sun, 01 May 2005 19:32:58 -0400, BP wrote:

> My P4 system is out of commission for a while. I have a PII system I can use
> while I repair it. But I need to transfer some user files from the HDD on
> the P4 System (a 120 GB ATA133) to the HDD on the PII (66 mhz bus). I plan
> to plug the HDD in as a slave on the PII and then transfer the files from
> one drive to the other. I have 2 drives in the PII: a 6GB with W98 on it in
> one partition C:, and a 30GB drive with user files on 3 partitions. The P4
> drive has 4 partitions: C: with WXP on it, and 3 user files partitions.
> If I disconnect the 30G drive and set up the 120GB drive as slave and plug
> it in, is that all I will need to do? Or is there more prep and
> configuration that needs to be done to make this work?
> Any pointers very welcomed. TIA.

there is no problem with putting the 120 gig drive in your P-II...
however...assuming that it's formatted as NTFS...
if your P-II has win9x on it...it will not be able to read the drive.
if your P-II has NT4, win2k or XP
you should be OK.

ther can also be problems if your bios does not see the larger drive...
but sometimes the OS can see it...even if the bios cannot

BP wrote:

> My P4 system is out of commission for a while. I have a PII system I can use
> while I repair it. But I need to transfer some user files from the HDD on
> the P4 System (a 120 GB ATA133) to the HDD on the PII (66 mhz bus). I plan
> to plug the HDD in as a slave on the PII and then transfer the files from
> one drive to the other. I have 2 drives in the PII: a 6GB with W98 on it in
> one partition C:, and a 30GB drive with user files on 3 partitions. The P4
> drive has 4 partitions: C: with WXP on it, and 3 user files partitions.
> If I disconnect the 30G drive and set up the 120GB drive as slave and plug
> it in, is that all I will need to do? Or is there more prep and
> configuration that needs to be done to make this work?
> Any pointers very welcomed. TIA.

Two potential problems. First, it's likely that your old P-II BIOS can't
handle a drive that large. See if there's a BIOS update for it.

Second, Windows98 can't read NTFS partitions so if your XP drive is
formatted NTFS you'll need to find a third party means to read it.

One 'free' way to accomplish that, assuming you get past the BIOS
situation, would be to download one of the Linux 'repair' Live CDs that
boot and can read both NTFS and FAT32 partitions and use that to copy from
the XP drive to a Windows98 partition. The 'live CDs' need no installation
and run completely from the CD itself.

Another 'free' one is this DOS NTFS reader.

http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

Instructions:

http://www.ntfs.com/downloads/ntfs.txt