GA-7N400 Pro2 - Memory Problems...

Edge

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2003

Hi there (I also posted this in the Gigabyte section, but not sure
where I'd get better/quicker assistance) :? Sorry for posting it
twice.

Anyway,

I've been using my current setup for the past months and decided to
try out a memory boost. I've been running an AMD 3000+ (32bit) on my
board, with 1gig of ram (OCZ PC3500 Dual Kit, 2x512MB (I realise the
motherboard only supports PC3200 so it's running as such) and
everything's been swimmingly.

Keeping with the setup, I bought another dual kit of OCZ PC3200 this
time, 2x512MB.

However, when I go to install them, both the BIOS, System Info in
Windows, and the boot screen shows that I only have the 1gig
operating. I tried swapping in a friend's 4 512 pieces of 3200 which
work on his computer (different board), with no luck. I also made
sure these two new chips worked by having only them in and they work
fine.

Am I missing a setting in my BIOS, or a jumper somewhere? Any help or
guidance would be appreciated... I'm baffled as to why its not
working.

Thanks for the help.

edge wrote:

> Hi there (I also posted this in the Gigabyte section, but not sure
> where I'd get better/quicker assistance) :? Sorry for posting it
> twice.
>
> Anyway,
>
> I've been using my current setup for the past months and decided to
> try out a memory boost. I've been running an AMD 3000+ (32bit) on my
> board, with 1gig of ram (OCZ PC3500 Dual Kit, 2x512MB (I realise the
> motherboard only supports PC3200 so it's running as such) and
> everything's been swimmingly.
>
> Keeping with the setup, I bought another dual kit of OCZ PC3200 this
> time, 2x512MB.
>
> However, when I go to install them, both the BIOS, System Info in
> Windows, and the boot screen shows that I only have the 1gig
> operating. I tried swapping in a friend's 4 512 pieces of 3200 which
> work on his computer (different board), with no luck. I also made
> sure these two new chips worked by having only them in and they work
> fine.
>

> Am I missing a setting in my BIOS, or a jumper somewhere? Any help or
> guidance would be appreciated... I'm baffled as to why its not
> working.
>
> Thanks for the help.

According to the manual for that board if you have double sided sticks in
the first two slots you can either add one more double sided stick or two
single sided, but not two more double sided.

I'll bet the OCZ is double sided, which means you could only add one of the
two you bought.

http://america.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7n400pro2_e.pdf