moving to new server with win 2k server

I just purchased a new server running win 2k and I am wanting to move my users and exchange 5.5 from a current NT 4.0 box that is both the pdc and the exchange server. Any suggestions on how to make this move not so unbearable.
6 answers Last reply
More about moving server server

    This is not an easy task and is basically an upgrade to Win2k Active
    Directory domain. Windows 2000 cannot be a domain controller in a NT4
    domain. You should do some research on this.

    www.microsoft.com/activedirectory

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "wsi4421usa" <bglenn@waortho.com> wrote in message
    > I just purchased a new server running win 2k and I am wanting to move my
    users and exchange 5.5 from a current NT 4.0 box that is both the pdc and
    the exchange server. Any suggestions on how to make this move not so
    unbearable.

    I plan on migrating the entire domain to win 2k. I currently only have one nt 4.0 server and the others are a unix box and a 2000 server running SQL.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I would install another WinNT4 machine as a BDC and then promote this box to
    PDC and then upgrade that machine to Win2k and Active Directory. This way if
    anything fails you can promote the original PDC back to a PDC and remove the
    failed machine and your domain will not be affected at all. This gives you a
    fail safe for the upgrade. Be sure you understand that DNS is imperative to
    functioning correctly and all of your internal clients must use your
    internal DNS server within an AD domain.

    --

    > I plan on migrating the entire domain to win 2k. I currently only have one
    nt 4.0 server and the others are a unix box and a 2000 server running SQL.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I would do this however, I don't have the upgrade software I only have the recovery software sent with the dell server. There is still the issue of the exchange server which is currently running on the pdc. I do have a machine I brought up as a bdc, but the media for the upgrade to win 2k and the exchange server are the sticking points for this upgrade to be accomplised the way we both had in mind. That is the quandry I am having.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Well if you can't upgrade the NT4 PDC then you will have to install Windows
    2000 as a separate AD domain and use ADMT to migrate the users and computer
    to the new domain. It certainly works pretty good but will take a little
    more work and a touching of all the client machines. But you will have a
    Trust setup between the 2 domains so both will still function until the task
    is complete. This is about your only option if you do not have the necessary
    CD's.

    --

    > I would do this however, I don't have the upgrade software I only have the
    recovery software sent with the dell server. There is still the issue of the
    exchange server which is currently running on the pdc. I do have a machine I
    brought up as a bdc, but the media for the upgrade to win 2k and the
    exchange server are the sticking points for this upgrade to be accomplised
    the way we both had in mind. That is the quandry I am having.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I have a similar task, need to replace an old NT4 box
    domain with a 2000. Where do I get this ADMT tool from?

    Cheers
    Ed

Exchange Server Microsoft Servers Windows